What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Request for Jersey Designers

nöyd

Staff member
Anyone keen for a crack at the Eels 2004 Seven's Jersey? I'm getting a little better at graphics but not good enough to have a go at this :roll:

parra7.jpg

cheers 8)

thomo

Juniors
Now that Inertia is gone, and we won't be getting the second installment of International Edition, is there any chance of someone putting up the Japanese, Italian and Greek jerseys/logos that were going to be included in it?

strong_latte

Juniors
Does anyone know if people have made either the international jersey's in a high res format like timmo's SOO and club ones and also if there are the updated ESL jerseys (as quite alot of them changed this year)?
Cheers

strong_latte

Juniors
Timmo, Your jersey's are by far the best! They shit on the ones Sidhe made, so I was wondering if your planning of doing high res versions of the 3 international jersey's and the superleague (half of which have got different designs since the release of the game)?
I know it must have been bloody hard doing the NRL and SOO ones, but it would be absolutely wicked to have the whole set with that quality...

Jonotallica

Juniors
I agree.

But Timmo ruled out doing Super League jerseys unfortunately. Which is a shame because there aren't really any good SL jerseys out there to download. By memory I think he said there is a chance he'd make a NZ one.

If I were Sidhe, (if/when) there is a sequal I'd be seeing what Timmo is up to. And I'm not just saying that to give Timmo a wrap, I mean the Xbox and PS2 versions aren't patchable, so wouldn't it be better if the people who buy those could have the best jerseys possible?

strong_latte

Juniors
Jonotallica said:
I agree.

But Timmo ruled out doing Super League jerseys unfortunately. Which is a shame because there aren't really any good SL jerseys out there to download. By memory I think he said there is a chance he'd make a NZ one.

If I were Sidhe, (if/when) there is a sequal I'd be seeing what Timmo is up to. And I'm not just saying that to give Timmo a wrap, I mean the Xbox and PS2 versions aren't patchable, so wouldn't it be better if the people who buy those could have the best jerseys possible?

Nah your right mate! The jersey's one the XBOX and PS2 versions look very amature compared to Timmo's high res 2004 NRL jersey's! He should seriously be considered for employment for the design of the jersey's by sidhe for the next game!
Oh and just out of quriosity, I know it would be very very time consuming to do all the super league jersey's but how about even just high res versions of all the tri nations jersey's, aswell as the proper tri-nations logo (being the ball with a slice of all three jersey's in it) to replace the current black and gold thing?

Mario

Juniors
strong_latte said:
Nah your right mate! The jersey's one the XBOX and PS2 versions look very amature compared to Timmo's high res 2004 NRL jersey's! He should seriously be considered for employment for the design of the jersey's by sidhe for the next game!

Just to provide some perspective on the situation, the Xbox and PS2 versions weren't capable of using high resolution jerseys due to limitations on the hardware and our implementation at the time. If you put Timmo's jerseys on Xbox and PS2 it would halve the frame rate.

Hopefully, having improved our knowledge of the consoles and with ongoing improvements to our technology, a possible sequel will make more efficient usage of the texturing capabilities of the consoles which could mean higher resolution jerseys without a performance hit.

strong_latte

Juniors
Mario said:
strong_latte said:

Just to provide some perspective on the situation, the Xbox and PS2 versions weren't capable of using high resolution jerseys due to limitations on the hardware and our implementation at the time. If you put Timmo's jerseys on Xbox and PS2 it would halve the frame rate.

Hopefully, having improved our knowledge of the consoles and with ongoing improvements to our technology, a possible sequel will make more efficient usage of the texturing capabilities of the consoles which could mean higher resolution jerseys without a performance hit.

I didn't mean to say that you guys don't know what your doing mario, I was trying to point out just how impressive Timmo's jersey's are considering he wasn't even paid to do it...
I know what you mean about the consoles limitations, but if you look at FIFA and MADDEN they have VERY accurate and high resolution jersey's with no frame rate loss... I don't know how they do it, but there's obviously a way.

