What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Report: 49ers will fire coach Jim Harbaugh 24-48 hours after season

abpanther

Staff member
Anyways yeah I think he's gone, even though I would prefer for him to stay under the condition that he hires a new OC, the guy is just too stubborn and loyal to Greg Roman, thus he has to go.

Reality is the issues to do with game management, time management, playcalling, etc, have only gotten worse under his tenure. While he has done a great job turning the franchise around, I get the feeling he's the kind of coach that doesn't have a long shelf life and this is probably the right time for him to move on.

I would prefer to see us trade him and get something, but I suspect he'll be fired and will head to Michigan

one tree hill

Juniors
It sucks as he's one of the best and his replacement will have big shoes to fill but it's obviously become untenable.

abpanther

Staff member
Yeah I think this is the dawn of some lean years for us mate, still it's be a joy having him turn this team around

shiznit

Coach
Hopefully he will be the man to turn the Raiders around...

We have some good pieces in place for him.... But he would still have a lot of work ahead of him.

Them firing him is no surprise... Although they can get compensation for him in a trade... Once it became obvious his position was untenable at the 49ers... He always had the leverage of being able to dig his heels in and refuse any trades that he didn't like knowing full well they would have to fire him in the end...

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
Hopefully he will be the man to turn the Raiders around...

We have some good pieces in place for him.... But he would still have a lot of work ahead of him.

The Raiders are definitely trending in the right direction, given their finish to the season I'm not sure if they want to make a coaching change?

I'd definitely be up for a trade though, Harbaugh is a great change catalyst

nick87

Coach
You could have named your odds on this occurring 18 months ago
What a fall from grace

I think it will happen and I think it's for the best for both parties

abpanther

Staff member
You could have named your odds on this occurring 18 months ago
What a fall from grace

I think it will happen and I think it's for the best for both parties

Yeah I know, I can't believe it and it's sad given what he has achieved and he really should've won at least 1 SB while he was here, but yeah I think the time has come

DC_fan

Coach
No real surprise if he goes. The 49ers have been a real disappointment this season. So some action had to happen and its usually the coach being sacked.

abpanther

Staff member
No real surprise if he goes. The 49ers have been a real disappointment this season. So some action had to happen and its usually the coach being sacked.

It is tough though given his record, I mean the guy got to three straight NFC title games including a SB, that's a pretty good start, you'd think a bad season could be overlooked given that track record.

I think there's more to this than just W/L, I think he rubs people the wrong way including our GM and owner

nick87

Coach
He doesn't strike me as a man who can stay in one place long, unless he has absolute control
Just rubs people the wrong way

DC_fan

Coach
It is tough though given his record, I mean the guy got to three straight NFC title games including a SB, that's a pretty good start, you'd think a bad season could be overlooked given that track record.

I think there's more to this than just W/L, I think he rubs people the wrong way including our GM and owner

It's not what have you done for us, it's what have you done for us lately. Unfortunately for Harbaugh this season he hasn't done much with what is supposed to be a good team.

So the question is why hasn't he done well this year. You may well be right in saying there is going ons behind closed doors. Possibly he has upset someone or even a whole lot of people. For mine he always seems to have an attitude.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
There was talk during the off season that his time was up. I don't think this is a reaction to the poor season but the poor season is definitely going to be a convenient excuse to swing the axe.

Will be interesting to see where we go from here. I thought last season one real weakness was the OC.

We might be in for some lean times, but that's more on the back of the strength of the division we're in. I still like what I see from our defense most games and the Lynch/Borland picks give us a bit of youth who can really grow into quality players.

Offense is the big issue and what we need to address. Hyde is a very good heir apparent to Gore, but our O-Line hasn't been good, and our receivers have been ineffective.

Injuries haven't been kind on either side of the ball, but considering what Arizona has done with a worse toll that's not really an excuse.

We've got a nice stash of picks for 2015, plus we did draft the injured Brandon Thomas with the thought of picking up a steal to stash away until 2015. Who we select as coach and how they use the draft will decide how long it is before we become a genuine challenger again.

Frederick

Staff member
My lasting memory of Jim will be him in the bad lip syncing video screaming "I want cake! I want cake now!!"

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Who are the likely candidates for this job?

Outside of the "internal options" Josh McDaniels (Patriots OC) has been getting a mention as near the top of the list.

Does seem that the 9ers recognise the issues they've had on offense and as a result want an offense minded coach.

This could be a case of good timing if they get the right coach. The offense is there to be rebuilt and there's flexibility with some of the pieces. The coach will have a good opportunity to either adjust what he already has or change things up a fair bit.

abpanther

Staff member
I'd like to see them elevate Fangio to HC and allow him to bring in a young OC to run the offense.

Latest posts