What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resting players before finals

Sime_11

Juniors
we are in the very convenient position of being multiple games ahead with the Minor Prem in sight. its been a big season again for the Panthers with a heavy Origin toll. some players are getting that crucial rest/healing period for the finals due to suspensions/injuries, but those who are fit and able to play - how do you manage their workload leading into September, ensuring they are fit and firing?

limited minutes in games
managing certain players each game and rotate

I suppose the risk in resting players for the Cowboys game is if we win Week 1, some players will have only played 1 game in 3 weeks and potential to be off the boil.

the warriors game looks the convenient game to give alot of the boys some rest

WestyLife

First Grade
we are in the very convenient position of being multiple games ahead with the Minor Prem in sight. its been a big season again for the Panthers with a heavy Origin toll. some players are getting that crucial rest/healing period for the finals due to suspensions/injuries, but those who are fit and able to play - how do you manage their workload leading into September, ensuring they are fit and firing?

limited minutes in games

I suppose the risk in resting players for the Cowboys game is if we win Week 1, some players will have only played 1 game in 3 weeks and potential to be off the boil.

From what Ivan has said in the past they manage training load during the week. Also you could adjust the interchange to limit minutes.

As an example Yeo could come off early or whatever player you think needs to have an easier game. Staines and Turuva have both been on the bench you could play Edwards for 40 minutes. Players could also be completely rested but I'd have them back for the last round. The possibility is endless.

YoungPanther

Juniors

limited minutes in games

Disagree.

We play the Cows Saturday at 7.50pm which means they don't fly back until Sunday at the earliest. Rehab etc. Our opponent the following week could have already played, rested/training, so send up the entire reserve grade side.

Not likely, but we could have a Friday game 1st week - not certain how they work the finals draw.

Disagree.

We play the Cows Saturday at 7.50pm which means they don't fly back until Sunday at the earliest. Rehab etc. Our opponent the following week could have already played, rested/training, so send up the entire reserve grade side.

Not likely, but we could have a Friday game 1st week - not certain how they work the finals draw.
We played on the Friday night in Week 1 of the finals in 2020 so highly likely that it will be the same deal this year.

snickers007

Juniors
Disagree.

The finals draw isn't set in stone, and can be massaged by the NRL.

Here is the draw for Rnd25:
Thurs - Eels v Storm
Fri - Bulldogs v Sea Eagles
Fri - Roosters v Rabbits
Sat - Warriors v Titans
Sat - Dragons v Broncos
Sat - Cowboys v Panthers
Sun - Knights v Sharks
Sun - Tigers v Raiders

Given that, and the likely final ladder positions, I this the fairest allocation would be:
Fri - 5 v 8 or 6 v 7 (likely Eels or Storm home game)
Sat afternoon - 5 v 8 or 6 v 7 (likely Rabbits, Roosters or Broncos home game)
Sat evening - 2 v 3 (likely Cowboys or Sharks home game)
Sun afternoon - 1 v 4 (Panthers home game)

Only way that would radically change is if the Raiders sneak in to 8th. With travel home from Sydney and then travel back to Sydney or up to Townsville on a 5-6 day turnaround would be a bit rough.

I think we'll either play Storm or Eels first up, so yeah they'll have a few days on us - but if it's Melbourne, they will have 2 travel days in between.

YoungPanther

Juniors
The finals draw isn't set in stone, and can be massaged by the NRL.

Here is the draw for Rnd25:
Thurs - Eels v Storm
Fri - Bulldogs v Sea Eagles
Fri - Roosters v Rabbits
Sat - Warriors v Titans
Sat - Dragons v Broncos
Sat - Cowboys v Panthers
Sun - Knights v Sharks
Sun - Tigers v Raiders

Given that, and the likely final ladder positions, I this the fairest allocation would be:
Fri - 5 v 8 or 6 v 7 (likely Eels or Storm home game)
Sat afternoon - 5 v 8 or 6 v 7 (likely Rabbits, Roosters or Broncos home game)
Sat evening - 2 v 3 (likely Cowboys or Sharks home game)
Sun afternoon - 1 v 4 (Panthers home game)

Only way that would radically change is if the Raiders sneak in to 8th. With travel home from Sydney and then travel back to Sydney or up to Townsville on a 5-6 day turnaround would be a bit rough.

I think we'll either play Storm or Eels first up, so yeah they'll have a few days on us - but if it's Melbourne, they will have 2 travel days in between.
I think we will play either the Storm or Eels too.

In that case, they will have Friday off, Saturday Rehab and Sunday start training (maybe) and we haven't even left Townsville. If we pick up a couple of niggling injuries, they have a significant head start in preparation.

Iamback

Coach
Players keep forcing Ivan's hand.

You don't want to rest guys in the last round. Do it for the Souffs or Warriors game

Mojo

Bench
Saints have this sussed. We rested some of our best players all year and the remainder of the squad started winding-down a few weeks ago.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
So, now that the minor premiership is settled, I would rest every single player that has a niggle for the Warriors next week (so maybe May, Martin, Edwards etc.) and then bring back the full-strength side for the Cowboys to give the team time to gel again before the finals.

betcats

Referee
Cleary mentioned post game they have a plan for resting guys the next two weeks. For the warriors id rest Api, Yeo and Dyl, maybe Kikau also since he hasnt quite been himself the last two weeks. I'd be tempted to play a stronger side against the cows to finish but would rest anyone carrying a knock. If there are none then give Leota a rest and play Api limited minutes again and maybe Yeo as well.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Cleary mentioned post game they have a plan for resting guys the next two weeks. For the warriors id rest Api, Yeo and Dyl, maybe Kikau also since he hasnt quite been himself the last two weeks. I'd be tempted to play a stronger side against the cows to finish but would rest anyone carrying a knock. If there are none then give Leota a rest and play Api limited minutes again and maybe Yeo as well.
I think Kikau should come off the bench for a week or two. Needs form not a rest imo.

Latest posts