What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reserves Rd 5 v Panthers

1. Dylan Smith
2. Harry O'Toole
3. Tommy Talau
4. Kane McQuiggin
5. Kane Bradley
6. Tyson Gamble
7. Kauri Aupouri (capt.)
8. Joseph Ratuvakacereivalu
9. Braden Robson
10. Elia Faatui
11. Sam McIntyre
12. Jack Miller
13. Robbie Rochow

Interchange:
14. Patrice Siolo
18. Alex Seyfarth
19. Bilal Maarbani
23. Soni Luke

Tiger Ted

Bench
Good to see some of the younger guys get a run. Think Talau might push for first grade later in the year.
Madge would b giving kids like Talau & Bradley enormous confidence & incentive to play NRL sooner than later.He is known to reward youth with ability & wont hesitate to fastrack a kid into the NRL team. Currently the opportunities are transparent at the WT in the 3/4’s for a precocious talent to make his debut soon.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I know we had a convincing win & if anybody watched it I’m curious to know how the rookie 3/4’s went Talau & Bradley

trevcogger

Juniors
I know we had a convincing win & if anybody watched it I’m curious to know how the rookie 3/4’s went Talau & Bradley

Bradley scored a nice wingers try,but Talau wasn’t sighted much.
The #7 and Gamble were best for mine.
Interesting when interviewed after the game when Elijah Taylor was asked what he had to do to get back in 1st grade he said.
“I need to improve my attack first before that happens”......Got to love Madge:thumbsup_tone2:

Tiger Ted

Bench
Bradley scored a nice wingers try,but Talau wasn’t sighted much.
The #7 and Gamble were best for mine.
Interesting when interviewed after the game when Elijah Taylor was asked what he had to do to get back in 1st grade he said.
“I need to improve my attack first before that happens”......Got to love Madge:thumbsup_tone2:
Thanks TC for the report.

Hopefully the younger guys in the backs develop quickly & can put pressure on our 1st graders.

trevcogger

Juniors
Thanks TC for the report.

Hopefully the younger guys in the backs develop quickly & can put pressure on our 1st graders.
Yes mate we need some speed out wide don’t we.
I didn’t see any of that though.
Forget Momorovski,too slow and just a backup.
That McIntyre went ok as well..

Tiger Ted

Bench
Yes mate we need some speed out wide don’t we.
I didn’t see any of that though.
Forget Momorovski,too slow and just a backup.
That McIntyre went ok as well..
To bad about mono.No doubt if he had the goods Madge wouldn’t hesitate to select him in 1sts.Its not as if he has tough competition for a spot in our 3/4s.

Good to hear McIntyre went well.

The Western Suburbs Magpies have bounced back from their heavy loss last week in fitting style with a commanding 32-12 victory over the Penrith Panthers at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday.

The Magpies were boosted by the late inclusions of NRL stars Elijah Taylor and David Nofoaluma into the starting line-up while the addition of Paul Momirovski at left-centre also bolstered their attacking prowess.

The last-minute reshuffle paid dividends as Wests orchestrated an attacking masterclass on either side of half-time – lead by the ever-green Kauri Aupouri-Puketapu who put aside an early blunder to cross for two vital tries in the second-half.

It was the first time the Panthers had recorded back-to-back losses since their four consecutive defeats between Rounds 5-8 of the 2017 season.

While Aupouri-Puketapu impressed in his two-try performance it was also the experience of Taylor that proved significant with his tireless efforts in defence resonating with his team-mates.

Taylor credited a rather simple game plan as the key to the strong attacking performance but acknowledged the effort on the other side of the ball was just as influential.

"It was a credit to our game plan because it was pretty simple - we just wanted to hold the ball, complete our sets...and Penrith gave us alot of opportunities in their (own) half," Taylor told NSWRL.com.au.

"(Defensively) that's the culture we're trying to build at the Wests Tigers – it's what Madge (Michael Maguire) wants us to be alot better at and we've done a lot of work in the past three months over pre-season.

"We've just been trying to get our defence right and it's good that the second-grade boys have been defending well and it made my job alot easier."

The game opened as a gritty affair as the scores were levelled at 4-all after 15 although it was the Panthers who got off to a flying start through 2018 Player of the Year, Caleb Aekins.

Aekins' try was courtesy of a late Jed Cartwright offload as the Panthers took a 4-0 lead after just two minutes following a fumble from Apouri-Puketapu on the opening kick-off.

But they would be made to rue their costly handling errors in the period following as the Magpies recorded three unanswered tries in a relentless 12-minute period to take a 14-4 lead after 30 minutes.

