What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Report Card

Meth

Staff member
Here's mine. Agree? Disagree?

Overall- C. A bit tough perhaps. They finished 2 points behind the Minor Premiers. But they also got bundled out in the first week of the finals. So, it's a pass- but only just.

Steven Kearney- C You get the feeling that any success that we had this year wasn't so much to do with Kearney. His persistence in an outside back on the bench, playing a prop short, Jazz Tevaga's role etc etc is infuriating.

Simon Mannering- B minus Not the way that you'd want the great man to go out. I think he'd own that his form has not been what it previously has been. I think the early injury and Blair's inclusion probably disrupted his role.

Shaun Johnson- B minus Looked like a world beater at times, but while often ably assisted by Green in the organisational role, he still never quite managed to be the superstar we've always thought that he was.

David Fusitu'a A Played his part in starting out sets. There's no better finisher.

Agnatius Paasi- A minus Exceeded my expectations by a long way.

Solomone Kata C A difficult one because I actually felt like he was playing better for a large chunk of the year than others on her gave him credit for. Nevertheless, it's obvious that there are fundamental issues with him that he shows little to no interest in addressing.

Sam Lisone D It seems like so long ago that he and Vete were promising young props. I have no idea where his career is headed, but it's looking pretty mediocre right now.

Ken Maumalo A 2018 was the year when Ken arrived. I repent of all of the nasty things I've said about him as a prospect in years gone by.

Mason Lino B I'd take Johnson over him any day of the week, but he was asked on several occasions to step up and do a job and most of the time, he did.

Roger Tuivasa Sheck A plus Phenomenal. When he hobbled off, that was the season over. With him on the park, we're always a chance.

Isaac Luke A At times, he's looked as good as he ever has. So often, something he did instigated a game turning in our favour.

James Gavet C minus He looks like he's forgotten about the size of his frame again. Back to earth with a thud after a sensational year last year.

Jazz Tevaga B minus Fair is fair- he's doing what is asked of him well. The problem (I think) is that what is being asked of him is not what the team actually needs. Overplays his hand and can give away a penalty or make an error. Was compared to Scrappy Do on another thread- it's a good comparison.

Ligi Sao C plus We're all puzzled here.

Bunty Afoa B plus Was an A in his first stint and a B in his second. Love his hit ups. Looks bigger than he is because of the way he throws himself as the line.

Isaiah Papalii B A bit like Lino, probably played more football than was planned and handled it pretty admirably.

Chris Satae C A pretty handy year, really. Good to see a truly imposing frame in the middle of the park.

Peta Hiku C Redeemed himself somewhat over the last month. No doubt, he has value with the ball in hand, but defensively suspect. Looks best as a back up fullback, to me.

Blake Green B What the team needs, no doubt. Faded though, post- Origin.

Adam Blair C minus Played good football in patches, but never really looked like the leader and worker that we needed.

Tohu Harris A What a player. Hope he keeps fit next year- we are a much better team with him on the park.

Leivaha Pulu C plus Probably the victim of overcrowding, really. Looked promising early on. His injury was very disruptive.

Anthony Gelling C minus ESL superstar.

Karl Lawton B A bit like Lino, made the most of the opportunities he was given.

Gerard Beale B minus Looked good at centre, but obviously had to do a lot to dislodge Kata or Hiku- and he didn't do enough to do that.

Last edited:

Benek

Juniors
I couldn't give Luke an A because he's not consistent enough. He's had plenty of great performances this year, but then throws in a dud like he did on Saturday.

Hiku is a weird one. Part of me thinks that the combo of SJ, Harris, Hiku, and Fusi is perhaps the most dangerous attacking right edge in the comp. If we could teach him how to tackle that would be worth persisting with. It was very noticeable when Beale came in that our attacking potency went way down. But will Hiku ever learn to play D? Probably not as he's had plenty of time and experience and still hasn't done it.

Matua

Bench
There's no way that Hiku is the equivalent grade as Kata - also a huge chunk of Fusitua's A grade is down to Hiku. Hiku should at least be a B.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Agree on most points Meth except Kearney. For me Kearney gets a B at the least. And I'd probably give Johnson a C

Meth

Staff member
There's no way that Hiku is the equivalent grade as Kata - also a huge chunk of Fusitua's A grade is down to Hiku. Hiku should at least be a B.

As I said, there's no doubt that Hiku does great things with the ball. The problem is that he ruins it with bad defense.

Matua

Bench
As I said, there's no doubt that Hiku does great things with the ball. The problem is that he ruins it with bad defense.
You gave Kata a 'C', Kata has terrible defence and does bad things with the ball - and he's an idiot who makes repetitive mistakes. They can't be the same grade.

