What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Don Furner Sr

mongoose

Coach
RIP, such an integral figure for the Raiders since their inception and also Rugby League.

nick87

Coach
Wonderful man, who contributed at a high level as a player, coach and administrator.
His impact on the game of RL in Canberra and his role in establishing the Raiders is immeasurable.

Condolences to the family and friends.

*Small note, it should be probably be in the threads title that this is Don Furner Senior, not to be confused with current CEO and son Don Furner Junior

horrie hastings

First Grade
He was a champion bloke, one of the most likeable persons in rugby league, coached Easts to a Grand Final in 1972.

RIP Don.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I went to watch those kangaroos tours in the 80’s, geez that was some team!
RIP and condolences to his family.

I know people don't like much of his stuff (and I can understand why) but following is a nice article by The Mole about the late Don Furner published on the Wide World of Sports website earlier today -

'I owe him so much': The golden legacy of Don Furner Senior
By The Mole
5 hours ago

IN a career spanning half a century in rugby league, only one man had a bad word to say about Don Furner, who died today, aged 87.

And that was the immortal Arthur Beetson - the one person to have a 'beef' with the former king of Canberra.

"Don almost killed me," the late, great Beetson told me many years ago.

"I switched from Balmain to Easts and I was a fat kid with potential.

"Don saw that potential and was determined to get me fit.

"He found the steepest set of steps I had ever seen - in Cooper Park in Bellevue Hill (in Sydney's east) and made me run up it every day.

"Sometimes for fun, he would jump on my back and I would have to carry him all the way up.

"I hated him for it at the time, but he gave me the kick in the bum I needed to become a good player.

"I owe him so much - he was a special man who cared about his players."

Beetson's words could be echoed by hundreds of players Furner coached down the years.

A fine player in his own right who played for Australia in the 1950s, he turned his hand to coaching after retirement and led Easts - and Beetson - to the 1972 grand final.

When Canberra entered the premiership in 1982, they appointed Furner as their inaugural coach.

After some almighty thumpings in their early days, he steered the Raiders to the grand final just five years later in 1987, taking on a young co-coach named Wayne Bennett.

Bennett moved to Brisbane the following year, using many of the traits Furner taught him to become one of the best coaches the game had seen.

Furner created a dynasty at the Raiders - son Dave won premierships and followed in his father's footsteps to both play for Australia and coach the Raiders, while other son Don junior is the club's chief executive.

Furner was a true old world gentleman in a different era in the game - and will be sorely missed.

taipan

Referee
A fine gentlemen,League coach and stalwart and administrator and well respected whenever his name was mentioned.
A great loss to our code.RIP

Latest posts