What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
How inconsistent are you! Good for some not for others! I've read the comments section and their are those that ridicule this very informative article. Oddly enough we have so called rugby league fans on this website also not liking what they have read! ? That article is extremely detailed and very telltale. For peoole on this rugby-league site to dismiss and ridicule it is beyond belief . I mentioned this scornful and disingenuous stance by some on this website to a very educated lady last night and she shook her head and stated "They get rat bags everywhere these days."
I'm sorry you feel that way, however the article only makes hearsay claims, and does not support the various positions you have put forward with any factual, substantive evidence.

Until it does, any reasonable person is well within their rights to dismiss the article as opinion, and not fact.

Stallion

First Grade
That is VERY well known in NZ that NZ Rugby supplied the equipment and refs, at their cost, and stated it was only for the express use of Rugby. So what? it is well within their rights to do so. No difference to someone giving a school money for the express use of a music building. Its their money they decide how its used.

It did not prevent League being played in schools, it just facilitated rugby being able to be played. There was nothing stopping the NZRL doing the same, other than the fact they had no money.

And once again you have failed to provide a single piece of evidence to support your claims of repression.

That Te Kaha was a major reason why you have argued that union has an entitlement to NZ schooling! I understand that union would not let rugby league use its equipment. So if rugby league were to proactively approach most NZ schools with support, rugby league would gain more traction?

Te Kaha

First Grade
That Te Kaha was a major reason why you have argued that union has an entitlement to NZ schooling! I understand that union would not let rugby league use its equipment. So if rugby league were to proactively approach most NZ schools with support, rugby league would gain more traction?

I have NEVER argued that anybody has "has an entitlement to NZ schooling" you just made that up.

And its entirely possible that if the NZRL paid for refs and jerseys and schoolkid comps that it would gain more "traction". However that is not a sure thing as there also has to be interest in the game. And just because YOU Think that League is the equivalent of the second coming, doesn't mean that any other kid will.

Stallion

First Grade
I'm sorry you feel that way, however the article only makes hearsay claims, and does not support the various positions you have put forward with any factual, substantive evidence.

Until it does, any reasonable person is well within their rights to dismiss the article as opinion, and not fact.

So you do not believe what that article has informed!? The information is very concise and attributes various actions with names, dates and credible details? Wow. That's so dissapointing from a person whom purports to be a rugby league fan.

Stallion

First Grade
I have NEVER argued that anybody has "has an entitlement to NZ schooling" you just made that up.

And its entirely possible that if the NZRL paid for refs and jerseys and schoolkid comps that it would gain more "traction". However that is not a sure thing as there also has to be interest in the game. And just because YOU Think that League is the equivalent of the second coming, doesn't mean that any other kid will.

States the "Rockssolid" rugby league fan! You have intimated that line of thought and entitlement when rebuking my observations concerning the lack of rugby league in NZ schooling.

Te Kaha

First Grade
So you do not believe what that article has informed!? The information is very concise and attributes various actions with names, dates and credible details? Wow. That's so dissapointing from a person whom purports to be a rugby league fan.

There are no names or dates in that article about NZ or NZ schools. how is that evidence of your claim?

Timmah

Staff member
I have already asked you to not cast aspersions about those who challenge you or disagree with your assertions. Please stick to the discussion.

The only detailed information in the article refers to repression of rugby league in South Africa which I don't believe anybody here would dispute.

You have repeatedly used the article as though it supports your claims of RL suppression by RU in New Zealand, of which the article only makes a single mention, and with a caveat that it is unofficial. There are no names, dates or credible details to support that claim.

You are free to research and provide alternative sources to support your claim.

Stallion

First Grade
You still have yet to supply any evidence of your claims.

Ok. One small bit of evidence that you are consistently at pains to dismiss as irrelevant ! Graham Lowe informed in his book that he was caned at school for playing rugby league on weekends. Mind you another contributor put this fact forward and you were quick to trivialize and ridicule it. Their was no concern from your part and no thought as to how many students have endured such treatment for playing rugby league? Just dismissive hyperbole.

Stallion

First Grade
LOL you cant discuss with Stallion, he doesnt read your view, he just cuts and pastes previous posts of his own! He makes unsubstantiated claims and when you ask him for proof he insults you with being a union apologist, not a real fan or someone who wants to see the game destroyed. I've yet to see him put forward an evidence based argument on any of his 5 issues he is stuck on!

Maybe he can buck the trend and show us evidence of RL not being allowed in NZ schools?

Stallion have you ever consideredt that Union is just more popular than League in NZ and kids are choosing to play Union over League? Here's a good example. No bias from the school about what kids can pay but obviously because of which sport kids are deciding to play they field 2 RL sides and 18 Union sides!

