What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refs threaten strike Round 1

Last Week

Bench
A referee shouldn't be doing on field work more than once a week, excluding mid week Origin.

They shouldn't have to back up from a night game within 24 hours in any role.

simmo05

Bench
A referee shouldn't be doing on field work more than once a week, excluding mid week Origin.

And the game day coach bit, wtf is that all about??

LineBall

Juniors

siv

First Grade

Only role I would have them attend is the post match MRC review session with 2 club officials, video ref and 2 touch judges and a MRC representative

Willie Ray

Bench
Can tell you've never refereed anything in your life.

Much harder job than playing. Playing is actually fun and you get the rewards of winning and a good time with your mates. Refereeing isn't fun and you have to put up with abuse from players and fans and your reward at the end is everyone hates you for helping the game out doing a job no one else wants to do.

No way would I do it if I wasn't paid. And no way would I ever ref at professional level if I wasn't paid very well - enough to set me up for life after retirement.

And don't train strenuously every week? I run 6km reffing an U16s game. NRL refs would do way more. I'm sure they just sit on the couch all week waiting for the game.
Good for you Springs,reffing the juniors playing the greatest game of all...
much respect...
you're a good egg.

no name

Coach
Yeah, cause that's how it works.

If the NRL refs go on strike there's no one who actually knows the NRL refereeing system. All levels below the NRL are reffed differently. We are specifically told not to copy the NRL refs because the NRL is an entertainment product and the refs are instructed how to police the game to increase the entertainment value, rather than just police the rules like we do at all other levels.
Another example on how NRL and rugby league are different sports.

thorson1987

Coach
Yeah, cause that's how it works.

If the NRL refs go on strike there's no one who actually knows the NRL refereeing system. All levels below the NRL are reffed differently. We are specifically told not to copy the NRL refs because the NRL is an entertainment product and the refs are instructed how to police the game to increase the entertainment value, rather than just police the rules like we do at all other levels.

Which is what really pisses me off.

The game should be reffed the same way from top to bottom (allowing for differences with Safe Play Code)

stormbati

Bench
Pay them I say. If they’re going to be made scapegoats every week then they may aswell get paid well for it.

siv

First Grade
As a season ticket holder and pay-tv subscriber

I would like to seek compensation if strike action occurs

Ala events of 1996 round 1 fiasco

Zadar

Juniors
Sounds like it's the conditions/workload/rostering that should be changed.

FYI, if the refs get this increase, they'll be getting more than what NFL referees do. And they work part time.

Probably because there is absolutely no fitness required to be an nfl ref, they ref into their 60s.

skeepe

Immortal

Danish

Referee
I’d much rather the money be spent on giving refs in the lower grades and juniors a pay rise than topping up the accounts of the f**kers at the top.

What does a ref in the NSWRL make? f**king nothing. Reffing a junior game? Even less. And those f**kers are getting assaulted and abused after games.

The NRL should have no full time referees. They should instead inject money into the NSWRL and QRL lower grade ref squads with blanket payrises across the board, and simply allow those squads to assign their best local refs to handle the NRL games in their areas on a given weekend - with a nice match payment to go with it.

Increasing the incentive to become a lower grade and junior ref is where we need to focus. Not in lining the pockets of the nepotistic elite f**kwits at the top

Latest posts