Meth

Staff member
You gave Kata a 'C', Kata has terrible defence and does bad things with the ball - and he's an idiot who makes repetitive mistakes. They can't be the same grade.

Like I said, I don't rate Kata's season as harshly as some on here. But I do share the frustration with Kata's fundamental flaws.

Matua

Bench
Like I said, I don't rate Kata's season as harshly as some on here. But I do share the frustration with Kata's fundamental flaws.
I'm befuddled. How can you not rate his season harshly yet rate Hikus as harsh as you do. Hiku had one 'worst game ever' this season, and he cost us the game. Kata has cost us more throughout the season either through poor defense, the bombing of tries, or through his stupidity.

Meth

Staff member
I'm befuddled. How can you not rate his season harshly yet rate Hikus as harsh as you do. Hiku had one 'worst game ever' this season, and he cost us the game. Kata has cost us more throughout the season either through poor defense, the bombing of tries, or through his stupidity.

I feel like I have already said everything I have to say on why I rated Hiku and Kata the way that I did. I get it man- you disagree and not without basis. Do your own rankings!

For myself, it should be said that these were done without an objective grid or set variables. e.g Johnson is objectively better than Lino, but Lino got a more generous mark on account of the relative expectations.

Matua

Bench
I feel like I have already said everything I have to say on why I rated Hiku and Kata the way that I did. I get it man- you disagree and not without basis. Do your own rankings!

For myself, it should be said that these were done without an objective grid or set variables. e.g Johnson is objectively better than Lino, but Lino got a more generous mark on account of the relative expectations.
All good mate, was just arguing for the sake of discussion. (I'm probably too lazy to do my own rankings ;)).

I get so pee-d off that Kata 'almost' makes me not want to watch Warriors games.

Meth

Staff member
Like Benek said, Hiku is a tough one to rate. As is Tevaga. Because there is such a pronounced difference between his upside and his downside

JJ

Immortal
Overall-B+. Much better than I thought - deservedly made the 8, in the right place etc - played well away

Steven Kearney- C echo Meth

Simon Mannering- B Injury and being mucked around hindered him - VERY special that he got to 300

Shaun Johnson- B minus For the money he's reportedly on, a huge underachiever - big time players get that money, and they are expected to deliver in big games - not go missing

David Fusitu'a A top tryscorer, strong in the back field.

Agnatius Paasi- A- I'm not loving him as much as some, but he's useful as part of a string rotation

Solomone Kata C - he's no longer inexperienced, lacks core skills, I don't understand the coaching festish with him

Sam Lisone D What do you say?

Ken Maumalo A He was great all year

Mason Lino B Did well when given a chance - doesn't seem likely he'll develop into a top line half though.

Roger Tuivasa Sheck A plus Awesome.

Isaac Luke A minus- - very influential, but overall (3 years) a disappointment.

James Gavet plus - didn't back up well from last year - but still strong at times.

Jazz Tevaga B plus - I don't understand why he's a fixture, but it's not his fault he's picked, and he does a job.

Ligi Sao can't rate - certainly I'd have him playing ahead of Tevaga, Satae, and Lisone

Bunty Afoa B Faded .

Isaiah Papalii A- I'm a fan - the kid is 19!!

Chris Satae C needs more game time, and to assert himself

Peta Hiku B couple of horror shows, but generally did a job - certainly not a starting centre IMO

Blake Green B+ seemed to fade a bit, but clearly a good addition.

Adam Blair D - D for dog

Tohu Harris A+ - he was consistently excellent IMO

Leivaha Pulu C plusLot of injuries

Anthony Gelling D - yeah, nah

Karl Lawton B was fine when given the chance

Gerard Beale B minus thought that with Ayshford he's our best centre - injuries, and Kearney's selections worked against him.

Big Marn

Juniors
well done guys. not easy marking the whole team.

Season has to be a B+ for me after having next to no expectations at the beginning of the year.
I feel like we missed some great opportunities during the year to end up higher in the table in the most tightly contested comp i can remember.

I think we were impacted by injuries during the year when a team with our lack of depth just couldnt afford to be missing our best team on the field as opposed to other teams with great depth.

I also rue the fact it might be harder to get in the 8 next year as its hard to imagine the cowboys, dogs and eels all having 2 bad years in a row.

Throw in the Knights and Titans who have bought well for 2019 and are on the up, plus perennials like the Sea Eagles and Tigers, it just goes to show what an accomplishment making the 8 is nowadays.

