What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revenue for NRL Clubs (2018-2021)

Pneuma

First Grade
Except Auckland is a near rival and can put islander kids in. Instead of putting east coast kids in west. Hoping that they like it
A new negative? Congrats. Keep it going. I’ll be by your side the whole way Mr Negative!

MugaB

Coach
A new negative? Congrats. Keep it going. I’ll be by your side the whole way Mr Negative!
He is right tho, whats easier for the NRL to implement? A side in NZ, with its own juniors, or a WA team that will need 5 years of growth before any local WA talent sprouts from within... but in those 5 years the other 17 clubs lose players to the perth team, 30 if there's no club there and starting from scratch, and then it will probably happen 1-2times over in the space of that 5 seasons

Wb1234

Referee
He is right tho, whats easier for the NRL to implement? A side in NZ, with its own juniors, or a WA team that will need 5 years of growth before any local WA talent sprouts from within... but in those 5 years the other 17 clubs lose players to the perth team, 30 if there's no club there and starting from scratch, and then it will probably happen 1-2times over in the space of that 5 seasons
Juniors … nz wins
Paying tv deal … nz wins
International development of rugby league … nz wins

Perth doesn’t even come close

Pneuma

First Grade
Oh no. 17 clubs aren’t going to be able to access 30 players? Oh the poor darlings. That’s less than 1.8 players each. Goodness me. What a catastrophe. And what’s worse they are going to have to catch aeroplanes to Perth to play. This is insidious. I love this forum. It’s hilarious. Every comment here by naysayers lays bare why the game is so far behind its main competitor.

siv

First Grade
Said list

View attachment 70032

I did mention that in my post (with being represented multiple times on various clubs social media).

In terms of following other clubs, the sponsors using this data for ad reach wouldn't really care as you are still likely to receive the ad or sponsored post.
And by that graph its is clear that the extroplation algorithm has a issue when compairing different metro areas

MugaB

Coach
Oh no. 17 clubs aren’t going to be able to access 30 players? Oh the poor darlings. That’s less than 1.8 players each. Goodness me. What a catastrophe. And what’s worse they are going to have to catch aeroplanes to Perth to play. This is insidious. I love this forum. It’s hilarious. Every comment here by naysayers lays bare why the game is so far behind its main competitor.
Im not against a perth team, just sayin, whats easier for the NRL to implement, what will give them instant success, regarding increasing the player pool, and btw your sounding a lot like PR these days, your posts have never been this negative, especially after reading the affiliated states story you posted...

Canard

Immortal

Why would a NZ2 suddenly generate surplus juniors for the NRL?

And if they exist, why aren't NRL clubs investing in them now?

MugaB

Coach

They probably are/were prior to covid, or tried to with Gus helping setup up Aucklands pathways, whether or not they are no.18, its inevitable that nz gets a 2nd side, aswell as perth getring a team, its just about where else are we keen on to branch out to

Pneuma

First Grade
Im not against a perth team, just sayin, whats easier for the NRL to implement, what will give them instant success, regarding increasing the player pool, and btw your sounding a lot like PR these days, your posts have never been this negative, especially after reading the affiliated states story you posted...
To be frank I really don’t care what any of you think. My view is simple. Keep all current clubs unless they fall or choose a new market to exist. The former is highly unlikely the latter less so. Create new markets and grow the game. I’d choose Perth first but nz wouldn’t worry me. That’s pretty much it. Interestingly my posts seem only to upset posters from Sydney who refuse to consider Perth an option. They pretend otherwise but it’s obviously bullshit. WB is the worst. In the meantime I DGAF what you think. As for my Tassie experience, I’m a great listener. For years id wondered why the game had stuck to such a limited market. Three NRL meetings in Sydney and it all became clear.

Pneuma

First Grade

Player pool in NZ is in decline. We’ve got some hard work to do over there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A side that generates most revenue for nrl, has a rich state govt backing and is financially sustainable with a decent sized fanbase and a decent stadium from day1.
Finding jnrs is a hell of a lot easier than finding those things for a Wellington team.

Perth Red

Post Whore

It’s almost like some people think that Australian nrl clubs will stop scouting and being an attractive choice or nz jnrs if a second team comes in lol. It’s not like the warriors have shown that to be the case is it?
Theres more RL clubs in WA than in the christchurch region

Colk

First Grade
So Melbourne produce more juniors than Townsville ?

They don’t. But they are both important to the competition.

For example does having a team from Townsville generate more money for the competition than having a team from Melbourne.

Having teams from regional centres is great. I follow Canberra and having teams from Townsville and Newcastle is fantastic for the competition. Nevertheless you also have to have teams from big areas because that is how you generate TV and corporate dollars.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A look at how club central funding has increased in last 3 tv deal periods

2013 Club grant $5.85mill + $1.15mill with strings attached (around digital assets, signage around grounds, community investment.) Grant $7million. Salary Cap $7million.

2018 Club Grant 130% above salary cap. $13million +$1.5million one off bonus. No strings attached. Salary cap $10million.

2023 Club grant $5mill over salary cap (142% of cap) . Expected grant $17.1million. Salary cap $12.1million (possibly higher grant to cover costs of NRLW sides for those clubs running them, its a bit unclear on where NRLW costs are sitting at moment). ?strings attached around reserve grade.

Overall club payments are going to cost NRL approx $82.7million a year more (maybe even more depending on NRLW payments) in 2023-2027 than in 2018-. At the same time total NRL revenue has only gone up $79.5million from 2018 to what has been predicted for 2023. Hmmmm?

Latest posts