What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rising Rabbitohs star Kirisome Auva'a in court after bashing a woman after a wedding

Flapper

First Grade
So what if the courts take a season long suspension as "punishment enough", give him only a good behaviour bond and he can go on living? Is that what you guys would prefer?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Any reasonable person should be able to understand that the NRL had a duty to act once this turd had pleaded guilty to the crime he had been charged of. There was no need to wait until sentencing as it was irrelevant to the guilt of this arsewipe. Obviously Souths would not do anything as the club supports the physical abuse of women, however the NRL should have acted rather than letting this animal play out the season. It is a terrible look to allow this prick to play out the entire season.

You only have to look at a the way the NFL acted with regards to Adrian Peterson and barred him from playing until the matter was handled in court. The NRL should learn from this. Unfortunately the way they act is incredibly inconsistent. Blake Ferguson was immediately stood down after his assault, however this Auva'a scumbag was allowed to play on.
Whilst I agree with your sentiments, it's probably not the best idea to use the NFL as some sort of moral compass on the issue of domestic violence after the Ray Rice affair.

Danish

Referee
So what if the courts take a season long suspension as "punishment enough", give him only a good behaviour bond and he can go on living? Is that what you guys would prefer?

You do realise they did this without him actually receiving any punishment from the league to begin with?

The NRL is not responsible for what our useless justice system does. They should only be concerned with upholding their own code if conduct. We suspend players regularly who get caught drunk driving before they go to court, yet we can't suspend a player who pleads guilty to bashing a woman prior to sentencing?

BCH

Juniors

The court is still are obliged to apply the law as it stands.

By the way, the court did only give Auva'a a 2 year good behaviour bond - despite his good fortune of going on living and playing in a winning GF team.

Flapper

First Grade
You do realise they did this without him actually receiving any punishment from the league to begin with?

The NRL is not responsible for what our useless justice system does. They should only be concerned with upholding their own code if conduct. We suspend players regularly who get caught drunk driving before they go to court, yet we can't suspend a player who pleads guilty to bashing a woman prior to sentencing?

In theory he could've went to jail, rendering any deregistration punishment redundant. Cue people whinging about the NRL aren't actually punishing him at all now. The fact they waited means now they can come down like a ton of bricks without interfering with any judicial processes. You might not like the fact he got to play (neither do I really but I understand why they did what they did) but at least now I know he'll cop an appropriate punishment from the NRL.

No matter what the NRL does or did or will do they'll never win.

BCH

Juniors
In theory he could've went to jail, rendering any deregistration punishment redundant. Cue people whinging about the NRL aren't actually punishing him at all now. The fact they waited means now they can come down like a ton of bricks without interfering with any judicial processes. You might not like the fact he got to play (neither do I really but I understand why they did what they did) but at least now I know he'll cop an appropriate punishment from the NRL.

No matter what the NRL does or did or will do they'll never win.

No, and they won't until they deal with matters in a consistent and transparent fashion.

Flapper

First Grade
Was this the first issue of domestic violence dealt with by the Integrity Unit? Serious question, just want to know how/if they handled previous cases.

insert.pause

First Grade
NRL Code of Conduct:

Criminal Proceedings

46. (1) Where the breach of a provision of this Code involving a Player or a Club
Official has occurred, and the conduct constituting that breach is the subject of a
police investigation or criminal proceeding
, the Chief Executive Officer shall not
proceed against that Player or Club Official pursuant to Part 2 of the NRL Rules
until the conclusion of that investigation or proceeding, as the case may be,

unless the Chief Executive Officer forms the view, in his absolute discretion, that
it is appropriate to do so

(2) To remove any doubt:

(a) The purpose of sub-Rule (1) is to ensure, so far as possible, that any
criminal proceedings against a Player or Club Official are taken and
concluded before proceedings for the breach of a provision of this Code are
commenced;

(b) Nothing in sub-Rule (1) is intended to prevent the Chief Executive Officer
from investigating, causing to be investigated or proceeding against a Club
with respect to the breach of a provision of this Code by one of its Players
or Club Officials where the conduct constituting that breach is the subject of
a police investigation or criminal proceeding

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/NRL Code of Conduct 2012 (Final)-1.pdf

Nick Weeks said a lot of the details of the case only became available to the NRL after sentencing.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
I haven't read the entire thread and it may already have been brought up. But when James Tamou got done drink driving didn't the NRL fine and suspend him (he missed an origin game) the very next day? Well before he went to court I'd imagine.

