What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resting Players Before the Finals...

ghoti

Bench
If we beat the Tigers on the weekend, we're assured a spot in the bottom four (if we aren't already), and with Souths and Melbourne both kicking on (and us having to beat Manly) I feel like we're a veeery slim chance of the Top 4...

Does this seem like an opportune time to rest some merkins against Parra? I know it won't happen, but I'm terrified of Ennis going down during the finals, and Lewis is carrying injury HARD... Gal is also looking tired as f**k mid-match and either needs a week or to be subbed

Well the Flying Burrito Fafita brothers scored an unplanned holiday and I hope they are all the better for it physically when the finals arrive.

Otherwise, we can't afford it, only the rich and clubs with creative salary cap strategies can afford it. I bet Lewie would not have been playing had Taga not been suspended. We are not assured of anything at the moment with 3 rounds to play.

Craigshark

First Grade
Unless they have an injury, play them. If we win on the weekend, we're still a chance for the top 4..

Foz

Bench
If we finish 5th and Manly have to beat us in the last game send the reserves in with a game plan to .......
I suppose we'd get the football stadium the next week.Wont matter it's a home game because they won't travel.
Worry about it if it happens.

Panda Power 78

Juniors
Souths have Canterbury , Brisbane & Easts & Melbourne have Newcastle , Brissy & NQ - were still a fair chance of getting a top 4 spot.

bluefox1968

Juniors
Souths have Canterbury , Brisbane & Easts & Melbourne have Newcastle , Brissy & NQ - were still a fair chance of getting a top 4 spot.

Good to know - thanks PP78. Broncos and Cowboys will be eager to 'get back on track'.

I just can't see the Broncos losing - not sure about the Cowboys...

lolesi

First Grade
If we do make it, then no. Play your best team every week.

Can lose a lot of momentum resting players, have a look at the soccer World Cup for an example

Last edited:

Special K

Coach
We had the loss we needed(i doubt we could of won what 10 or so in a row required) and now we need to try and finish as high as possible.

fizman

Bench
No rest - play your best available.

Training and preparation during the week become far more important now, rather than missing a game.

My biggest concern is that the other teams are able to "lift" to Semi Final standard football. I still have doubts about our ability to match that type of intensity when the game is on the line.

Card Shark

Immortal
My biggest concern is that the other teams are able to "lift" to Semi Final standard football. I still have doubts about our ability to match that type of intensity when the game is on the line.

The Melbourne game wasn't good signs when ya look at it that way.

Windy70

Juniors
If we hit the finals with confidence and Fafita back for those times at the opposition door. We can go all the way.

But we need the momentum (as Cardy said) and the confidence. Especially among our youngsters like Bird, Feki, Holmes, Beale etc to go anywhere further than a top 8 finish.

So my thoughts are only rest players that have niggling injuries or worse. Just roll on and win 2 out of 3 or 1 against Manly and we will stand up come finals time.

After our start, I'm happy to still be interested at this end of the season.

Card Shark

Immortal
I'm not sure that I said that agent 70, but I agree, momentum is key.

We are Ben Barba personified. A confidence team!

Can't believe we had Barba playing well & now he's not. Even his critics were starting to turn. Expecting a 15 min miracle last week was unfair. Maybe the ankle injury is a blessing in disguise. Chance to rest the knee!

Madsharkie

First Grade
The Melbourne game wasn't good signs when ya look at it that way.

I think we really missed our big boys last week. With Taga back this week and Fifi for the finals we'll be in better shape. That was probably Melbourne's best game, they were allowed to slow play and got the rub of the green with the ref's calls.
Shit, at least we should be in the finals this year.... way better than trying to avoid the Spoon!