What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RL independence day arrives - NRL Independent Commission announced

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nearly 17 years of conflict of interest and self serving decision making, one can only imagine what it has cost the game over the last two decades. Going to be interesting to see how the IC stamp their authority on the game and what decisions they make first. I'm also going to be really interested to see how the NSWRL,QRL, CRL,WARL,VRL etc fit into the IC's running of the game. We just need someone to buy the Storm , the thoroughbreds to kick News out of Brisbane and a new NRL CEO and we really will be free of News Ltd. influence.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Nearly 17 years of conflict of interest and self serving decision making, one can only imagine what it has cost the game over the last two decades. Going to be interesting to see how the IC stamp their authority on the game and what decisions they make first. I'm also going to be really interested to see how the NSWRL,QRL, CRL,WARL,VRL etc fit into the IC's running of the game. We just need someone to buy the Storm , the thoroughbreds to kick News out of Brisbane and a new NRL CEO and we really will be free of News Ltd. influence.

My guess is a few tantrums will be thrown as it all unfolds.

Grant is making all the right noises, i think we are in good hands

Smiley

Bench

The Thoroughbreds don't exist anymore. Sold or are still trying to sell their shares with one member now running the bid for the Brisbane Bombers.

Goddo

Bench
My guess is a few tantrums will be thrown as it all unfolds.

Grant is making all the right noises, i think we are in good hands
Agreed. he seems to have a good grasp of the issues in the game and where he sees it going.

People worry about Gallop, but in reality his role now will be the day to day stuff like bickering with Melbourne and Manly, fining players for misbehaving and saying um a lot.

I doubt he will have much involvement in the big issues like expansion and TV rights.

Brutus

Referee
Agreed. he seems to have a good grasp of the issues in the game and where he sees it going.

People worry about Gallop, but in reality his role now will be the day to day stuff like bickering with Melbourne and Manly, fining players for misbehaving and saying um a lot.

I doubt he will have much involvement in the big issues like expansion and TV rights.

A lot of articles recently still refer to him doing or overseeing the tv deal.

Let's hope that's not the case.

El Diablo

Post Whore
A lot of articles recently still refer to him doing or overseeing the tv deal.

Let's hope that's not the case.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...-rights-hardball/story-e6frg996-1225843487154

THE creation of an independent commission to control rugby league will not alter the NRL's plans to use a sub-committee containing club representatives to advise it on the upcoming television broadcast rights negotiations.

The committee -- which includes Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys, Bulldogs chief Todd Greenberg, St George Illawarra chief Peter Doust, North Queensland boss Peter Parr and consultancy LEK -- was established to ensure club involvement in critical broadcast negotiations before the present deal expires in 2012.

"It's a really good indicator that the NRL wants to involve the clubs," Mr Greenberg said.

"The change of ownership won't change things too dramatically . . . but it may mean negotiations are less convoluted."

Digga Hole

Juniors

The general negotiations on deals like this would be done by manamagment, including the CEO.

An IC or a sub committee formed by the IC would have final say, but not do the negotiations. These people have other jobs and will likely only dedicate one or two days a month to the NRL which clearly makes it impossible for them to do the negotiations. These deal takes months of full time structuring and negotiation.

Media reporting of company Boards or sports commissions generally seem to focus on deals as if they are their deals. In reality Boards/IC's provide strategic direction, and then approve (or otherwise) the deals once management have negotiated them.

Last edited:

juro

Bench
Man, can I have Gallop's job? I'd um and arr all day for half of what he gets!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Man, can I have Gallop's job? I'd um and arr all day for half of what he gets!

gallopcup7.jpg

Brutus

Referee
It worries me having the lowy CEO's involved in the negotiations. Some shockers amongst them.

Last edited:
How exactly is having a handful of club bosses involved in the TV negotiations in-keeping with the independence of the commission?