As said the piece of scum pleaded guilty in January, it's a massive cop out to say they needed to wait to see what the courts decided.

Big Mick

Referee
I look forward to seeing Greg Inglis suspended then as well considering he got the exact same ruling and exact same fine from the legal system.

txta2

First Grade
About fkin time the heat is on the NRL about this.
Would expect dismissal from NRL until further notice.
Bye bye dickhead.

Usain Bolt

Bench
I haven't read the entire thread and it may already have been brought up. But when James Tamou got done drink driving didn't the NRL fine and suspend him (he missed an origin game) the very next day? Well before he went to court I'd imagine.

As said the piece of scum pleaded guilty in January, it's a massive cop out to say they needed to wait to see what the courts decided.

The NRL pick and choose when they apply the rules

Yoda

Juniors
I look forward to seeing Greg Inglis suspended then as well considering he got the exact same ruling and exact same fine from the legal system.

Is that 2 or 3 members of the GF winning team who have had incidents of violence against women??

Pride of the league.

themacemaceman

Juniors
You have nailed it. This makes the most sense. The Auva'a case went largely unnoticed because the South Sydney fairy tale became the NRL's primary objective. They likely told the media to keep quite during the season after the initial reports came out. To let this muppet run around just because of the soft legal system is a joke. Self confessed women bashers should not be allowed to run around. It defies common decency to think otherwise.

Another roosters conspiracy theorist.
As if the NRL can tell the media to keep quiet on publishing stories. if this was the case we would never have heard about Brett Stewart, Ben Barba, Ben Teo , Todd Carney, Blake Fergeson.... the list goes on.

Forever in our shadow.

pHyR3

Juniors
i heard about avaa MONTHS ago, im sure there are articles from early in the year.

its just that no one cared. in fact heres one from MAY. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...ing-in-melbourne/story-fni0fee2-1226934747767

its simply that you can't condemn someone until the court reaches its verdict. same with benji marshall when he was accused of assault on some bloke and it was clearly found to be made up.

now he's gone through that process and faces penalties from the NRL. but this measly 2k fine is pretty pathetic i must admit....

insert.pause

First Grade

There is a difference, Nick Weeks said today that the NRL only gained access to the details of Auvv'a's case once sentencing was concluded, how can they come up with an appropriate penalty without knowing exactly what the circumstances of the crime was, pleading guilty is one thing, but the NRL wouldn't have known exactly what he had pleaded guilty to until this week, whereas drink driving has an exact reading of how over the limit a player is, hence the NRL using its discretion under the code of conduct to penalise tamou before his court appearance. You can't treat every player under criminal proceeding equally when they all range in various complexity.

insert.pause

First Grade

How far do we go back, It's a completely different administration, judge them on decisions they actually made or didn't make.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
He got a $3k fine. He accepted responsibility. Had to complete a behavioural change program.

He didn't get a conviction on his record same as Auv'a.

Yes I know that.

But you said he got exactly the same ruling. He didn't as he did not plead guilty. He got a diversion order.

Don't get me wrong, I think that whole situation was a f*cking joke, but they were not treated the same by the courts is the point I am making.

As another post above says - that was outside the time of this current administration so they can hardly be blamed for that one. That was all the Galloping Goose. The same Goose who suspended players before they even got to step into a court let alone make a plea!

So if it has to be one way or the other, I'd rather they err to the side of caution every day.