What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing Damien Martyn

SirShire

First Grade
Blind Freddy could see that Damien Martyn is in a real form slump. I thought we were in with a small chance of winning Tugga's last test, the required runs and minimum ball remaining made it look like a possible win. That is, until Damien Martyn got in. He dramatically dropped the run rate from about 5-6 R.O. to about 2 R.O. He wasted valuable balls. He is a waste of a top order batting spot and is just a coaster.

I say replace him with Matthew Elliott. He has the ability to bat in Martyn's position and is in great form. He is also regarded as one of the best batsmen in Australia, and his first class statistics reflect that, as does the work that he is doing for Victoria. Bring him back.

Him and Michael Clarke would add some much needed depth in the line up now that Tugga is gone.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
yeah i was one who criticised martyn but he did show signs of form against zimbabwe at the scg on sunday, we will see how he goes against zimbabwe at tasmania then make a judgement afterwards.

but still that doesnt mean he should be dropped if he has a bad performance 2moz
oh well really today

8 hours away!

Anonymous

Juniors
Salmon said:
Blind Freddy could see that Damien Martyn is in a real form slump. I thought we were in with a small chance of winning Tugga's last test, the required runs and minimum ball remaining made it look like a possible win. That is, until Damien Martyn got in. He dramatically dropped the run rate from about 5-6 R.O. to about 2 R.O. He wasted valuable balls. He is a waste of a top order batting spot and is just a coaster.

I say replace him with Matthew Elliott. He has the ability to bat in Martyn's position and is in great form. He is also regarded as one of the best batsmen in Australia, and his first class statistics reflect that, as does the work that he is doing for Victoria. Bring him back.

Him and Michael Clarke would add some much needed depth in the line up now that Tugga is gone.

You started of so well but finished off so poorly :lol: ;-) Just kiddin mate. i just happen to think that there are other players who deserve a go before Elliott gets another. For instance;

Michael Clarke (I know you mentioned him)
Martin Love
Darren Lehmann
Brad Hodge & possibly in the future
David Hussey

knights04

Bench
Agree. Even M Hussey, Watson, Marsh are players who could easily make it into the test arena. Elliott is his own worst enemy. He forced his way into the national team and lost his place as well.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Agree about Eliot.

He's been in and out.

And he's nearly due for a pension.

SirShire

First Grade
True, but he is still in form and still scoring the runs. I'd like to see him in at No.3 and Clarke at No. 5.

Pepstar, I wouldn't drop him judging on his next performance, but on the fact that Martyn has not scored a test century in something like 2 years. Pretty barren.

As for Boof Lehman, I thought he is having an absolutely shocking stretch of injuries ATM?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We have to many 30 plus players in the team already.

Elliot may only have a year or so left.

I think we need to look more to the future and look at guys from the Australia A youth team.

There are some good youg players there, and nows the time to start looking at them, IMO.

SirShire

First Grade
True. A young spinner is the way to go IMHO. Warnie is getting old (he is a couple of years older than Elliott) and S MacGill is certainly no replacement.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
If oly we had a good one.

From what I've seen of Cameron White, he's more of a batting all rounder and bowls very flat, a la Anal Kumble.

I don't think Cameron White will be another Warnie.

And I would not entertain the idea of a finger spinner to achieve Warnie status.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Salmon said:
I say replace him with Matthew Elliott.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I didnt know he was still playing, he must about 40 or sumfin. :lol:

Someone younger would be good, Michael Clarke. Katich might move up to number 5.

SirShire

First Grade
He's 32. And I would only have him in the squad to replace Marto.

As for Warnie, I doubt we will ever find a spinner as effective as him ever again

wittyz chick

Coach
i dont think Martyn will be replaced i think the selectors have to much faith in him...so i think the selectors will let him do a Steve Waugh (let him choose :evil: ) and as for a replacement for Warnie it could be White or Hauritz...in the world cup Hauritz was chosen to replace Waugh and he is a young spinner (and i know White is young to) and is getting to be a very good batter

Doctor

Bench
Blind Freddy could see that Damien Martyn is in a real form slump

Not sure what else to say to this besides to quote Martyns stats for today and add the analysis:

47* from 39 balls.
three fours and a six.

Entered the match with Australia looking to boost the run-rate because they had wickets in hand. Martyn turned the strike over to Gilchrist ball after ball, and contributed about half of the runs in his partnership with Gilchrist.

When Gilchrist got out, Martyn carried the innings along, popping singles and keeping things ticking a little bit (also keeping the strike so to avoid more golden ducks).

He never was out of form - he has just struggled to make the big scores. Successive ducks is out of form, a 2003 like Sachin Tendulkar's is out of form - Mark Taylor in 1997 is out of form.

But Martyn's batting never deserted him, he just seemed to lose concentration at times and fluffed along a bit. His lowest test score in 2003 of 21 is testament to a player in good knick but just not producing the big scores - reliable but not outstanding.

His One Day form was never anything below quality - averaged 58 in 2003, eight 50s and a few centuries - he has performed better than the three fellows above him yet still people chose to ignore this and assume he was out of form in all types of cricket.

His 47* today won't silence the critics - but it does add weight to the statistics, and verify slightly the argument myself and others have made - he is a good batsmen who isn't out of form.

He is a victim of Mark Waugh syndrome - laziness at the crease.
His 47* today wasn't lazy - it was calculated, at times a bit risky, but the ideal innings in that situation.

Well done Damien Martyn :clap:

Alan Shore

First Grade
This is the batting lineup I'd take to Sri Lanka (and probably India):

1. Langer
2. Hayden
3. Ponting
4. Lehmann
5. Katich
6. Martyn
7. Gilchrist

(Symonds & Michael Clarke as batting reserves)

I think Martyn is better suited (or at least he produced better form) at no.6 and he should probably get one FINAL chance. If he fails Clarke as reserve would be there to replace him.

aqua_duck

Coach
Damien Martyn is one of our best one day batsman contrary to what many think, he has a better one day average and strike rate than ricky ponting, yet nobody complains that ponting is boring.