What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refs

taxidriver

Coach
NSW coach Laurie Daley has demanded a full report into the sub-standard performance of referees Shayne Hayne and Ashley Klein, who were yesterday accused of being intimidated at Suncorp Stadium.
Daley refused to be openly critical of Hayne and Klein but the Blues camp remains filthy at their performance, particularly after the first four penalties went to Queensland.
One source close to the NSW camp said: "Surely they won't be there for Origin III. If they are, you'd have to question (referees boss) Daniel Anderson's judgment."
NSW claim the pre-game interpretations were completely different to those handed out by Klein and Hayne on the field.
Asked for his opinion, Daley said: "I didn't think it was one of their better performances.
"We had no ball. Hopefully we might get the rub of the green when we get to Sydney. Queensland were good but I would still like a report of their performance. Daniel has a tough job and I'm sure he will make the right decision for game three."

NSW halfback Mitchell Pearce questioned the consistency of referees and wondered whether Klein and Hayne were intimidated.
"They're not consistent at the moment," he said. "That's the frustrating thing that everyone is talking about.
"In an Origin game, if you are 4-0 (penalty count) at the start, even if it is evened-up, you lose all your field position."If you are any chance of winning you need to go set-for-set for the first 20 minutes with no penalties. When it's 4-0 down coming off your own line it's near impossible to beat them to be honest."
Asked was it frustrating, Pearce said: "It is. It seems to happen everytime. I'm not one to blame refs. I would be intimidated if I was a ref out there. It is the same in NSW."Blues skipper Paul Gallen conceded his side was never expecting any favours in Brisbane, where NSW have won just seven penalty counts in 50 matches.
"We knew it was going to happen, we wouldn't get the 50-50 calls," he said

Mortar

Juniors
NSW coach Laurie Daley has demanded a full report into the sub-standard performance of referees Shayne Hayne and Ashley Klein, who were yesterday accused of being intimidated at Suncorp Stadium.
Daley refused to be openly critical of Hayne and Klein but the Blues camp remains filthy at their performance, particularly after the first four penalties went to Queensland.
One source close to the NSW camp said: "Surely they won't be there for Origin III. If they are, you'd have to question (referees boss) Daniel Anderson's judgment."
NSW claim the pre-game interpretations were completely different to those handed out by Klein and Hayne on the field.
Asked for his opinion, Daley said: "I didn't think it was one of their better performances.
"We had no ball. Hopefully we might get the rub of the green when we get to Sydney. Queensland were good but I would still like a report of their performance. Daniel has a tough job and I'm sure he will make the right decision for game three."

NSW halfback Mitchell Pearce questioned the consistency of referees and wondered whether Klein and Hayne were intimidated.
"They're not consistent at the moment," he said. "That's the frustrating thing that everyone is talking about.
"In an Origin game, if you are 4-0 (penalty count) at the start, even if it is evened-up, you lose all your field position."If you are any chance of winning you need to go set-for-set for the first 20 minutes with no penalties. When it's 4-0 down coming off your own line it's near impossible to beat them to be honest."
Asked was it frustrating, Pearce said: "It is. It seems to happen everytime. I'm not one to blame refs. I would be intimidated if I was a ref out there. It is the same in NSW."Blues skipper Paul Gallen conceded his side was never expecting any favours in Brisbane, where NSW have won just seven penalty counts in 50 matches.
"We knew it was going to happen, we wouldn't get the 50-50 calls," he said
f**king whinging sooks :lol:

Shorty

Staff member
lol, 139 posts, thats 5 minutes of my life i'll never get back. thought the blues fans in here were fairly restrained and giving credit where it was due, to a champion side. bring on game 3.

Most will, don't expect it from Knightmare though:lol:

no name

Referee
f**king whinging sooks :lol:

http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/n...f-origin-decider/story-fniablkr-1226671088442

QUEENSLAND hierarchy will lobby for Ashley Klein to be sacked for the Origin decider, accusing the referee of failing to police NSW spoiling tactics which sparked the infamous brawl in Game Two.

NRL referees boss Daniel Anderson is under mounting pressure to wield the axe for Game Three, with his predecessor Bill Harrigan last night rating Klein not up to Origin standard.

And Harrigan also lashed the NRL's no-biff crackdown, calling for the new edict to be rescinded immediately to avoid the sin-binning "farce" that marred Queensland's 26-6 win on Wednesday night.

QRL chairman Peter Betros said yesterday the Maroons were alarmed on dual fronts.

The mass dismissals aside, the Queensland camp claim Klein and cohort Shayne Hayne failed to address the Blues repeatedly slowing the play-the-ball, fuelling Maroon anger, which spilt over in the 54th minute when Brent Tate shoved Paul Gallen.

Advertisement

Maroons coach Mal Meninga is set to contact Anderson and The Courier-Mail understands Queensland hierarchy would prefer Klein be axed for the decider in Sydney on July 17.

Earlier this season, Klein was at the centre of an embarrassing botched tackle count, which saw the Cowboys awarded an eight-tackle set in their loss to the Broncos.

"The edict has been set at a ridiculous level and I don't know how they maintain that," said Betros, a former referee.

"If someone is sent to the sin-bin for pushing someone over, that borders on lunacy.

"The referees let themselves down by not acting early in the game.

"There was far too much lying down in the ruck, NSW didn't have any ball in the first 20 minutes of the game and were resorting to all sorts of desperate tactics to slow Queensland down.

"We believe that led to trouble as the game went on, our players became very frustrated with the leeway given to the NSW players and that's when tempers flared.

