What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Returning to the Gym - need some advice

Thomas

First Grade
Just remember that both MyFitnessPal and calculating your TDEE is basically guesswork. Everyone is different and you'll only know what's going on after some trial and error.

I was on a slow bulk (+200 calories a day) for about 3 months and saw massive gains in the gym. I'm now on a cut, a pretty drastic one, because I want to see how my body reacts and how much weight I can lose. I currently plateauing a bit but I'm still nailing my lifts and my volume. If I start to drop my strength, I'll eat a little more.

I'm currently on 1800 a day. Boo.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
If I eat the required calories of 3600 does it make a difference in terms how I exercise and the level of resistance training? Or is that required level only for those that basically live in the gym lol

shaggs

Coach
I think you are better off having a higher fat content than carbs. Energy levels are more plateaued throughout the day. I always feel lighter and more energetic with a higher fat content. Salmon, Avocado, Udo's 369 oil, almonds etc.

With protein 2grams per every pound of bodyweight is the formula i use. So for you at 200 pounds you would need 400grams a day. Since you trying to lose a few kgs 360 grams of protein is a good start point.

Switch out the potatoes for sweet potato and you can use basmati rice instead of brown every now and then. Almost identical nutritionally. Black rice is another alternative, if you can cook it right.

My maintenance calories to maintain 85kg is around 35-3600. Last bulk i had a minimum of 4200 every day. Easy on the refeed/cheat days. Not so much on clean foods.

Also depending on thje times you train, maybe think about eating your carbs either side of your weights session.

Good luck.

Thomas

First Grade
I think you are better off having a higher fat content than carbs. Energy levels are more plateaued throughout the day. I always feel lighter and more energetic with a higher fat content. Salmon, Avocado, Udo's 369 oil, almonds etc.

With protein 2grams per every pound of bodyweight is the formula i use. So for you at 200 pounds you would need 400grams a day. Since you trying to lose a few kgs 360 grams of protein is a good start point.

Switch out the potatoes for sweet potato and you can use basmati rice instead of brown every now and then. Almost identical nutritionally. Black rice is another alternative, if you can cook it right.

My maintenance calories to maintain 85kg is around 35-3600. Last bulk i had a minimum of 4200 every day. Easy on the refeed/cheat days. Not so much on clean foods.

Also depending on thje times you train, maybe think about eating your carbs either side of your weights session.

Good luck.

God. 4200 calories of clean eating. Jesus. That's a lot of chewing.

shaggs

Coach
God. 4200 calories of clean eating. Jesus. That's a lot of chewing.

You're telling me. Nothing stirs your enthusiasm for life like chewing 50g of almonds and 200grams of cottage cheese at 11pm every night. f**k that for a joke.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Those rules are based on lbs not kgs, I think

Nah they were based on Kgs in the article I linked.

*edit* Actually the 0.85 rule I was talking about came from a Victorian health website so that was definitely Kg. Nowhere near enough to build muscle on though. 1.4 per Kg sounds about right to me, I think a lot of people over do it with protein intake.

Last edited:

Frankus

Juniors
Ive been keen to return to the gym and decided to return approximately two weeks ago. The goal is to lower my body fat and add some muscle mass.

The program I am doing is:

Bench Press 12 reps x 3 sets.
Incline Bench Press 12 reps x 3 sets.
Lat Pulldowns 12 reps x 3 sets.
Weighted Rows 12 reps x 3 sets.
Squats/Leg Presses 12 reps x 3 sets
Lunges 12 reps (each leg) x 3 sets.
Shoulder Press 12 reps x 3 sets.

I am also adding two exercises for (each) biceps and triceps.

The above program would be completed every second day, with a cardio day (HIIT) during the rest day.

The question I have, is this program going to work - ie: is the rest period sufficient between lifts, as an example a weight day on Monday and then Cardio on Tuesday and then back to weights on Wednesday?

I would be completing this program for approximately six weeks.

Should I be taking any supplements to lower the body fat, or should the cardio be enough along with the diet. Also with the amount of cardio, I am worried that I would be burning too much muscle.

Should I continue with this program?

