What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart quits Parramatta Eels for Canberra Raiders job

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
. Parramatta great Peter Sterling claims Ricky Stuart owes it to the Eels faithful to explain how his brief tenure as coach has not represented a wasted 12 months for the NRL club.
Stuart this week announced he was walking out on the Eels just one year into a three-year deal, and has already begun negotiations on what is expected to be a three-year deal to be the new Canberra coach.
His hasty departure left a bitter taste in the mouths of many involved with the club who felt Stuart had abandoned a ship barely keeping afloat - and having helped punch a few more holes with his much-publicised mid-season clean-out.
Advertisement

Speaking on Triple M, Sterling admitted his disappointment with Stuart's decision to leave, calling on the premiership-winning coach and player to give some justification for what he achieved while at the Eels.
"I'd like Ricky to come out and say why it hasn't been a wasted 12 months for the club and for the players and for the fans," Sterling said.
"...Ricky came, it was going to be a rehabilitation job on Parramatta which is desperately needed and this was the first (year) of a longer-term process.
"For that to finish under his watch after 12 months is extremely disappointing because I think we have to start again.
"Someone else to come in, they'll have their own ideas, their own aims - that's pretty tough."
While refusing to give his backing to any one candidate to take on the role, Sterling does believe Neil Henry had the capability to turn the club around.
A thin playing roster would greet any new coach - with former Parramatta coach and current Sydney Roosters assistant Jason Taylor another contender for the role - but Sterling said the biggest area of work was mental rather than physical.
And he believes Stuart's aborted mission may not have done the playing roster he leaves behind any favours.
"We need to work on the culture at the club ... we need a culture that is a winning one," Sterling said.
"I like Ricky Stuart, but to walk away from a contract, isn't a great lesson for the players there as to what culture we need to establish."

http://m.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/stuart-owes-eels-explanation-sterling-20130913-2tqfk.html

Gee it would be good to have sterlo on the board

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
. Sterling also raised the issue about the supposed breakdown between Stuart and the Parramatta board.

“We keep hearing about this dysfunctional board. Are they? I don’t know. I’m wondering what Ricky didn’t get that he wanted under the board,” Sterling asked.
“I’d like to hear that as well.

"If it is dysfunctional up top, where did that filter down in a detrimental way through to the coaching and the playing staff?”

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/nrl...d-peter-sterling/story-fndv34of-1226718847843

Very well said

IFR33K

Coach
RS only used the board as an excuse when the raiders rumour surfaced.

The board wasn't an issue prior to that. A merkin of the highest order.

Forty20

First Grade
Ricky Stuart is set to rub shoulders with players and staff at the club he is taking over on Monday, but one man that will not remain in Canberra is interim head coach Andrew Dunemann, who was sacked last night.

The Raiders assistant, who took the reins after David Furner was sacked last month, was an aspirant for the top job that Stuart landed and was the preferred choice of the players.

Disappointed to be overlooked, it emerged on Friday that Dunemann would not be hanging around for the beginning of the Stuart era, instead set to be granted a payout for the remainder of his contract. It’s understood the Raiders board was split down the middle about whether to appoint Dunemann or Stuart, with the three-time Raiders premiership winner eventually given the nod.

Stuart confirmed assistant Dean Pay would leave Parramatta to join him in Canberra next season, while Stuart also plans to lure NSW Origin assistant Matt Parrish from the Eels – a move that would impact on the status of another Raiders assistant, Brett Kimmorley.

Kimmorley told Fairfax Media on Friday he wanted to stay at the Raiders for the remaining year of his contract. But the former Test halfback has a fractured history with Stuart. For there to be any chance of a working relationship, they would need to properly bury the hatchet from a bitter feud that led Stuart to publicly slam his former charge during the twilight of Kimmorley’s playing career at Canterbury in 2009.

As coach of the NSW State of Origin team in 2005 – the last year the Blues won a series – Stuart axed Kimmorley after his first game in control, having lost to Queensland on the back of an intercept pass thrown by the No.7 that landed in the hands of the Maroons’ Matt Bowen.

‘‘It’s no secret my problems with Brett Kimmorley go back to when I dropped him in Origin in 2005,’’ Stuart wrote in a newspaper column four years ago titled ‘Why I sacked Kimmorley’. ‘‘He threw an intercept pass, we lost the game, and I dropped him.’’

Stuart later turned up as coach of the Sharks, where he re-signed Kimmorley then later cut him.
‘‘I learned then [in 2005] that Kimmorley was not a big-match player – not the kind who can get you over the line in big games ... And I knew that when I later moved to Cronulla. We tried our best to work together, but it didn’t work,’’ Stuart wrote in the column. ‘‘That’s why my board clapped the night I told them I had released Kimmorley.’’

