What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Return of the retro

yakstorm

First Grade
This year seems to be return of the Retro 'Special historical' jerseys.

We of course have Souths and Easts who have made their traditional horiztonal stripe strips as part of their regular jersey collection but in addition to that we have had:

We have had St George-Illawarra appear in their Illawarra strip
heritagejersey.jpg

We have the Bulldogs this Friday in theirs:
341.jpg

Parramatta's for against Penrith in Round 25:
retro_strip.jpg

Cowboys against Bulldogs a few weeks ago:
detail_NQC04910-0.jpg

I'm just wondering does everyone think we have sorta missed an excellent oppotunity to have like a heritage style week like the AFL? Brisbane and Newcastle both brought out retro style jerseys last year, which were highly successfuly, Cronulla the year before, its really a large marketing oppotunity the NRL and all the clubs could capitalise on, on a yearly basis.

How about having 3 jerseys altogether? main jersey, alternate, and 2nd alternate for retro or special edition jerseys.

It would be fun if we have a week where ALL teams wear special edition jerseys. Could be a new design or a replica of an older design, doesn't matter.

***MH***

Bench
Earl said:
Would Melbourne wear one?
melbourne should wear their 1999 jerseys, they are better than the ones they are wearing now!

and while we are on retro! should referee's wear their old gear?? (can't find any photo's on the net)

Southernsaint

Staff member
It's funny, at the Red Vee Members Forum, Peter Doust said that the money football clubs make from merchandice was minimal - What other motivation would there be to play in Retro jerseys??

Saints, Souths & Easts play in Retro jerseys every week, anyway...

Cheers,
Ben S.

The Bulldogs are oplaying in a retro jumper this week too and I thinkthat jumper looks great and is better than the one they are currently wearing week in week out.

ouwet

Bench
Southern Rooster said:
The Bulldogs are oplaying in a retro jumper this week too and I thinkthat jumper looks great and is better than the one they are currently wearing week in week out.

I agree... I reckon it should be the clubs away jersey :D

SP

Bench
id like to see penrith in the 1991 style jerseys, insted of the dunny paper/skid mark one

innsaneink

Referee
WestsTigers will wear 80's style Balmain jumpers V Souths at Leichhardt Rd.22

Wests Tigers will wear 80's style Magpies jumpers V Nth Qld at Campbo Rd 25

Return of the Mighty Black & White and the Mighty Black N gold.!!!

Dogs Of War

Coach
LebaneseForces said:
Southern Rooster said:

I love our current away jersey but too! I'd like to see the classic jersery brought our 2-3 times a year, but maintain the current ones also.

Dogs Of War said:
LebaneseForces said:
Southern Rooster said:

I love our current away jersey but too! I'd like to see the classic jersery brought our 2-3 times a year, but maintain the current ones also.

Yeah I think your away one is better than the home one. But that retro jersey just has a really classic look about it. I'd love to see for next year the NRL put on a heritage weekend.

Souths (current strip) v Sydney (tricolours strip)
Saints (current strip) v Cronulla (there original sky blue with the white and black V)
Canterbury (The striped jersey) v Parramatta (in the jersey shown above)
Penrith v Canberra in there 1991 GF strips.
Newcastle (1988 jersey) v Manly (In the one the wore against Norths in 1997 which was there 1947 original jumper)
Brisbane (1988) V North QLD (the one above)

In the Premier League run Newtown v Norths for the Frank Hyde Cup
Wests v Balmain and incorporate those PL games into the rest of the round as possible lead in games at Saints v Cronulla as Newtown are now there feeder club. Balmain v Wests before the Wests Tigers play there first grade game.

The Roosters v Souths at the SCG on Friday night to start the round off.
Saints v Cronulla at the SCG on the Sunday.
I would play it over the Easter long weekend so Canterbury and Parra can play on the Monday. I would also make it a Saturday afternoon game to be live on channel 9 at 3pm. Just a one off. The rest of the round on the Sunday arvo. Lastly charge 1980 prices for the weekend.

