What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referee Peter Gough the worst referee in the NRL. Maybe the world.

Gareth67

First Grade
That is where they opened Pandora’s Box - by allowing the opposition to ‘ steal ‘ the ball . From then on anything goes and there are some coaches who simply thrive on the illegal aspects of the game .

They teach their players to come to the tenth degree of getting away with illegal plays and not incurring the wrath of the referee .

Of course nowadays it is par for course , it is an accepted part of the game , also to the detriment of the game .

ralph18

Juniors
What is a bigger blight on the sport that really shits me to tears is ball stealing.....I can accept to a point a loose carry but when blokes grapple/reaf or grab the ball from another player is crap....it's not Rugby League in its true sense imo just I'm bigger and strong than you give it here....absolutely hate it.
Completely agree.

It's not a good spectacle to see a defender more determined to strip the ball than simply attempting to tackle. Just looks bad.

The stripping rules need to be reviewed.

redVinme

Juniors
Annesley’s review confirms the error by Sutton taking the wrong advice from the touch judge. No apologies given and no remorse whatsoever other than an oh well attitude. Why didn’t the stupid bunker step in and correct it they do for every other minute incident.
The NRL are an absolute joke!
Also couldn't challenge because it was "too late" if it was Yeo or Luai they would have let them chat about it for 15 secs, then 15 secs with the ref saying do you wanna challenge over and over almost insinuating they should and then finally it would happen. Same for Munster, Hynes and whoever else the the NRL has a hard on for at the time.

Not the dragons though.

Dragon David

First Grade
This is what Annesley said -

The Dragons can feel aggrieved after the NRL confirmed referee Chris Sutton made a mistake by ruling a knock on against Mathew Feagai when the ball went backwards by about five metres.
Sutton initially called play on but was overruled by a touch judge which directly led to a Panthers try in the following set.

“It’s clearly an incorrect decision,” Annesley said.
“The irony of this and the disappointing thing about this – not only for the NRL and the Dragons but for the referee himself because he made the right decision – was that he got it right and was talked out of it by someone else.
“Had he stuck with his initial reaction to this incident that he had already made then I wouldn’t be standing here talking about it. I know he will be gutted by that, as are the Dragons and the NRL because we don’t want to see these things happening.”times for

f**k these useless bastards officiating our games. Make sure that they don't officiate anymore of our games. If they do send in a complaint. We get treated badly - it is so obvious.

I think that if the officials get it wrong, they should get docked half of their pay and two weeks out. Maybe more, but something to stop them making these mistakes. Why didn't Sutton just allow Sloan to keep running after he said three times that the ball went backwards and then after the try is scored just have the bunker confirm. Fancy letting a shit head touchy over rule him, the weak kneed bastard. I'm sick to death of them all.

blacksafake

First Grade
This is what Annesley said -

The Dragons can feel aggrieved after the NRL confirmed referee Chris Sutton made a mistake by ruling a knock on against Mathew Feagai when the ball went backwards by about five metres.
Sutton initially called play on but was overruled by a touch judge which directly led to a Panthers try in the following set.

“It’s clearly an incorrect decision,” Annesley said.
“The irony of this and the disappointing thing about this – not only for the NRL and the Dragons but for the referee himself because he made the right decision – was that he got it right and was talked out of it by someone else.
“Had he stuck with his initial reaction to this incident that he had already made then I wouldn’t be standing here talking about it. I know he will be gutted by that, as are the Dragons and the NRL because we don’t want to see these things happening.”times for

f**k these useless bastards officiating our games. Make sure that they don't officiate anymore of our games. If they do send in a complaint. We get treated badly - it is so obvious.

I think that if the officials get it wrong, they should get docked half of their pay and two weeks out. Maybe more, but something to stop them making these mistakes. Why didn't Sutton just allow Sloan to keep running after he said three times that the ball went backwards and then after the try is scored just have the bunker confirm. Fancy letting a shit head touchy over rule him, the weak kneed bastard. I'm sick to death of them all.
No Annesley the ref didn’t get it right as you say. He didn’t have the guts to stick to his guns & did the weak thing by changing his mind.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Christ Sutton saw Sloan in the clear and thought the best option to go against Saints was to listen to the touch judge make his dodgy call and let him cop the blame. Chris Sutton is by far the worst ref in my books when it comes to Saints games. He must get so much joy having the power to ruin our games.

Slightly off subject but once again last night , Cronulla get the 6 agains when no one else does. I think back to last week when we copped so many against us and saw the same thing last night. Cronulla apparently can do no wrong- constantly holding down in the ruck yet rarely penalised, but getting fast play the balls themselves. Finally watching the stupid fwit with the whistle giving the Tigers some penalties at 76 mins when the game was well and truly over. Ive watched this all season, and they give end of game penalties so the count looks balanced when 3 penalties in a row at the 78th minute is useless. How that last try was given and reviewed so quickly was beyond me. Not sure who Cronulla are paying but they’re getting their moneys worth

jeffdragon

Bench
Slightly off subject but once again last night , Cronulla get the 6 agains when no one else does. I think back to last week when we copped so many against us and saw the same thing last night. Cronulla apparently can do no wrong- constantly holding down in the ruck yet rarely penalised, but getting fast play the balls themselves. Finally watching the stupid fwit with the whistle giving the Tigers some penalties at 76 mins when the game was well and truly over. Ive watched this all season, and they give end of game penalties so the count looks balanced when 3 penalties in a row at the 78th minute is useless. How that last try was given and reviewed so quickly was beyond me. Not sure who Cronulla are paying but they’re getting their moneys worth
And suddenly all the six agains dry up in the 2nd half as the imbassile in charge tries to assert his authority in the 1st half.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Yeah Cronulla are favourites when it comes to the whistle. Regardless, that ranga Todd Smith who was reffing is probably worse than Gough or Sutton if I'm honest.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yeah f**k these refs piss me off too much. They actually make you not want to watch the sport. The funny thing is, it's bloody fixable. Stop giving them all the power in the world, make them accountable for their actions, and just simplify what is, and always has been, a simply bloody game.
Absolutely agree Kogarah Warrior , they can get rid of that bloody bunker and the captains challenge ( the most ridiculous aspect of the game to date ) , only then will a degree of sanity return to the game .