Until he NZRL gets decent funding and RL's profile and interest is raised in NZ I suspect this will always be the case.

https://www.westlake.school.nz/sport/rugby-league/

I note that the "allowed" word which I haven't used in this context is being referred to . Please stop being misleading. I am stating that Rugby league is not being given a fair go in NZ. A number of reasons can be attributed to this. I accept proactive funding from rugby league bodies as one. However when I see stories of people getting the cane (Graham Lowe)for playing rugby league on weekends, I am certain that a bias against the rugby league exists in NZ schooling. These glaring examples seem to be trivialized and dismissed very quickly by those that choose to defend /deflect such a stance toward rugby league . These people also purport to be rugby league fans on a rugby league website.

Perth Red

Post Whore
From what I'm seeing and reading, the vast majority of schools in New Zealand do not (repeat DO NOT) play the very enjoyable code of rugby league. I would suggest the efforts of Kiwi rugby league are astoundingly impressive given the the lack of presence the code has in New Zealand schools. The mainstream Public of Australia are not aware of this lack of rugby league presence in NZ schooling . This has a significant impact on the rugby league code in New Zealand.

What are you seeing and reading? Where is your evidence of this? For goodness sake if your going to throw out sweeping statements then back them up. I’ve already shown you how many kids are playing RL in secondary schools in NZ, a quick google search is all it takes, and it shows that RL is not getting any different treatment to most other sports in NZ and has a pretty strong presence.

As for the graham Lowe story, that would have been decades ago. We all know there was massive discrimination against RL across the world decades ago, no one is disputing that, but you are claiming it now and can’t show one single piece of evidence to back up the claim of what is happening today. The simple facts are for the umteenth and final time

1. Union is more popular in NZ and Union spends more money growing its grass roots, therefore more kids and schools play it
2. NZRL is skint and can’t/doesn’t throw money at grassroots or schools
3. RL is played in a large number of schools in NZ and is the 4th most popular participation sport in secondary schools for boys.

End of.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
More interesting is that the contact sports are diminishing in participation whilst non contact sports like basketball and volleyball are increasing. Are kids going soft or is it risk adverse parents?

Perth Red

Post Whore
PPS why haven’t the mods moved this to the fight cave? It has nothing to do with international RL.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Ok. One small bit of evidence that you are consistently at pains to dismiss as irrelevant ! Graham Lowe informed in his book that he was caned at school for playing rugby league on weekends. Mind you another contributor put this fact forward and you were quick to trivialize and ridicule it. Their was no concern from your part and no thought as to how many students have endured such treatment for playing rugby league? Just dismissive hyperbole.

The only thing that is evidence of is that at the school he attended he was canned for playing League. It does not show anything else. It was also fifty years ago.
It doesn't explain or give credence to anything you have claimed.

Te Kaha

First Grade
What are you seeing and reading? Where is your evidence of this? For goodness sake if your going to throw out sweeping statements then back them up. I’ve already shown you how many kids are playing RL in secondary schools in NZ, a quick google search is all it takes, and it shows that RL is not getting any different treatment to most other sports in NZ and has a pretty strong presence.

As for the graham Lowe story, that would have been decades ago. We all know there was massive discrimination against RL across the world decades ago, no one is disputing that, but you are claiming it now and can’t show one single piece of evidence to back up the claim of what is happening today. The simple facts are for the umteenth and final time

1. Union is more popular in NZ and Union spends more money growing its grass roots, therefore more kids and schools play it
3. RL is played in a large number of schools in NZ and is the 4th most popular participation sport in secondary schools for boys.

End of.

This... just this.

Te Kaha

First Grade
PPS why haven’t the mods moved this to the fight cave? It has nothing to do with international RL.

This thread was created as Stallions last chance. He can post his theories and accusations in here as long as he doesn't hijack other threads with them. But since he refuses to back up his claims he gets argued with.

batley

Juniors
The posts I have made in the past were about the bias that was taking place when I was coaching League and refereeing here in NZ.
I only started posting about this when I could see that Stallion's posts were drawing abuse instead of discussion
This bias continues in countries around the world and is well documented.

Te Kaha

First Grade
The posts I have made in the past were about the bias that was taking place when I was coaching League and refereeing here in NZ.
I only started posting about this when I could see that Stallion's posts were drawing abuse instead of discussion
How many decades ago was this? where was it? and what corroboration do you have with it?

Timmah

Staff member
If it is well documented, then you will have no trouble researching this, provided credible and clear links to factual evidence to assert your claim.

Anything else is just bluff and bluster.

Stallion

First Grade

End of.

Lol. Not end of. Rugby league can and should be much more popular. It has proven to be extremely popular when the Warriors make grandfinals. This popularity shows its potential. Some of us don't sell this sport of rugby league short. Some do.