Hopefully we can make ground in the development front next year with Peter O'Sullivan and Smith growing the depth we desperately need.

I have never been convinced at any stage that Kearney is the coach the warriors need but what choice do we have in this as getting the good ones to come here is next to impossible.
Player selection has been a gripe of mine all year. Its hard to believe people like Stacey Jones are on board with some of the selections that have been persisted with all of this season ( ie Kata) and that leaves me a little troubled for next season. Fingers crossed that he comes to his senses!

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
A+ for Corvo. He played a big part.

C+ for the breathing-circle thingy. It had its moments, would've got an A but for it being completely useless in those games we got thrashed in, and last Saturday from the 15th minute onwards, when we needed it the most.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Overall- B. we had a good start to the season and got ourselves into the 8 which we hadn't done in awhile and most of us didn't expect that.

Steven Kearney- B. his process is 3 years and the team did improve their standings this year.

Simon Mannering- C. this season would've been an unfair reflection of his usual self. Probably his worst season but returned to his usual self in the last three games. Was out injured too at the start.

Shaun Johnson- C plus. more 'offs' then 'ons' in what I would describe as an on and off season. Needs a better pack but still loses direction and game management at times.

David Fusitu'a A plus. I will always boast that I said this guy would be world class on here 2 or 3 years ago when he was dropped by Cappy. He is now a world class winger having proven that in the NRL week in week out and in the test arena. Had one bad game this year in 2 years.

Agnatius Paasi- A minus. the thing I like about Paasi is he brought the same in form Paasi from the Titans, to us. Sometimes you see a player go from one club to another and he doesnt play the same.

Solomone Kata C. good at times, dumb at times.

Sam Lisone D.

Ken Maumalo B. Most improved player. Needs to add more to his game other than just doing heaps of hit ups.

Mason Lino B. Another big improver.

Roger Tuivasa Sheck A plus. Kearney was right to pick a true leader like RTS as cap. Champion.

Isaac Luke A. another important figure.

James Gavet C minus. cant explain why this guy slumped this year.

Jazz Tevaga C. All I got to say about this guy is that I cant wait for Nathaniel Roache to come back.

Ligi Sao C plus Im puzzled too. Mightve burst out in laughter with Blake Ayshford during one of Kearneys serious motivational speeches to the team.

Bunty Afoa B plus. he ran full bull to Kikau and Kikau just laid him down like an easy judo throw. I definitely respect his attitude this year though.

Isaiah Papalii B.

Chris Satae C minus. the potential to be a name in this game is there for this guy.

Peta Hiku C plus. needs defence lessons

Blake Green B plus. he pretty much delivered on what we expected of him

Adam Blair C. same as Green.

Tohu Harris A. the goods.

Leivaha Pulu B

Anthony Gelling C minus

Karl Lawton B

Gerard Beale B minus

vvvrulz

Coach
Overall A-
Two points from the top and starting the season with five in a row, that's outstanding given what little hopes anybody had for us this year. We had our bad moments and ended with a limp (no pun intended), but putting it in perspective this year we delivered moments of pride in the jersey and were certainly fitter than we have been in years. A good grade from me, but we have to go further next year.

Steven Kearney B
Some baffling selections still and he's no silver tongue, but he's done a great job in terms of getting the boys fit and getting into the general habit of getting wins out. Our error rates are low, completions good, and some of the defense this year was the best in ages. The problem is when it rains it pours, Kearney has to find a way to stop the heads dropping so quickly. This is a foundation for something greater for it to really count, but time will tell.

Simon Mannering B
Simply ran out of petrol. A sad way for an incredible career to end but Mannering hung in there and never stopped giving it everything regardless, operating at 80% is still enough to make the general cut.

Shaun Johnson B+
He's no Andrew Johns, and maybe we should stop expecting that, but Johnson showed when the forwards turn up and he has a good spine he is truly a world beater. Going to cop it for that playoff performance but he generally had a solid season, the axes wouldn't be out if he had a good Penrith game.

David Fusitu'a A
Went up another level, and it even seems like there is an extra gear awaiting. One of the best wingers in the comp and a real asset.

Agnatius Paasi A-
Never thought he'd be leading our pack, but he was our most effective forward by far. With Ah Mau coming on and Gavet finding some form, we should be all right for 2019.

Solomona Kata C
Continues to be an irritating liability who serves well as a battering ram but lacks fundamental NRL centre skills and almost seems to make it a point to not improve. He's lucky he's in this club, only here will a player like him get away with it.

Sam Lisone D+
Was instrumental in those hit ups that won us the Raiders match, and that was it. We gave him a legit shot and it's time to say goodbye.

