What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Kobe

skeepe

Immortal
Unconfirmed reports that his 4 daughters were on the helicopter with him. That’s f**king tragic.

betcats

Referee
His 13 yo daughter. Apperently on their way to her game, the others are another teammate of hers, her parent and the pilot.

betcats

Referee
Feels like someone you know, I spent so much time watching, talking about and trying to imitate the man.

Wizardman

First Grade
Im shattered. Shaq inspired me to follow the Lakers but Kobe Bryant became my favourite player. Winning was in the mans veins and was always an absolute force in the final quarter of games. Great memories of watching this guy take over on Saturday mornings/afternoons. RIP to the great man.

nöyd

Staff member
Kobe was the generation after mine, I was in high school when Jordan was king, but man, Kobe is easily in the argument for top 3 of all time, maybe even #1. Such a tragedy. Apparently Gianna was a savage on the court as much as her father was. RIP.

JJ

Immortal
Incredibly sad... one of the very best there’s ever been... and his daughter

Terrible

nöyd

Staff member
Fog/pilot error apparently is the best guess at this stage. LAPD choppers were grounded.
Yep, just read that early reports suggest the pilot circled in deteriorating conditions before taking it upon himself to continue the journey flying VFR (visual flight rules/regs), when in that type of weather it should have been IFR (instrument flight rules/regs).

Also read that it's possible the pilot was not sufficiently trained/rated to fly IFR, which sounds like a pilot you wouldn't want to get into an aircraft with.

axl rose

Bench
Yep, just read that early reports suggest the pilot circled in deteriorating conditions before taking it upon himself to continue the journey flying VFR (visual flight rules/regs), when in that type of weather it should have been IFR (instrument flight rules/regs).
Yes, that makes sense. This guy explains it pretty well.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm gutted - not just as a Lakers fan, but as a human being.

This is awful news, and Gianna being on the helicopter with him just makes the story so much more horrible.

Imo, Kobe was the GOAT - an absolute freak of nature.

May he, and his little girl, rest in peace, and my sincerest condolences to his family.

nöyd

Staff member
This is awful news, and Gianna being on the helicopter with him just makes the story so much more horrible.

That's the part that is hardest to take, yes it's sad that Kobe is gone, but a 13 year old girl has also lost her life before she basically even had one. Kobe fit more into his 41 years than 3 people that age.

Not to mention the other families that have lost loved ones. If the reports are true, it's no way for anyone to die, much less a worldwide revered sports star.