What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Result not unexpected

Our current squad is arguably our weakest ever. Most of the guys are reserve grade standard and the young guys, apart from Tedesco, haven't lived up to their hype. I absolutely detest Jason Taylor but I doubt any other coach could do much better with the players at his disposal. Of course, Taylor, along with the board, are responsible for assembling the squad and our woeful record of player recruitment and retention is well known. Barring an absolute miracle this team will come dead last (and deservedly so).

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't believe the squad is anywhere near as bad as you are stating but there does need to be some improvements. I think that Taylor is a terrible coach.

I thought that a result like today was just around the corner and I think a lot of it is Taylor's fault. He came in and stressed defence, defence, defence but the game doesn't work like that. You need to be disciplined and you definitely need to attack. I think Lovett is a Taylor type player. He works hard and can fit in but that isn't what is required to win games.

gordsy

Juniors
You can't blame taylor entirely for us playing like pea hearts and tackling like girls. What happened to having a go, having pride in the jersey and yourself.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Result wasn't unexpected and to be honest, is overdue.

But it's how Taylor responds that matters.

If he picks more than 9 of today's players next week, then he's contributing to the problem

Wizardman

First Grade
Taylor did not speak a word to them at halftime. His head was staring at the ground as Kidwell gave the halftime talk. That is very damning..... I think he will go sooner rather than later.

First time I've felt for him today. He is part of the problem, but there were bigger problems well before he came into the job.

A big personality really needs to come into this club to straighten the club up. A Toovey with full backing of the board would be a great start. I get the feeling Taylor could well be hampered by who he can / cannot drop. Potter was definitely hampered by this.

weretiger

Juniors
We have the worst forward pac and by far the worst bench in the comp so i expect more results like this the best halfs in the comp would struggle in this team

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Taylor can't coach however we just have a terrible squad.

The only true quality young player out there today was Tedesco, the others are all hype. None have done anything to warrant the press they get.

Hard to see how we are going to attract any quality players to the joint, let alone a quality coach. Let's face it, we are f**ked, well and truly f**ked.

Clifferd

Coach
We are absolutely f**king cooked atm. Until we get a hard head in here to make tough decisions I can't see us being anything other than cellar dwellers for the next 5 years

Dark dark times ahead

Self respect, spot on, benched tiger.

Any player who gets to NRL can tackle, run, pass and catch a f**king football. It's how they do those simple things in a team and as a team each week with the team they are playing against is the role of the coach and his support staff. They have let this team down.

HOWEVER as you say benched tiger, self respect, when it gets to 25 or 30 to 6 I want a captain cranky saying to the team where's your self respect? I want that captain cranky getting up and I mean really up those players and saying we are doing it this way for the next 25 minutes and we are doing it together.

As for the coach not speaking at half time, well what hangers on from the board witnessed that? What are they saying at the specially convened meeting this morning?

As for Kidwell doing the talking, he was the defensive coach, is that still the case FFS?

weretiger

Juniors
I think most of us could see the writing on the wall before the comp started ,loosing two props in the off season when we had already a soft underbelly as some would say and probally the worst second row we have ever fielded was always going to go bad any side with a big pac is going to have a field day the big pacs just look like men playing schoolboys the canberra pac looked like the couldnt wait to play this popgun outfit and they are just one many teams who cant wait to get there season on track by flogging us. So who is to blame for this ramble we have had a soft underbelly for years so the recruitment has been terrible for a long time so theres a good place to start how many of our team would get in the cowboys team ? I count 2 and one would be on the bench and then we are told that we are close to being over the cap what a absolute disaster and they wonder why the crowds are low at the local grounds why would you waste your day watching this train wreck meanderng along. I Keep hearing how unlucky we were against Melbourne they scored 5 trys could have been 30 points but couldn't kick a goal thats what kept us in the game .

Blackdiamond

Juniors
Getting rid of Taylor will again divert attention away from the elephant in the room. The players have for a long time had too much control & say, all driven by massive egos. This has been the common thread with Sheens, Potter & now Taylor being undermined. Very difficult to coach when hands are tied.
Is it a coincidence that the 2 wins this year came when Farah was not playing...? Farah played most of last season half-heartedly as he sooked like a 2y/o. His ego is out of control & it is no surprise that there came very little interest from other clubs when he was being shopped around last year - regardless of $$.
Whilst Farah is at the club, he has too much control over the playing group, major sponsors & media. Either make him captain/coach & have him fully accountable (his ego would love this) or appoint another 'puppet' & expect the exact same results. It is a shame that he was not moved on last year.
Sorry if I have upset some diehards, its just my $0.02.

Tiger05

First Grade
Farah will be gone by the end of next season. I can't see him being the problem going forward. He is a good player if used correctly.

magpie guy

Juniors
Getting rid of Taylor will again divert attention away from the elephant in the room. The players have for a long time had too much control & say, all driven by massive egos. This has been the common thread with Sheens, Potter & now Taylor being undermined. Very difficult to coach when hands are tied.
Is it a coincidence that the 2 wins this year came when Farah was not playing...? Farah played most of last season half-heartedly as he sooked like a 2y/o. His ego is out of control & it is no surprise that there came very little interest from other clubs when he was being shopped around last year - regardless of $$.
Whilst Farah is at the club, he has too much control over the playing group, major sponsors & media. Either make him captain/coach & have him fully accountable (his ego would love this) or appoint another 'puppet' & expect the exact same results. It is a shame that he was not moved on last year.
Sorry if I have upset some diehards, its just my $0.02.

I completely disagree. Farah is not the one picking Lovett, Rankin and Milone. Farah is not the one that swapped Tapau for another hooker. Farah is not the one setting the boring game plan that shackles our halves. He is also not in the halves making all the errors.

b.bear

Juniors
I completely disagree. Farah is not the one picking Lovett, Rankin and Milone. Farah is not the one that swapped Tapau for another hooker. Farah is not the one setting the boring game plan that shackles our halves. He is also not in the halves making all the errors.

agreed

I agree too magpie guy.

He also didn't come up with the 50% juniors thing, or did he :sarcasm:
He's also making more tackles per game than his forward team mates.