Now in retirement, and with aspirations of becoming a head coach himself down the track, Kimmorley might have thought he would not have to cross paths with Stuart again, let alone be taking orders from his old coach. ‘‘I’m looking forward to fulfilling the two years I signed for,’’ said Kimmorley. ‘‘I’m not going to go into any relationship with Ricky and myself.’’

Another issue is winning over the support of several squad members who are believed to be anything but impressed at Stuart’s appointment. Representative prop David Shillington also had issues with Stuart when he played under him at the Roosters but denied he wanted out because of the new coach. ‘‘It wasn’t the best time [at the Roosters], but it’s not like I hate the bloke or anything.’’

Clicky

First section in bold confirms that Dean Pay is no longer with the club and that Matt Parish is next on the list. Both things that I think we all pretty took as done deals or the next closest thing.

The second bit is a bit more humourous as a disgruntled Parra fan. I know it is paper-talk but if there is anything to it, have fun convincing them you merkin. :lol:

TheRam

Coach
I just hope John Quayle is appointed as the administrator of the board of our club and all else will be sorted.

RS only used the board as an excuse when the raiders rumour surfaced.

The board wasn't an issue prior to that. A merkin of the highest order.

To be fair to the merkin, there was the issue of the proposal to bring in BS and (possibly) JT to conduct a review of his coaching structure. That is the one thing that he could rightfully be pissed off with, but that's not on the scale of his own lack of integrity. But what do we expect when we hire a guy with his history of failure to accept responsibility, the Ashley Klein incident? Well we found out on day 1.....the bloke agrees to a contract and is then surprised about the state of the roster.....sets up his excuses from day one.

IFR33K

Coach
To be fair to the merkin, there was the issue of the proposal to bring in BS and (possibly) JT to conduct a review of his coaching structure. That is the one thing that he could rightfully be pissed off with, but that's not on the scale of his own lack of integrity. But what do we expect when we hire a guy with his history of failure to accept responsibility, the Ashley Klein incident? Well we found out on day 1.....the bloke agrees to a contract and is then surprised about the state of the roster.....sets up his excuses from day one.

The guy is full of excuses and shit.

We never heard him rant about about the board previously. Why now?

The board, the roster, the refs blahblahblah.

My personal favourite is his daughter. He's going back to canberra because of her.

Hello Ricky, you quit the sharks in 2010, yet remained in the shire all this time until you picked up the eels gig end of 2012.

If you were so concerned about your daughter, why didn't u head to Canberra in 2010 or 2011.

f**king pea hearted merkin. We need a coach and players that want to be here, not use us until a better option comes along.

spiderdan

Bench
Well you wouldn't want to confuse an ET (shovel thing) with an ET (little alien dude) with an ET (Pretty boy Sharks player who roots his mates mrs). Maybe that's why they said tool on the end of it
would be easier just to call it a shovel.

Avenger

Immortal
Thanks god there were clauses in his contract and we finally got rid of him without paying him out. As long as we don't lose any players it will be a clean break. I'm not angry about him leaving as everyone knows I wanted to sack him months ago and always suspected he was a poor coach. It was the fact that he was always in denial and thought he knew everything that annoyed me. He was also a liar. A simple google search reveals all the history and feuds that this idiot had. He is universally hated yet he justifies himself every time . He has very similar traits to Kevin Rudd. Simply a classic narcissist.

Last edited:

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I like Ricky. He's a good guy.

In saying that, if we can keep all our signings, we have a pretty good squad for whoever takes over.

Loudstrat

Coach
Ivan Milat was apparently a nice bloke as well.

Sterlo has said it better than anyone in the media. Where did he improve the club? The guy is a quitter and has no balls. He can do all the tough decisions simply because he is an up himself merkin, but lacks the courage to see it through. He doesnt form relationships with the players it seems.

I just have this comforting image in my head where the words "Fui, Im going to coach the Raiders" translates into Togan as "I took a dump in your mother's handbag", and Fui beats the living sh*t out of him.

TheRam

Coach
Thanks god there were clauses in his contract and we finally got rid of him without paying him out. As long as we don't lose any players it will be a clean break. I'm not angry about him leaving as everyone knows I wanted to sack him months ago and always suspected he was a poor coach. It was the fact that he was always in denial and thought he knew everything that annoyed me. He was also a liar. A simple google search reveals all the history and feuds that this idiot had. He is universally hated yet he justifies himself every time . He has very similar traits to Kevin Rudd. Simply a classic narcissist.

Do you remember that rant(hit piece) about 5-6 years ago that Phil Gould wrote about him, or was it on the roast, I can't remember now and how an ungrateful an arse he was? Spot on.

Latest posts