What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Williams Retires From NFL

kurt faulk

Coach

that's right, ricky williams from the dolphins has informed the team he will retire from the nfl.

what a kick in the guts for the dolphins who gave up two first rounders for this guy. two years later he says see you later.

Dolphins | Williams Says - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 01:04:46 -0700

Updating previous reports, Jason Cole and Dan Le Batard, of the Miami Herald, report Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams plans to file his retirement papers with the NFL on Monday, July 26, or Tuesday, July 27. Williams met with head coach Dave Wannstedt Friday, July 24, and Wannstedt tried to talk him into staying. Williams, however, has no interest in it and said there is "no" chance of him changing his mind. Wannstedt refused to comment on the situation or the conversation, but Williams said he was "hurt" by their talks. Williams said his failed marijuana tests had a minor influence on making the decision, but it was just one of many factors and it didn't cause him to retire as much as it reinforced his reasons for doing so. Williams boarded a plane to Asia where he plans to do several months of traveling. Beyond that, he said he does not know what he's going to do, but said it's going to be "fun".

kurt faulk

Coach

btw, i wonder if eddie george rues not waiting a couple of more days before signing with cowboys. the grass in miami is softer than the concrete in dallas.

Paullyboy

Coach
Wow!

really didnt see this coming, I knew that Ricky W was in Australia not long ago on a tour-the-world mission or something - looks like he is gonna become a professional backpaker now!

Steeden

Juniors
Yeah, this is a pretty sad day for the game. His numbers were a little down last year from his awesome '02 season, so it was possibly a long time coming...

Did get a tip that Marshall Faulk might be the next to go...but i guess we'll see about that one...

half

Coach
he's such a jamie lyon wannabe

can't disrespect the guy for retiring and following his heart, but it's pathetic timing

Eelectrica

Referee
WTF! Is this some kind of sick joke?

I'm a jinx, any team I follow seems to have the unhappy knack of self destruction when things finally seem to be coming together.

Fin077

Juniors
As a long time "Fin Fan" and a fan of the game in general July / August normally brings for me alot of excitement and optimsm about the upcoming NFL season.

This year however, I'm not so excited and not one bit optimistic about the chances of the team I've loved for just under 15 years!

It started well with our favorite son Dan Marino returning to an official position with the club......only for him to resign 22 days later!

Now we have our best TE in trouble with the law, our pro bowl linebacker Zach Thomas with a knee injury in addition to an ageing QB and one who was a 3rd string bench warmer in Philly who the club chased vigourously to sign!!

And after all that..........the man who the majority of our hopes rested with decides he's had enough.

Not that I'm bitter....Just very, very disappointed.

Good luck with your teaching plans Ricky and thanks for the memories.

GO FINS! :? :)

BuffaloRules

Coach
Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Now, if Tom (Marcia) Brady does likewise then the Bills are AFC East champs this year!! :mrgreen:

Cupid Stunt

Fin077 said:
an ageing QB and one who was a 3rd string bench warmer in Philly who the club chased vigourously to sign!!

Actually they are both ex-Philly bench warmers, but A.J is a future buy. I still think he could produce now but he is a QB for the future. A few things I've read though suggest that he may get the nod early on as he is the better passer of the two. He stood up when we needed him last year & was more than a fill in. He doesnt panic in the pocket & has good vision downfield.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear "Feeley to Chambers" a hell of alot this season. That guy is way under used at Miami, no matter how short or young he is the guy is all class.

kurt faulk said:

btw, i wonder if eddie george rues not waiting a couple of more days before signing with cowboys. the grass in miami is softer than the concrete in dallas.

I'm sure the Dolphins wish he'd waited too. Or that Ricky had announced earlier, when George was still available.

Eelectrica

Referee
Apart from Ricky being a junky, the parrallels between Lyon and Williams are amazing.
- No sooner does Lyon retire when he wants back in to be re-united with Cleal
- Williams retires, then wants to re-unite with Norv turner.
- Both retire at the worst possible time for their teams.

And Apparently Ricky visited Australia during the off season, wonder if he read in the papers about Lyon and thought "Gee what a great idea, why didn't I think of that #-o "

Latest posts