"Brent Tate was sick and tired of being held down. If the referees acted on that earlier, I doubt we would have had the problems we later saw in the game."

Betros said dialogue was yet to reopen with the NRL for Game Three and he would wait to have a debrief with Meninga.

"But I dare say Mal will be talking to Daniel Anderson and we will be fully supportive of him," he added.

Harrigan, who was replaced by Anderson late last year, says Ben Cummins should partner Hayne for the Origin decider.

"There are better referees than him (Klein) sitting at home watching Origin," he said.

"Cummins and Matt Cecchin are both better referees than Ashley Klein."

Harrigan said the no-biff policy should be scrapped immediately.

"If the referees don't sin-bin players for punching, they get dropped themselves, simple as that," he said.

"Whoever came up with the idea has acted in kneejerk fashion and it's taking the gloss off State of Origin.

"This new edict will not fix anything. It will make matters worse. Common sense must prevail and we should change this rule for Origin III."

no name

Referee
Imagine if they had lost?
Hayne spent the mojority of time in control when the Blues were defending, Klien when QLD were. Klein was infinitely leaner on QLD than Hayne was on NSW.

Hutty1986

Immortal
LOL they win by 20 and dominate the penalty count.. and they still whinge!!

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
So it's okay when Daley calls for a review but it isn't okay when Queensland support that decision?

Ok...

Its clear as day Klein's inability to control the ruck lead to tempers flaring. If Gallen was rightfully penalised instead of continuing on in the tackle none of those ridiculous sin bins occur.

Last edited:

Someone

Bench
So it's okay when Daley calls for a review but it isn't okay when Queensland support that decision?

Ok...

Its clear as day Klein's inability to control the ruck lead to tempers flaring. If Gallen was rightfully penalised instead of continuing on in the tackle none of those ridiculous sin bins occur.

but i thought the refs did a great job?

Big Pete

Referee
According to who?

Don't think there were many supporters for the sin binnings champ and I've always been anti-Klein ever since his stitch up in the World Cup Final.

Iafeta

Referee
I am astonished Ashley Klown continues to get rep games. Bloke is a dead set joke. Remember his effort in the test? Hodges knocks on, Nightingale tackles him on suspicion, ball has bounced forward and away from Hodges, Kiwis pick up and score and this clown Klown gives a penalty for Australia for a major infringement outweighing a minor infringement. I haven't seen a worse case of text book show boating or cheating than when Bill Harrigan penalised Balmain for running not in the spirit of the game (easily the worst call of all time).

undertaker

Coach
I do agree with those who state that more penalties need to be given in Origin. There has been this fixation since the Bill Harrigan years to have as free-flowing a game as possible, which also means letting players get away with things they wouldn't be able to get away with most of the time in an NRL match.

Unfortunately, over time, players have become aware of this and have started to take advantage of the situation by holding down on the ruck longer (you can thank the Melbourne Storm for introducing wrestling in the ruck. Just watch any game from a decade or so ago, as well as any ESL match, to see how much the dynamics in the ruck have changed compared to today's game), making no effort to keep the 10m etc. I laughed so hard when I saw that kick chase from QLD the other night on Dugan and Billy Slater was a mile offside, yet the ref couldn't even see that.

I'm all for more penalities if it means stamping out these annoying manoeuvres. And to those who come up with the stock-standard excuse that more penalities means that our game will start to turn more into Rugby Union, players who are repeat offenders will eventually get the message and eradicate it from their game.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
I am astonished Ashley Klown continues to get rep games. Bloke is a dead set joke. Remember his effort in the test? Hodges knocks on, Nightingale tackles him on suspicion, ball has bounced forward and away from Hodges, Kiwis pick up and score and this clown Klown gives a penalty for Australia for a major infringement outweighing a minor infringement. I haven't seen a worse case of text book show boating or cheating than when Bill Harrigan penalised Balmain for running not in the spirit of the game (easily the worst call of all time).

I believe that neutral refs in international matches - of any sport, not just league - is a must (it shows how much of a joke the RFL have allowed tests to be officiated by home referees for many years). However, surely there's gotta be better referees outside of Australia and New Zealand (for Australia/NZ matches) than Ashley Klein. Richard Silverwood (or whatever his name was) who officiated the 2010 ANZAC test did a very good job.

Last edited:

no name

Referee

Ok...

Who said it was ok for Daley to call a review?
Someone posted the Daley article and a QLDer made the usual NSW are whingers comment. The QLD calling for Klein's head was then posted to point out that NSW aren't alone in the whinging department.

Each year, each coach plays mind games with the officials. Mal has turned it into an art form where he can complain about a referee after winning both the game and penalty count by a country mile.

mberg

Juniors
I knew it would be a big fall for NSW fans .
So f**king cocky after 1 win ,
I am enjoying it .
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa the refs whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa the refs .
How about complaing about the most overated halfback to ever wear a SOO jersey of either colour.
No playmaking skills ,atrocious kicking game ,& a speed bump in defence.
How about whinging about your coach who has a permanent hard on for Mythcell ,when there are far better options available .
But no whinge whinge whinge about the refs.
CRAP! don't you just hate it when a Queenzlander is right.

Nerd

Bench

Ok...

I agree 100% Pete. Kleins inaction on Gallens swinging arm in game 1 led to that fight. His inaction on Gallen trying to slow the play the ball after a QLD break caused the incident in game 2. The guy is a dud ref in the NRL and how he ever got the Origin gig is beyond me.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Mal has turned it into an art form where he can complain about a referee after winning both the game and penalty count by a country mile.

If you lot could manage to hold onto a coach for more than a few years we'd be saying the same thing about him.

Latest posts