What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reni Maitua

ibeme

First Grade
Wouldn't surprise me if he becomes our 5/8 from next year.

Might even see him get a run there for a few games this year if the semis get beyond our reach. I don't see the point in keeping Anasta there if we're out of the premiership run. Better to spend that time on preparing for the future. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

Dog-E

Juniors
But I don't WANT a backrower playing five-eighth!!! :(

And I don't CARE what people say about the juniors...because that's what Maitua is best suited to NOW!

I want Holdsworth, Kauffman, Karawana...hell I'd even take COREY HUGHES back in the 6 over maitua!

he's doing a FINE job as a benh utility forward...Don;t fix what ain't broke and LEAVE him there!

Dogs Of War

Coach
ibeme said:
Wouldn't surprise me if he becomes our 5/8 from next year.

Might even see him get a run there for a few games this year if the semis get beyond our reach. I don't see the point in keeping Anasta there if we're out of the premiership run. Better to spend that time on preparing for the future. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

I don't agree. Lets get another premiership and play our best team that we have for the rest of the year. Anasta at 5/8 is the best we have, so lets use him while we still have him. Next year we can decide what we want to do with 5/8 as we have a whole offseason to give all the guys a shot.

ibeme

First Grade
Dogs Of War said:
I don't agree. Lets get another premiership and play our best team that we have for the rest of the year. Anasta at 5/8 is the best we have, so lets use him while we still have him. Next year we can decide what we want to do with 5/8 as we have a whole offseason to give all the guys a shot.

I'm not saying that we sacrifice a premiership. I'm just saying that if we happen to fall out of the running for the premiership, then we should start using the remaining games to get a headstart on next season. Anasta isn't part of next season. Whilever we're still in the running this year though, Anasta has to be there.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
Maitua was oustanding last night in the centers, if Tonga does decide to go to the GC at the end of next year, I wouldn't mind seeing Reni stay in that position for awhile.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Dog-E said:
But I don't WANT a backrower playing five-eighth!!! :(

And I don't CARE what people say about the juniors...because that's what Maitua is best suited to NOW!

he's doing a FINE job as a benh utility forward...Don;t fix what ain't broke and LEAVE him there!

Would you still say that now Dog-E?

Having a look at the way he is carving up the centres?

Trust ME let him play 5/8th next year;-) You might have a new rep player on your hands

Mitchsu Danger

Juniors
He played 5/8 against the Knights last year and we won 52-12 or something, i'd rather have Holdsworth there though because he is a natural 5/8

Dog-E

Juniors
Snoop Shark said:
Would you still say that now Dog-E?

Having a look at the way he is carving up the centres?

Trust ME let him play 5/8th next year;-) You might have a new rep player on your hands

Yes. I do, in fact!

He is a stronger runner and a better defender than Anasta - which is FINE for the centres - but his passing game is NOWHERE of the standard required of a regular First Grade five eighth...Why put him there - when we have Daniel Holdsworth, and the 2 Junior Kiwi five eighths of the past 2 years - Marvin Karawana (Who has been braining 'em in PL!) and Isaac Luke in our ranks?...Plus Corey Hughes - who, whilst a frustrating player @ times - has the passing game, kicking game & toughness to play at 6....Though I would prefer he stayed at hooker.

Bottom line of coaching is - whenever possible - you do NOT weaken one position to strengthen another...and Reni Mairua is a fantastic backrower!!! Good to know he can cover other positions when required...but he has said himself on previous occasions - he is a backrower - and that's where he WANTS to play!...But he just plays where he's told.

It's like Sonny Bill - he can play in the centres too - as he did to GREAT acclaim in round 1 last year...but at the end of the day that is not his best or favoured position - and he is wasted there.

Same deal Reni.

Oh, and Reni is ALREADY a rep player - City origin this year...won't be too far off NSW honours next year either if he keeps improving at the rate he has been, thanks to that versatility!...People asked WHY he got picked for city this year!!...We Dogs fans all told 'em to a man - "Just watch and see!" and so it has been proved!...But thanks for noticing!! ;-)

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Dog-E said:
Oh, and Reni is ALREADY a rep player - City origin this year...won't be too far off NSW honours next year either if he keeps improving at the rate he has been, thanks to that versatility!...People asked WHY he got picked for city this year!!...We Dogs fans all told 'em to a man - "Just watch and see!" and so it has been proved!...But thanks for noticing!! ;-)

I would'nt claim 7 mins of city V country as a rep player. Sure he made the team but seriously...

Speaking to Reni he would'nt either as he did'nt make the impact he wanted to. Dont get me wrong Reni would have been more then stoked with that honour but i think origin is what he would like to claim hence the reason for knocking back the kiwis at the end of last year.

Dog-E

Juniors
Oh, sorry - I never meant to suggest Maitua killed it in the City game - he did not - had to wait to come off the bench & was used sparingly, and of course his night was then cruelled by that ankle injury!....No - I was more referring to the deeds he has shown in the NRL AFTER his recovery from that night! ;-)

He was doing that all of last year...but very few ppl otside the Dogs' supporter base seemed to notice!...Just good to see Reni getting a bit of recognition his efforts over the past season and a half - from other quarters - as he deserves! :)