What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Cups King - Bart Cummings

Haffa

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-30/bart-cummings-dies-aged-87/6735292

Bart Cummings: Legendary Australian racehorse trainer dies aged 87
Legendary racehorse trainer Bart Cummings has died at the age of 87 surrounded by family at his homestead in north-western Sydney.

His grandson and training partner said Cummings died in his sleep in the early hours of Sunday morning.

"James Bartholomew Cummings OAM, passed away peacefully in his sleep in the early hours of this morning, Sunday the 30th of August 2015, in his homestead at Princes Farm, Castlereagh," James Cummings said in a statement.

"His final moments were spent with his family and wife of 61 years, Valmae, with whom he celebrated their anniversary on Friday.

"For Bart, aged 87, this was a fitting end. A husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather; a master trainer and a larger than life figure.

"We will miss you."

In a tweet, his son, Anthony Cummings said his father lived a full life.

Cummings had been in ill health for some time and rarely ventured from his farm in recent years.

In November last year, it was reported he was admitted to hospital with a chest infection.

The legendary trainer won the Melbourne Cup 12 times, earning him the nickname the "Cups King".

Born and raised in Adelaide, he took out his trainer's licence in 1953, utilising his father's stables.

He won his first Group 1 with Stormy Passage in the SAJC Derby in 1958 and has won nearly 7,000 races including 760 stakes races since.

In 1974, Cummings became the first trainer in the British Commonwealth to train the earners of more than $1 million in prize money.

He was made a member of the Order of Australia in 1982 for his services to the racing industry, and in 1991 was inducted into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame, and the Racing Hall of Fame in 2001.

Cummings was awarded the Centennial medal in 2000 and carried the Olympic torch down the Flemington Straight.

Haffa

RIP Legend. I'm sure you'll still watch your stables win a few more Cups from up there.

Those Saintly years were some of the most enjoyable for me. I love that horse as much as any football team.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Vale Bart, vale the great man :(. It's funny but i feel like a family member has passed away.

I'd always liked having a bet on the cup as a kid and watching the race but when Let's Elope bounded away with an effortless turn of foot to win the cup and me a decent wager i was in love with the sport of kings from the onwards. Racing won't be quite the same without the great man.

RIP Bart.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Just woke up to hear the news and still coming to terms with it. Obviously the great man had been sick for a long time however it's always still a massive shock when someone of his stature passes on.

I think the terms Legend and Icon are used far too often in Australian Sport, however Bart Cummings is the absolute embodiment of both those terms.

The Melbourne Cup is arguably the most famous sporting event in the country and Bart Cummings is always mentioned alongside it due to his freakish ability to win it. Even your average Joe Blow on the street who doesn't know the first thing about racing still all know Bart.

Sad day for this country however I'm sure the racing industry will celebrate his career and do him justice over the upcoming Spring Carnival, after all it was Bart's time of year!

GongPanther

Referee
Vale Bart Cummings.

Truly stands alongside all other great sporting heroes of Australia.

Ironically five days ago,I placed a futures bet on Precedence to win $2.5 k for this years cup.

Win lose or draw,if Precedence makes the final acceptances,Bart will be watching with great interest.