A special edition of Boots and All on the Thursday night instead of the normal footy show. I think most people would watch 2.5 hours of the history of our footy clubs as opposed to the Variety show we currently have now.

What the above would do for the round will most likely break attendance records, ratings records and give an insight to the younger followers of our game what the game used to be about before it was decreed that the game would be run by the dollar.

Well that's my idea anyway.

Bengal

Juniors
Thunderstruck said:
It would be fun if we have a week where ALL teams wear special edition jerseys. Could be a new design or a replica of an older design, doesn't matter.

Great idea! Good ideas all round. I love that parra jersey.
I love the minties jersey also

innsaneink

Referee
Southern Rooster said:
Yeah I think your away one is better than the home one. But that retro jersey just has a really classic look about it. I'd love to see for next year the NRL put on a heritage weekend.

Souths (current strip) v Sydney (tricolours strip)
Saints (current strip) v Cronulla (there original sky blue with the white and black V)
Canterbury (The striped jersey) v Parramatta (in the jersey shown above)
Penrith v Canberra in there 1991 GF strips.
Newcastle (1988 jersey) v Manly (In the one the wore against Norths in 1997 which was there 1947 original jumper)
Brisbane (1988) V North QLD (the one above)

In the Premier League run Newtown v Norths for the Frank Hyde Cup
Wests v Balmain and incorporate those PL games into the rest of the round as possible lead in games at Saints v Cronulla as Newtown are now there feeder club. Balmain v Wests before the Wests Tigers play there first grade game.

The Roosters v Souths at the SCG on Friday night to start the round off.
Saints v Cronulla at the SCG on the Sunday.
I would play it over the Easter long weekend so Canterbury and Parra can play on the Monday. I would also make it a Saturday afternoon game to be live on channel 9 at 3pm. Just a one off. The rest of the round on the Sunday arvo. Lastly charge 1980 prices for the weekend.

A special edition of Boots and All on the Thursday night instead of the normal footy show. I think most people would watch 2.5 hours of the history of our footy clubs as opposed to the Variety show we currently have now.

What the above would do for the round will most likely break attendance records, ratings records and give an insight to the younger followers of our game what the game used to be about before it was decreed that the game would be run by the dollar.
Well that's my idea anyway.

Im sure WestsTigers at Campbo in Magpies jumpers in Rd.25 and at Leichhardt Oval in Balmain jerseys in Rd.22 will send those crowds thru the roof.

maggies.jpg

God!!! How I miss the black......it is wasted at penrith, its ours.I want it back!!! :lol:

hrundi99

First Grade
Dogs Of War said:
LebaneseForces said:
Southern Rooster said:

In the NHL there are 6 clubs who were the orginal teams.

When they play each other they typically play in their 3rd jerseys which are usually traditional designs.

This would be a good idea for the NRL.

Any foundation clubs (or particular rivals like Eels vs Dogs) would play against each other in their "traditional" jersey, etc.

choc_soldier

Coach
Savage Panther said:
id like to see penrith in the 1991 style jerseys, insted of the dunny paper/skid mark one

Nah, bring back the brown! :lol:

I think the Penrith City retro jersey is one of the better selling ones... the Panthers would be CRAZY to pass up on opportunity to bring it out on the paddock again.

But whilst they trot out this "copyright" excuse, it's not going to happen. :roll:

Southernsaint

Staff member
parra_panther said:
Savage Panther said:

Nah, bring back the brown! :lol:

I think the Penrith City retro jersey is one of the better selling ones... the Panthers would be CRAZY to pass up on opportunity to bring it out on the paddock again.

But whilst they trot out this "copyright" excuse, it's not going to happen. :roll:

I believe that Saints are at loggerheads with Classic over a Retro Penfolds-era St George jersey, too. It probably has something to do with the use of the St George logo (as seen on my avatar)...

You can get a 1965 Throwback though, which is extremely popular judging by the number of them you see at Saints games.

Cheers,
Ben S.