What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Walsh

Big Pete

Referee
Off to the Warriors for 3 years.

Deal is rumoured to be around $600,000 - O'Sullivan was looking to find Brown his next Ponga and went all in.

Disappointing and there's a larger conversation to have around player development but they had Tuivasa-Sheck money to play with while Brisbane are trying to sort the balance of their roster out.

Big Pete

Referee
Courier Mail is reporting it's worth $450,000 which is actually very reasonable for a starting fullback in the NRL.

If Walters thought Walsh was good enough to be his starting fullback than he's got rocks in his head only offering him $250,000.

Showtime

Juniors
Courier Mail is reporting it's worth $450,000 which is actually very reasonable for a starting fullback in the NRL.

If Walters thought Walsh was good enough to be his starting fullback than he's got rocks in his head only offering him $250,000.

I thought the warriors were an interesting choice given they have a rubbish spine but then I looked at our team list this week.

Who’s responsible for our roster management? Outside of Milfords ridiculous contact, where does the money go?

hellteam

First Grade
Baffling move by us.... I get we don't want to overpay but sometimes you need to take a punt. We should have done it with Munster years ago. Maybe our coaches don't rate him.

Anyway if he's gone I don't really see the point in developing him all year... Let him go to Warriors/Redcliffe now and bring in someone else.

Nicho Hynes maybe?

Big Pete

Referee
I thought the warriors were an interesting choice given they have a rubbish spine but then I looked at our team list this week.

Who’s responsible for our roster management? Outside of Milfords ridiculous contact, where does the money go?

Seibold, Nolan, Lockyer and White.

Bennett also played a role.

However it's largely a botched attempt at a rebuild which happened to coincide with a global pandemic. Brisbane can't begin the recovery process until Donaghy officially joins the club in May and even then who knows?

hellteam said:
Baffling move by us.... I get we don't want to overpay but sometimes you need to take a punt. We should have done it with Munster years ago. Maybe our coaches don't rate him.

Anyway if he's gone I don't really see the point in developing him all year... Let him go to Warriors/Redcliffe now and bring in someone else.

Nicho Hynes maybe?

That's the type of player they should be looking at, just honest players who are looking for an opportunity and can do the job.

I wouldn't rush to any decision. The game changes so much so quickly I'd just let things play out a couple of weeks and see how the options stack up.

I don't blame the Warriors for exploiting the situation, but it's another instance of how ridiculous the lack of a trade window is. Walsh has basically been assured the fullback spot for the next three seasons after doing nothing in either QCup or in the NRL. I don't see how it's fair on the club that did the lion share on developing the player or on the market when the Warriors are essentially taking a punt.

Grizzman

Juniors
I don't see how it's fair on the club that did the lion share on developing the player or on the market when the Warriors are essentially taking a punt.[/QUOTE]

I love the irony of this situation. We've had Broncos talent scouts (along with plenty of other clubs) lurking around our junior games for years. Its not a complaint ... just an observation. Its also nice to see one come back our way for a change. He looks like a pretty decent talent ... so thanks :)

Big Pete

Referee
I don't see how it's fair on the club that did the lion share on developing the player or on the market when the Warriors are essentially taking a punt.

I love the irony of this situation. We've had Broncos talent scouts (along with plenty of other clubs) lurking around our junior games for years. Its not a complaint ... just an observation. Its also nice to see one come back our way for a change. He looks like a pretty decent talent ... so thanks :)[/QUOTE]

Apples and oranges, it'd be one thing if you happened to sign him when he's 16 and has had barely any development put into him by the club another to wait until he's ready and throw large sums of cash before he's even played a second of QCup just to take a punt.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Apples and oranges, it'd be one thing if you happened to sign him when he's 16 and has had barely any development put into him by the club another to wait until he's ready and throw large sums of cash before he's even played a second of QCup just to take a punt.

Come on, as if Broncos (or other teams) have never signed a young talent like this. Sounds like it’s more than just a punt, many have him touted as one of the next superstars.

And again, if we’ve only offered him around $150k more than you, it’s not like we’ve priced you out of the equation, looks like your management haven’t don’t enough to keep him on the books

Big Pete

Referee
Come on, as if Broncos (or other teams) have never signed a young talent like this. Sounds like it’s more than just a punt, many have him touted as one of the next superstars.

And again, if we’ve only offered him around $150k more than you, it’s not like we’ve priced you out of the equation, looks like your management haven’t don’t enough to keep him on the books

I'm not blaming your club for taking a punt on a Schoolboys prospect, I'm advocating for a trade window so clubs are given every opportunity to hold onto juniors they worked hard to develop into NRL talent, save clubs from making desperation signings and stop clubs from being pressured by the media to let talents go early.

I don't think the Broncos have ever offered a player 400-500K without seeing them at least play some form of professional football, no.

Nerd

Bench
Maybe he will become a superstar, maybe he will become an Ash Taylor. I think we did ok not paying overs for someone who has never played one NRL game. Paying on potential is how we got our roster into this mess.

Nerd

Bench
If Reece Walsh turns out to be another star and we missed out on him what's the answer. Should a broom be put through the current retention committee for poor talent identification?

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I still think that paying overs to keep unproven potential is what got us in the mess we find our self in at the moment. Boyd retired last year which freed up funds, Bird was moved on and Milford's contract end's this year which will see his contract vastly reduced or not resigned, we really now only have Lodge on a long term deal in his favour weighing the roster down.

blaza88z

Coach
He might be a star, could well be a dud too

400k before playing an NRL game is what the Warriors are willing to throw at him to find out, we're not in the position to be doing that

Showtime

Juniors
I don’t know how accurate the list was but I had a look at the players coming off contract at the end of 2021 and it was pretty average. A couple of players that were interesting were Adam Reynolds and Dale Finucane. Both Morris brothers but I doubt they’d leave the chooks if they play on.

DeeJ

Bench
He might be a star, could well be a dud too

400k before playing an NRL game is what the Warriors are willing to throw at him to find out, we're not in the position to be doing that

The problem is it's going to look like a terrible decision if he turns out to be a gun. Then again, if he really was showing those signs, I'm sure he would be ahead of Isaako, who is rubbish.

blaza88z

Coach
The problem is it's going to look like a terrible decision if he turns out to be a gun. Then again, if he really was showing those signs, I'm sure he would be ahead of Isaako, who is rubbish.

But then they re-signed one of the young backrowers to the same deal (400k a year, hasn't played a game) and the lads on NRL 360 shot it down as poor recruitment

blaza88z

Coach
They've offered Staggs 700k a year for 4 years, I think it's a reasonable offer.

I am sure other clubs will come chiming in with much bigger deals given the quality of player he is but he has been vocal about his love for the club and wanting to be at the club for life, I think he himself would appreciate that 700k is a good deal given where he is at

Jordan Riki re-signing was huge, we lost him and it would've been a disaster

DeeJ

Bench
But then they re-signed one of the young backrowers to the same deal (400k a year, hasn't played a game) and the lads on NRL 360 shot it down as poor recruitment

It could be a reaction to losing Walsh perhaps. Though in perspective, I think a fullback is more valuable than a backrower in our side at the moment.

blaza88z

Coach
It could be a reaction to losing Walsh perhaps. Though in perspective, I think a fullback is more valuable than a backrower in our side at the moment.

We still got Staggs and Corey Oates to come back into the side

Wouldn't be surprised to see Tesi Niu get the #1 jersey at some point, whoever it is we are going to have to give them time and develop them.

Nerd

Bench
Is it possible that Milford gets pushed back to fullback, Croft to 5/8 and Dearden to 7?