What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Richardson at ease in last chance hotel

DE LIONCOURT

Juniors
By James MacSmith
January 18, 2004
The Sun-Herald

Raising the bar. . .Russell Richardson is combining publican duties with trying to resurrect his football career in Newcastle with the Knights.

Time is still on Russell Richardson's side, but the former Test footballer willingly concedes that 2004 represents his last chance to resurrect a badly faltering career.

The 26-year-old announced his retirement at the end of last year, before being thrown a lifeline by the Knights, who signed him up to a one-year contract for this season, with a one-year option.

Richardson had bought a pub in Newcastle and was ready to settle into life as a publican before the Knights weighed in with their last-minute offer.

A 114-game veteran, Richardson was one of Souths' key signings upon their return to the NRL in 2002. However, the big centre struggled for form and played only 22 first-grade games in two years. He is hoping to make amends.

"What's happened in the past doesn't really worry me," he said. "I look back on the decision on going to Souths and it's a little bit disappointing. But I've got another chance with the Knights now, and it will probably be the last chance I get so I'm determined to make the most of it.

"The club has been good to me, and they're a good bunch of blokes, so I'm keen to repay them."

Richardson made his first-grade debut with Cronulla at age 18 in 1996, and was soon being touted by some as the next Andrew Ettingshausen. He played two Super League Tests in 1997 and one Test for Australia in 1999, but his career has been largely punctuated by disappointments ever since.

"There have been a lot of highs and lows, but it's the same for a lot of sportsmen," he said. "I'm happy with who I am and what I'm doing. It doesn't really worry me what other people say or think. Footy has given me a lot in life - without it I wouldn't own this pub."

The former Shark and Rabbitoh bought the King Street Hotel in the centre of Newcastle with a view to life beyond football. He's sworn off beer for the pre-season and said despite all the down times he has never lost confidence in his ability.

"Because of what's happened I guess I'm more a publican than a footballer, but I've always believed I could play football," he said. "I've just struggled with consistency and that's something I'm looking to correct this year. "

Newcastle coach Michael Hagan has said Richardson will be given every chance to press for a first-grade spot for the Knights' opening game, against premiers Penrith. However, Richardson admits there are some quality players ahead of him who have already proved their worth, including Timana Tahu, Matthew Gidley and Mark Hughes.

"My main aim this year is to cement a first-grade spot, and I think I'm capable of doing that," he said. "They've had a quality back line for a number of years now, but I still think I have something to offer. But whatever happens I know I'll be having a go."

Football Crazy

Juniors
DE LIONCOURT said:
By James MacSmith
January 18, 2004
The Sun-Herald

Raising the bar. . .Russell Richardson is combining publican duties with trying to resurrect his football career in Newcastle with the Knights.

"Because of what's happened I guess I'm more a publican than a footballer, but I've always believed I could play football," he said. "I've just struggled with consistency and that's something I'm looking to correct this year. "

Newcastle coach Michael Hagan has said Richardson will be given every chance to press for a first-grade spot for the Knights' opening game, against premiers Penrith. However, Richardson admits there are some quality players ahead of him who have already proved their worth, including Timana Tahu, Matthew Gidley and Mark Hughes.

"

Yeah as he admits - he is more a publican than a footballer - Just like Jarrod McZCracken is now too... All washed up from the football days - If he couldnt make 1st grade at Souths BEFORE he was a publican - now he IS a full time publican how will he make first grade at the Knights - who are a slightly better team than Souths - or at least they were last year :lol:

Alex28

Coach
slightly better than souths...must have been watching a different game to the rest of us tiger ;)

Alex28

Coach
what about the game they had against the "slighty better than souths" knights in brisbane...

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
He does come across like he's not taking it seriously when it comes to the knights.

But I know for a fact that he is keen. He's really keen for a grand final ring. He's said that he doesn't have to play as he's enjoying running his buisness. But he wants to play and he's wanting to do well.

When he started with souths he was playing with an injured knee. But that's come good. Before he came to newcastle, his buisness was losing money and that was effecting his on field performances as it was playing on his mind alot.

Expect Russ to Have a big year.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Good read, and I'm expecting Richardson to really step up and do something good this year. We've all see that he had the talent, and there are very few places better for finding a rep career than on a side that has Joey Johns.

With Hughes out for a while, Richardson could earn himself a starting berth earlier than he thought. As Hagan says, he's got some time to prove himself now.

Chris

Latest posts