What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Representative Round

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The following Dragons players have been selected to play this weekend.

Firstly congratulation to each of them and do your country, state proud.

NZ - Leeson Ah Mau
England - Gareth Widdop, James Graham
Fiji - Joe Lovodua, Pio Sokobalavu (ISP)
PNG - Nene McDonald (reports he may be out)
Samoa - Luciano Leilua, Timatao Lafai

NSW - Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan, Tyson Frizell, Tariq Sims
Qld - (unofficial) Ben Hunt

getsmarty

Immortal
ah-maul-180325703.jpg

REPRESENTATIVE

Ah Mau named in Kiwis' Denver squad
Author
Jack Brady
Timestamp
Sun 17 Jun 2018, 06:54 PM

St George Illawarra front-rower Leeson Ah Mau has been named in New Zealand's 19-man squad to face England on Saturday, June 23 at Denver's Mile High Stadium.

Ah Mau is one of seven potential Kiwis debutants named in new coach Michael Maguire's squad.

The Samoan representative will become a dual international if he runs out against the likes of Dragons teammates Gareth Widdop and James Graham, who were named for England last weekend.

Joe Lovodua and ISP Dragon Pio Sokobalavu were named in the Bati's team earlier last week ahead of their clash against Papua New Guinea at Campbelltown Sports Stadium's Pacific Test double-header.

Dragons duo Tim Lafai and Luciano Leilua have both been named in the Samoan squad to face Tonga also at Campbelltown on Saturday night.

Dragons winger Nene Macdonald – while named in Papua New Guinea's squad on Sunday morning – has unfortunately had to withdraw after suffering a shoulder injury in the Red V's win over the Sea Eagles on Saturday.

Macdonald's recovery timeframe is yet to be determined, and will be communicated as soon as possible.

Late on Saturday night, New South Wales retained Dragons quartet Tariq Sims, Tyson Frizell, Jack de Belin and Tyson Frizell in for Origin II to be played at ANZ Stadium.

The Queensland Maroons will name their squad on Monday morning.

New Zealand Kiwis v England @ Mile High Stadium, Denver (June 23)

Kiwis squad: Leeson Ah Mau, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Herman Ese'ese, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, James Fisher-Harris, Slade Griffin, Peta Hiku, Jamayne Isaako, Jordan Kahu, Isaac Liu, Issac Luke, Te Maire Martin, Esan Marsters, Ken Maumalo, Kodi Nikorima, Joseph Tapine, Martin Taupau, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak.

England squad: John Bateman, Sam Burgess, Thomas Burgess, Jake Connor, James Graham, Ryan Hall, Chris Hill, Jonny Lomax, Tommy Makinson, Jermaine McGillvary, Sean O’Loughlin, Mark Percival, Stefan Ratchford, James Roby, Scott Taylor, Luke Thompson, Gareth Widdop, George Williams, Elliott Whitehead.

Papua New Guinea Kumuls v Fiji Bati @ Campbelltown Sports Stadium (June 23)

PNG squad: Adex Wera, Enock Maki, Junior Rau, Justin Olam, Kurt Baptiste, Lachlan Lam, Luke Page, James Segeyaro, Nixon Putt, Rhadley Brawa, Rhyse Martin, Richard Pandia, Rod Griffin, Stanton Albert, Thompson Teteh, Watson Boas, Willie Minoga

Fiji Bati team:

1. Kevin Naiqama (c)
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Akuila Uate
4. Tyrone Phillips
5. Marcelo Montoya
6. Jarryd Hayne
7. Henry Raiwalui
8. Kane Evans
9. Joe Lovodua
10. Tui Kamikamica
11. King Vuniyayawa
12. Salesi Junior Fainga'a
13. Jayson Bukuya
Interchange:
14. Eloni Vunakece
15. Pio Seci
16. Sitiveni Moceidreke
17. Pio Sokobalavu
18. Mikaele Ravalawa
19. Junior Roqica

Samoa v Tonga @ Campbelltown Sports Stadium (June 23)

Samoa squad: Bunty Afoa, Josh Aloiai, Michael Chee Kam, Christian Crichton,
James Gavet, Pita Godinet, Sam Kasiano, Tim Lafai, Joey Leilua, Luciano Leilua, Mason Lino, Dunamis Lui, Tyrone May, Anthony Milford, Isaiah Papali'i, Jospeh Paulo, Ligi Sao, Jorge Taufua

Tonga squad: Andrew Fifita, Addin Fonua-Blake, Siliva Havili, Ata Hingano, Will Hopoate, Konrad Hurrell, Michael Jennings, Robert Jennings, Sione Katoa, Tuimoala Lolohea, Manu Ma'u, Joe Ofahengaue, Junior Tatola, Jason Taumalolo, Siosiua Taukieaho, Peni Terepo, Daniel Tupou.

State of Origin II: New South Wales v Queensland @ ANZ Stadium (June 24)

NSW squad: Josh Addo-Carr, Nathan Cleary, Damien Cook, Boyd Cordner (c), Angus Crichton, Jack de Belin, Tyson Frizell, Ryan James, Luke Keary, David Klemmer, James Maloney, Latrell Mitchell, Tyrone Peachey, Matt Prior, James Roberts, Tariq Sims, James Tedesco, Jake Trbojevic, Tom Trbojevic, Paul Vaughan

Queensland squad: TBA

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/17/ah-mau-named-in-kiwis-denver-squad/

MilanDragon

Juniors
As much as I’d love to see it - I don’t think Sims plays origin. Filter (rightfully) will want to minimise changes and stick with his 17. Only problem is RCG, which surely Ryan James covers for.

