What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rick Stone

transporter

Juniors
HE is an unknown who has stood in the shadows at Newcastle behind Michael Hagan and Brian Smith for four years. But this is the man ready to step into the light and coach the mighty Newcastle Knights.

Rick Stone, Newcastle's assistant coach, has the support of the players and is good mates with Knights legend and club director Paul Harragon. Although untried at NRL level, Stone said he was ready to step-up and take on one of the plum jobs in rugby league.
The Daily Telegraph understands Newcastle want to name a replacement for Roosters-bound Brian Smith by the end of August.
Stone joins a number of other high-profile contenders including Matthew Johns, David Fairleigh, Steve Folkes and Shane Flanagan.
Stone is the brother of former Canberra player Steve.
"I'm ready to step into the top role and be comfortable," he said.
"I have a good relationship with the Newcastle players and I think my man-management skills are good.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related Coverage

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"I think players are comfortable with me and they understand quickly what point I'm trying to get across.
"Hopefully I am also a coach the players want to play under.
"If they aren't looking for someone with NRL experience - then I am confident I could be a success if given the job."
Stone, 42, coached the Burleigh Bears for 10 years in the Queensland Cup. He had a winning success rate of 80 per cent, reaching four grand finals and missing the finals just once.
Stone also played for Lakes United in the local Newcastle competition before three seasons with Souths in Sydney in 1988, 1989 and 1990. He then captain-coached Nambucca Heads in 1992-93 before moving into the Queensland Cup. Asked what his strength was, Stone said: "The biggest ally I have is that I believe in the processes and structure that Brian has put into place.
"The players believe in them too.
"I think I could keep that going and keep those structures in place.
"Working with Michael Hagan and Brian Smith has put the finishing touches on my coaching career.
"I am inexperienced at NRL level but I have a wealth of experience when it comes to coaching. It's a matter of what the club wants."
Hagan, meanwhile, gave Stone a huge wrap, adding that he had "plenty of knowledge and has served a good apprenticeship"

BG

Juniors
Hopefully, the fact that he is favourite to take over will help stabilise the rest of this year. The players will know that they are quite likely already playing under their 2010 coach, albeit as assistant coach at present.

IanG

Coach
Well I'm hearing he is at unbackable odds to get the job. Plus I heard somewhere else that he was being groomed to be a replacement for Brian Smith and to oust him.

Well I'm hearing he is at unbackable odds to get the job. Plus I heard somewhere else that he was being groomed to be a replacement for Brian Smith and to oust him.
Maybe Ian. The more I hear about Maguire though suggests to me Stone may get pipped at the post. Happy to give Stone a go though. As long as he is not Ivan Henjak like. What has henjak done to that mighty club up there? They are woeful right now.