What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Riddell a hooker?

Roosterphin

Juniors
The more and more I watch him the less and less I think he is a hooker. Slow service and unable to scoot from dummyhalf. Would be a fine backrower though and I agree with people on here that have him on the bench.

I think you guys should play Withers at hooker?

Also I think you have a mighty fine team on paper...possibly the best halves combo in the comp

Roosterphin said:
The more and more I watch him the less and less I think he is a hooker. Slow service and unable to scoot from dummyhalf. Would be a fine backrower though and I agree with people on here that have him on the bench.

Also I think you have a mighty fine team on paper...possibly the best halves combo in the comp

NOt sure Mark's overall fitness would suit a move to the backrow. These days backrowers are like slower centres and have an enormous workrate. I think Riddell goes alright at hooker.

Simon

Juniors
I think he's up there with the best hookers in the comp. Close to the line out of dummy half he's almost unstoppable. However I think he'll be used at hooker as well as the back row this year. The back row when Withers or Gorrell come on.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Roosterphin said:

I think your spot on Phin, I have been saying it for a while. He plays like Tallis, but from a standing start out at hooker.

If he plays in the backrow, and runs onto the ball, he could be devastating. ALso he wastes too much energy chasing the play as a hooker.

Godz Illa

Coach
Roosterphin said:

I disagree. I think his service is fine, and his runs from dummy half are always timely and damgaging. He also offers a pretty decent kicking game, which is quite a useful tool for a dummy half to have.
Withers didn't impress me the other night. He threw one or two poor passes and he tends to rise with the ball from dummy half instead of just shooting it straight out off the ground.

Anonymous

Juniors
Riddell is a great runner from dummy half. He oftens steps past / bounces off the marker defence and runs 15-20 metres.

He scored plenty of tries from close range last year by barging over... some from a tap re-start but loads from dummy half. I don't know how he managed to get through sometimes but he did. Its one of his greatest assets.

As George Illa pointed out, Riddell is also very handy kicker on the last play, kicking from dummy half and putting the chasers on-side.

I've got no problem to Riddell being tried in the back row if the match called for it but currently, I can't see any reason to fiddle with his positioning.

Buzz Boy

Juniors
Riddell's dummy-half runs are one of the Dragons main attacking weapons, moving him to the back row will take away this option as it'd be obvious what his intentions were if he then ducked into dummy half.

Tough decision facing the Dragons, considering Lincoln Withers is ideally suited for the hooking roll, and Aaron Gorrell is back on deck and in sparking form.

Nice problem to have.

:D

Roosterphin

Juniors
Cant agree. I think Ridell runs sideways and back alot from Dummy half. He is good close to the line but not quick enough in general play.

Latest posts