Could Sims play prop? Yes. However his best form is at 2nd row so he’d be wasted there, and Frizz is a prop option but should be on the edge. Cordner won’t be dropped, leaves only Crichton who I can’t see Freddy dropping

Coffs dragon

Bench
Yes congratulations to all the Dragons boys for their deserved selections and well done. I do question the New Zealand selectors if they are ex Queensland selectors, since when is Samoa part of New Zealand! Obviously when unavailability and injury force the borders & nationality to be stretched.....the QLD way.
I still can't get over how Bowraville (GI's hometown) south of me is part of Queensland!!!
The rules are all a joke.

Old Timer

Coach
I don’t think I would want to be the bloke that tells James Graham he should be rested after the rep round.
Not sure when they all get back inn but if it is a day before our next game IMO if we are going to rest JDB & Frizz then I would want Graham on the paddock at some point guiding Host & Co.
Maybe he comes in off the bench at the 25 - 30 minute mark as that is the time that the young blokes might be flagging a bit.

Bench
On the post op interview Widdop said he will play. That was after McGregor said all players would be assessed by the HPU when the players returned.

Dragsters

First Grade
As much as I’d love to see it - I don’t think Sims plays origin. Filter (rightfully) will want to minimise changes and stick with his 17. Only problem is RCG, which surely Ryan James covers for.

Could Sims play prop? Yes. However his best form is at 2nd row so he’d be wasted there, and Frizz is a prop option but should be on the edge. Cordner won’t be dropped, leaves only Crichton who I can’t see Freddy dropping

MG reckons brandy likes Jake Turbo to starting prop and Sims to the bench.

He said during game 1, Tariq was the most enthusiastic 18th man he'd ever seen...

getsmarty

Immortal
bremners-17072322.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Bremner fresh perspective after spate of injuries
Author
Tanisha Stanton
Timestamp
Tue 19 Jun 2018, 08:01 AM

It wasn't until injury took rugby league away from NSW Blues fullback Sam Bremner that she realised how much the sport meant to her.

Bremner spent 14 months out of the game following a shocking run of injuries, including a broken leg, a high ankle sprain as well as torn muscles and ligaments.

But the match-winner has returned, eager than ever to prove her comeback is complete in Friday night's Origin clash when New South Wales take on Queensland at North Sydney Oval.

The Australian international said only recently she realised the time she spent out of the game was pivotal as it made her revisit why she even started playing.

"I think it's been a massive blessing in disguise and it did take me a while to think that to be honest," Bremner said.

"I feel different in the way I approach rugby league now. I've always been a really passionate player and I don't think I'll ever lose that, even after my playing days are done.

"Sometimes we get overwhelmed with how much the sport has to offer, it is easy to get lost in all of that.

"I think having the game taken away from me when I wasn't ready for it has made me hungrier than ever to just have fun and play with my friends again."

brmner-s-16050602.jpg

Jillaroos fullback Sam Bremner. :copyright:NRL Photos
Bremner made her return to representative football at the Country Championships earlier this month.

Following a string of stellar performances for NSW Country, Bremner is grateful she is able to again represent NSW.

"I'm happy to be here, I'm happy to be healthy and running around with the girls again," she said.

"I'm taking every day as it comes and I'm just not taking anything for granted."

NSW Blues and NSW Country teammate Kezie Apps said she is really looking forward to running out alongside Bremner on Friday night.

"For her to be back in the representative jersey is great....she's so excited and we're all excited too because she brings so much to the team," she said.

Women's Origin preview

"I've played a few games without her at club level and we just get a little bit lost, Sam's talk and her presence is amazing.

"The break that she's had with her leg has been really good for her and I think she took that extra time as well to make sure everything was right."

NSW and Australian captain Ruan Sims wasn't as fortunate as the Country Championships, suffering serious nose and hand injuries which resulted in surgery.

Bremner conceded Sims will be sorely missed on Friday night.

"She (Ruan) plays so many roles.... she isn't just that big strong girl that does all the hard yards on the field, she's an absolute leader," she said.

"But that makes all of us keen to step up even more. There is nothing more motivating than one of your teammates not being able to pursue their dreams, so we'll do our best this weekend to go out there and win it for her and the rest of the girls."

Kelly Ready To Fire For NSW

Holden Women's State of Origin is ready to kick-off a new era in elite women's sport. Witness the spirit of Origin manifest on the iconic North Sydney Oval on Friday, June 22. Tickets available now!

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/19/bremner-fresh-perspective-after-spate-of-injuries/

Drakon

Juniors
To make it easy, here are the rep games on free to air this weekend and their times. (Not kickoff times but TV show time)

Fri Jun 22 - Women's State of Origin - 7.30pm on 9/9HD
Sat Jun 23 - PNG vs Fiji - 4.00pm on 9 GEM
Sat Jun 23 - Samoa vs Tonga - 7.00pm on 9/9HD
Sun 24 Jun - Men's State of Origin - 7.00pm on 9/9HD