What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Ponting VS Steven Smith: Whose Purple Patch Was Better?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I was inspired by a Reddit thread I saw, and I wanted to stimulate debate here:

Ricky Ponting from 2002-2006

57 matches
99 innings
Average of 72.25
6,141 runs
24 centuries
21 fifties

Steven Smith 2013-2019

56 matches
100 innings
Average of 73.52
6,250 runs
26 centuries
21 fifties

Imo, Smith gets the nod; he missed plenty of time on the pitch, and is still putting up insane numbers.

But Punter was a brilliant cricketer, and his numbers are absolutely legendary.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Punter had great players all around him during that period, Smith has had Warner in Aus and absolute plod otherwise. As good as Ponting was in that period and as great as he was to watch in full flight Smith gets the nod. Quite easily, there was quite a bit of plod around that era look at Hayden also belting some pretty ordinary attacks around that time as well.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Punter had great players all around him during that period, Smith has had Warner in Aus and absolute plod otherwise. As good as Ponting was in that period and as great as he was to watch in full flight Smith gets the nod. Quite easily, there was quite a bit of plod around that era look at Hayden also belting some pretty ordinary attacks around that time as well.

this

Bazal

Post Whore

Plod?

Smith has had genuine handbrakes like The Anchor Wade...

Eelementary

Post Whore

Not arguing - Punter played with some absolutely brilliant players -, but none of Punter's teammates could boast the record that Punter himself boasted.

I agree with you - Smith has dominated attacks all over the globe, while Punter (as brilliant as he was) struggled in India, and the subcontinent in general.

I never actually realised just how dominant Ponting was in that period.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Not arguing - Punter played with some absolutely brilliant players -, but none of Punter's teammates could boast the record that Punter himself boasted.

I agree with you - Smith has dominated attacks all over the globe, while Punter (as brilliant as he was) struggled in India, and the subcontinent in general.

I never actually realised just how dominant Ponting was in that period.
I wonder what Steve Waugh's stats were like from 93-99??? I reckon he would of averaged in the 65-70 range as well.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder what Steve Waugh's stats were like from 93-99??? I reckon he would of averaged in the 65-70 range as well.

at one stage in the '89 series he averaged 175, think it was about the 3rd or 4th test mainly due to a few tons and not outs

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I would take Ricky Ponting against scary pace like Shoaib Akhtar/Alan Donald/Ambrose etc etc and Steve Smith against swing and spin

Smith.

Biggest reasons because he's done it with far less quality around and subsequently a lot more pressure. IMO he's done it again better quality attacks as well.

Ponting had greats all around him, and faced a lot of plodders in that period. Missed three out of four Tests in India and we won the series without him; in fact, we were probably better without him in the side. You would could never say that about Smith.

I always feel like Smith can get runs when the pressure is at its highest and conditions at its most difficult. When the whole team collapses around him, you feel he'll inevitably man up and dig us out. Rarely ever felt that with Punter.

If the question is who was more attractive to watch, then it's Ponting hands down.