Ken Maumalo A-
Most improved player this year, and possibly ever for us. Hard to believe bumbling Ken turned into a genuine weapon both in terms of metres and wing duties. Slipped away a bit towards the end which was disappointing, but if he continues to climb this way he will have a great career.

Mason Lino B
A huge bonus. He is never going to replace Green or Johnson but we have a gutsy and competent character who can fill in effectively if required. Defence was found out, but given what little game time he's had he did just fine overall.

Roger Tuivasa Sheck A+
Player of the year by a mile, one of the best in the NRL and possibly one of the best seasons any Warrior has managed. His leadership and defense in particular was incredibly impressive after last season he showed wobbles there. We're finally in good hands.

Isaac Luke A
Finally we have a real hooker, with a bit of mongrel as a bonus. Dunno where he's been until this year, but Luke was instrumental to the point where we fell apart even with minutes off the field. An absolute must to sign for next year, otherwise we risk a big gaping hole.

James Gavet B-
Clearly rusty as hell coming off his injury, but was on the incline as the year progressed. Hopefully a good off-season and we see the 2017 Gavet back next year.

Jazz Tevaga A-
Not quite getting all the hate, he's an absolute workhorse who is plugging gaps everywhere and frantically scrambling every second he's out there. Not the best runner, but where are our props when we need them? With a bit of organisation in the group and removing those stupid mistakes out of his game, he's a real asset.

Ligi Sao B
He was going good, only Kearney knows what happened.

Bunty Afoa B+
Another big improver, and looks primed to take it up yet another gear next year. Huge future ahead of him once he gets more consistency.

Isaiah Papalii A-
The find of the year, we have massive untapped potential waiting in the wings. He was a big reason why Mannering dropping off in form was not always felt.

Chris Satae B
Looks the goods, hopefully gets more support and game time.

Peta Hiku B
When he's on, he's actually pretty damn good and he was a big part in unlocking Fus. His shady defence got found out many times but it definitely got better over the year especially when Harris is around to back him up. A mile better than Kata.

Blake Green A-
The steady experienced #6 we've been begging for since Maloney. A good first year where he slotted in and formed combinations; as with the running theme he needs to go up a notch now.

Adam Blair C
Pure plod, almost Todd Lowrie. Everything about him seemed slow, lazy and disinterested with a pretty appalling overall work-rate. He fired up every now and then and made a few barn-storming tackles, which made it even more infuriating when he goes back in the shell. Only true dud signing.

Tohu Harris A
A brilliant buy, he's even better than what I previously thought with his commanding presence and terrific ball skills. He's now a crucial cog in the wheel just as much as Mannering was.

Leivaha Pulu B
Looked solid and reliable before the injury, puzzling that he didn’t get much game time. Worth another shot.

Anthony Gelling C+
Bit of a cult hero, but he was a very limited player who made the most of a good Dragons game. Not for lack of effort though.

Karl Lawton B
A genuine trier at least, and showed he can be handy. Another who needs more opportunities to see where he’s at. He isn't going to be enough to cover for Luke, we'll need Roache.

Gerard Beale B+
Better than Kata and safer than Hiku, but I was disappointed in his lack of attacking ability. Doesn’t deserve to be behind in the pecking order however.

Blair

Coach
These reviews are great, guys. Very thoughtful, in-depth. Tough but fair in many regards.

Mad Monday depression is mostly gone, a hint of Spring in the air today! These reviews were the perfect tonic yesterday.

Blair

Coach
Isaac Luke A
Finally we have a real hooker, with a bit of mongrel as a bonus. Dunno where he's been until this year, but Luke was instrumental to the point where we fell apart even with minutes off the field. An absolute must to sign for next year, otherwise we risk a big gaping hole.

I hope you're right about him. At my worst (and he would probably deny it till the last Hawera cow came home) I suspected he left his heart with South Sydney.

Adam Blair C
Pure plod, almost Todd Lowrie. Everything about him seemed slow, lazy and disinterested with a pretty appalling overall work-rate. He fired up every now and then and made a few barn-storming tackles, which made it even more infuriating when he goes back in the shell. Only true dud signing.

Blair might know something we don't. On the train home on Saturday we were chatting to a dad with his young son, who was holding some boots. Someone asked whether he'd 'bought his playing boots and perhaps he could've done better than the team that ran out'.

The dad then said, 'oh,they were Adam Blair's', my son said to him 'well played' at the end of the game and Blair took his boots off and gave them to him'.

Two things, one the boots weren't that dirty and two perhaps that was his way of 'hanging them up'?