Mate, good work on getting back into the gym. Well done, and hopefully you can achieve your goals.

To be honest, I think you need to break up your sessions. My advice would be as follows:

Your body needs more rest than 1 day between repeating the same session and muscles being targeted considering you are in the 8/10/12 reps for muscle building.

I would break it up using an agonist/antagonist split, i.e. first session chest and back second session (arms) bi's and tri's, third set (shoulders) delts and traps. Abs and core workout can be done at the same time as any of these sets.

Legs should be attached to either the 2nd or 3rd session, not the 1st due to body fuel depletion, or even give them a day for themselves.

You can do the HIIT inbetween days. Make sure you have 1 full rest day per week.

Also your body gets used to a workout in only 5 weeks time, so repeating the same repetitions, etc will see a dropoff in results and gains. Try to mix up the exercises/tempo/reps or rest to something new every 6 weeks. And after 3 cycles (15-18 weeks) you should try doing something completely different - heavy endurance or power lifting for e.g.

In terms of protein powder intake, aim for 22-25g of protein powder intake within 45 minutes of your workout. Your choice on the type but I recommend hydrolysed whey protein. You can take another 22-25g before bed too, but that is totally optional. Pre-workouts, etc in my opinion, don't waste you money. For breakfast I recommend a balanced muesli consisting of oats and dried fruits (or porridge). Tuna and ham are good on wholewheat bread for lunches. Fruit or a smoothie are good snacks throughout the day. Muesli bars can be ok as well but just watch the sugar intake. Chicken salad for dinner (personally I f**king hate rice).

Sorry this is a little rushed. Hope this advice helps.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Thanks mate, appreciate the advice.

I am starting to struggle with the diet side of things, I can never meet both carbs and protein whilst remaining under my 3k calorie intake. I am about 100 off my protein intake for the day, so I plan to have a late night protein shake, with milk for the extra calories and protein.

Honestly guys I really appreciate everything that has been provided thus far, I never realized how little I knew about muscle gain lol.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Thanks mate, appreciate the advice.

I am starting to struggle with the diet side of things, I can never meet both carbs and protein whilst remaining under my 3k calorie intake. I am about 100 off my protein intake for the day, so I plan to have a late night protein shake, with milk for the extra calories and protein.

Honestly guys I really appreciate everything that has been provided thus far, I never realized how little I knew about muscle gain lol.

There's so many different theories out there that it's worth just reading up on everything and working out what works best for you.

There's also a lot of bullsh*t out there too lol

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Hey guys so a little update,

Ive noticed that my strength and lifting has improved significantly for the first few exercises, however, when I get to shoulders and legs..Ive got nothing in the tank.

I will do as a few of you have recommended and perform split workouts.

Walt, In regards to the below split, what specific exercises do you perform and the reps?

Day 1 - Chest and Triceps
Day 2 - Shoulders
Day 3 - Back and Bicpes
Day 4 - Legs (never skip leg day)

In regards to the calories, Ive been constantly meeting both protein and carbs. You guys were quite right, after a few days I sort of had an idea on what was required lol.

I have a 1000 calorie drink after workouts, 2 spoons whey protein powder, 450ml full cream milk, 2 bananas, 4 strawberries, ice, some oats and blend that bad boy. If I am on the daring side, I add a dab of honey lol.

timka4

Bench
A question. I'm doing the exact same program as what you're doing right now. I've swapped triceps and biceps, because using triceps with chest is inevitable and I find after chest my triceps are burnt (or fatigued) by the time I start. Same as biceps with back exercises.
Is it smart to swap them like I have so that I have more energy when it comes to the tricep/bicep?

Currently
Chest/Bicep
Back/Tricep

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The point of having triceps on the same day as chest is to fatigue them and make it harder. Also gives them a long recovery period which is important.

timka4

Bench
Yeah I thought that. But what if you can't progress your triceps/biceps because you keep progressing chest and back?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Triceps can take a pretty big beating I find. I work them twice a week on top of them being used in other lifts. They are like the bodies terminators.

Essentially I pair them off with chest and shoulders.

Latest posts