Mario

Juniors
strong_latte said:
I know what you mean about the consoles limitations, but if you look at FIFA and MADDEN they have VERY accurate and high resolution jersey's with no frame rate loss... I don't know how they do it, but there's obviously a way.

Yes, I believe the texturing method they are employing is the well known "Get US$10 million and two years to create the game" approach :)

strong_latte

Juniors
Mario said:
strong_latte said:

Yes, I believe the texturing method they are employing is the well known "Get US$10 million and two years to create the game" approach :)

Yeah it's a proven approach alright! But seriously, I know they have stupidly big budgets for those games, but all the same, do you guys even know what sort of technology and programming and software they use...

Mario

Juniors
strong_latte said:
But seriously, I know they have stupidly big budgets for those games, but all the same, do you guys even know what sort of technology and programming and software they use...

We have a PS2 Performance Analyser development kit which enables us to effectively reverse engineer other games and see how they are doing things (to a degree), as well as optimising our own games.

Madden is an example of great technical engineering - very well built geometry and very efficient usage of the hardware. They are squeezing every drop of performance out of the PS2. My hat is off to the programmers and artists on that team.

Jonotallica

Juniors
Mario I somehow knew that would be brought up. I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about using hi resolution jerseys as I know the console's hardware is limited. I'm just talking about the designs themselves. You could make jerseys that are 1024x1024 pixels and they would still look bad unless designed well.

You can shrink Timmo's down to 256x256 and they still look just as good in most situations, except closeups after a try is scored for eg. Which is the same situation as the original jerseys, I just prefer Timmo's designs, which is why I suggested it. If he did jerseys that good for a free patch online, I can only imagine how good they would be if he was designing them for the real game. I'm not trying to tell you your business, it's just a suggestion.

Mario

Juniors
Dragon Fanatic said:
Why can't you do that then?
Or is it harder than it sounds.

Why can't we do exactly what EA is doing in Madden? Well, there are a few key differences such as

- American Football has 22 on the field at one time, League has 26 (Union is worse)
- in Madden the players hair is hidden under the helmet (which can be shared across all players), in RL we have to show different, potentially unique hairstyles
- the 'simple' structure of the pads makes it easier to create optimised geometry

The above examples mean that we have more data we are trying to display on screen, so its a little harder to achieve the same results even if we did have the same resources.

We will of course take across what we can into our own technology, but bear in mind reverse engineering is not just a matter of copy and pasting - we don't have access to there source code. The PS2 Performance Analyser lets us look behind the scenes, but it doesn't give us the blueprints.

In any case, we have been researching a number of different graphics techniques and improving our technology. If a Rugby League sequel appears, you could expect a range of graphical improvements on all platforms.

strong_latte

Juniors
Mario said:
Dragon Fanatic said:
Why can't you do that then?
Or is it harder than it sounds.

Why can't we do exactly what EA is doing in Madden? Well, there are a few key differences such as

- American Football has 22 on the field at one time, League has 26 (Union is worse)
- in Madden the players hair is hidden under the helmet (which can be shared across all players), in RL we have to show different, potentially unique hairstyles
- the 'simple' structure of the pads makes it easier to create optimised geometry

The above examples mean that we have more data we are trying to display on screen, so its a little harder to achieve the same results even if we did have the same resources.

We will of course take across what we can into our own technology, but bear in mind reverse engineering is not just a matter of copy and pasting - we don't have access to there source code. The PS2 Performance Analyser lets us look behind the scenes, but it doesn't give us the blueprints.

In any case, we have been researching a number of different graphics techniques and improving our technology. If a Rugby League sequel appears, you could expect a range of graphical improvements on all platforms.

I don't mean to niggle this issue Mario, but I know madden don't have to worry about hair styles and they have tight cloes etc, but what about FIFA? True they are only 11 a team also, but they have incredible variation of hair style's, faces, uniforms and even facial expressions aswell as unbelievably detailed and active crowds!
Thats one thing that was really poor in the graphics department of NRL, the crowds... it seemed that everyone in the crowd were just wearing different coloured warriors jumpers!