Their first came through Sam McIntyre when he crashed over from close-range in the 14th minute before a carbon-copy effort and some slick hands from Momirovski sent Kane Bradley over for a try on his Canterbury Cup NSW debut.

Tyson Gamble then took it upon himself to give his side an early stranglehold in the contest with a powerful 30m dash helping them to a 10-point advantage.

Repeated infringements and increasing ill-discipline came to a climax when Brent Naden was sin-binned shortly before half-time, but despite the Magpies having a one-man advantage it was Penrith who would make the breakthrough.

A pinpoint grubber from Jarome Luai saw Brian Too pounce on the loose ball with an athletic finish in the left-hand corner to set a 14-8 scoreline at the break.

The Magpies were able to sustain pressure early in the second-half when Momirovski drove Aekins into the in-goal before they capitalised through Aupouri-Puketapu when he split the Panthers defence on the ensuing set-of-six.

The Panthers threatened to hit-back just moments later when Liam Coleman looked to have scored off a Luai grubber only for the referee to rule a knock-on in the process of grounding the ball.

The Magpies had a golden chance to capitalise on the seven-tackle set thanks to a 60m run from Momirovski but they were unable to take advantage as the scrambling Panthers defence held strong.

But Wests' persistence would eventually be rewarded when David Nofoaluma sent Gamble through before he found a supporting Dylan Smith before Aupouri-Puketapuput the icing on the cake with his second try in the 68th minute.

A consolation try to Ratu Tuisese would prove to have little bearing on the final result as the Magpies restored pride with a gallant victory at home.

Tries:
  • Sam McIntyre 14'
  • Kane Bradley 20'
  • Tyson Gamble 26'
  • Kauri Aupouri-Puketapu 43'
  • Dylan Smith 63'
  • Kauri Aupouri-Puketapu 68'
Conversions:
Momirovski 4

Momirovski and not Gamble kicking !!

The unknown

Juniors
The young half seems to be a prospect, interesting he is captain aswell so he must be seen as a leader which is perfect for a halfback

Team of the week only posted this afternoon.

6. Tyson Gamble
Club: Western Suburbs Magpies; 2019 TOTW selections: 2

One try, try-assists, two line-breaks, one line-break assists, five tackle-breaks, 132 total metres

17. Elijah Taylor
Club: Western Suburbs Magpies; 2019 TOTW selections: 1

114 total metres, two tackle-breaks, one offload, 30 tackles.

The Rosco

Bench
Team of the week only posted this afternoon.

6. Tyson Gamble
Club: Western Suburbs Magpies; 2019 TOTW selections: 2

One try, try-assists, two line-breaks, one line-break assists, five tackle-breaks, 132 total metres

17. Elijah Taylor
Club: Western Suburbs Magpies; 2019 TOTW selections: 1

114 total metres, two tackle-breaks, one offload, 30 tackles.

OTT . . . mate, hopefully Madge takes note, and gives this kid a go sooner than later.. Jennings might have experience, but this kid has got a helluva lot more to offer.
Canterbury debuted some newbie kid from the CC that was travelling mediocre, even at that level.
But Pay gave him a go.
Debuted against us, if I recall.
His name was Okenbur, or something. Big, rangy kid with dreads.
But he probably did nothing and lost the game for the dogs.
Surprised I even remembered his name.
Wonder what he's doing now ?

I hear you Rosco but......we always have to remember that sometimes, some guys just don't show that x-factor in their games that gets the 1st grade coach across the line. Maybe Gamble is that type of player to Madge.

He got a run last year and I'd still like to see him get a go in 1st grade in the centres though.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
OTT . . . mate, hopefully Madge takes note, and gives this kid a go sooner than later.. Jennings might have experience, but this kid has got a helluva lot more to offer.
Canterbury debuted some newbie kid from the CC that was travelling mediocre, even at that level.
But Pay gave him a go.
Debuted against us, if I recall.
His name was Okenbur, or something. Big, rangy kid with dreads.
But he probably did nothing and lost the game for the dogs.
Surprised I even remembered his name.
Wonder what he's doing now ?

Okunbor is a beast with a huge potential though. Unlikely we have someone like that toiling in reggies.

Shredder

Juniors
I think Gamble has the transferable skills to be a running centre.
He also has the size, hes a big kid and his defence is more than acceptable.

Its a spot we are short on and I wouldn't mind giving him a few weeks there to try and win himself a spot. Hes a talented player and good halves depth and if we lose him because we don't play him we will need to replace him anyway.