What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref and Bunker Decisions

I wasn’t aware of this. That makes it even worse - serious questions need to be asked of Annesley.
1 - Why was it ok back then? Allowing that to happen was a ridiculous decision - it’s an obvious conflict of interest risk. Even without questioning her integrity, you just get rid of the risk anyway, if nothing else but to avoid the perception/question…
2 - Why has he now changed his stance? Can her integrity no longer be trusted? Or does he admit they got it wrong previously?

Annesley is out of his depth and the game is poorer for it.

I suspect things like "conflict of interests" was not something they would have considered asking referees about. I mean not all work places have a code of conduct requiring such disclosures. Lesson learned for the NRL on this point.

As to why he changed his stance? Now, being aware of the matter, if they did nothing, then the perceived conflict of interest and suggestions of bias would grow. Like her or not, I dare say she hasn't been biased towards Souths or against any opponents, but keep her away from games involving Souths negates any perception of a conflict of interest. I've done enough ethics training to know that it can as much about perceived bias as actual bias.

kurt faulk

Coach
You do realise that this happens in a number of sports. In the US, many ex-officials are employed by NFL and NBA teams. TV networks often have an ex-official available during the coverage to explain decisions made during the game.

I wish the nrl would do this. Too many dumbos whining about correct calls.