What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC Qualifiers. US Happy, Canada Disappointed, Philadelphia Hosts?

roopy

Referee
It would give Canada a powerful incentive to get a 4 team comp going if they were told they could play the qualifiers if they have a 4 team comp up and running by the start of the 2011 season.
I can't see then winning anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to set a bar for them to reach - could only be good.

Poul

Juniors
Pretty sure the AMNRL is based out of Philadelphia (I think that's where Niu lives etc).

I think you are correct, and more specifically in Aston, where the Bulls are based. Because of this, Philadelphia has been the epicentre for Rugby League in the USA, with most/many of the teams from the surrounding environs; Aston (previously Glen Mills) Bulls, Philadelphia Fight, and previously Bucks County (New Jersey) Sharks and Media ( Delaware)Mantarays, and latterly a more remote centre of power in Jacksonville. So, I guess there are some parallels with Rugby League here in Australia; with Sydney being the epicentre, and Brisbane now probably being regarded as having the greatest interest in Rugby League. A bit of rivalry can be a good thing.

yakstorm

First Grade
It would give Canada a powerful incentive to get a 4 team comp going if they were told they could play the qualifiers if they have a 4 team comp up and running by the start of the 2011 season.
I can't see then winning anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to set a bar for them to reach - could only be good.

Fortunately Canada is working to try and set that up regardless, but yeah it would be nice to let them participate in the tournament even if it was on the basis that they couldn't qualify (ie. Like France in the Mediterranean Cup Qualifier tournament for the 2000 RLWC).

Canada need internationals, and South Africa would have some drawing power for the Canadians public and players just because of their profile in Union.

Big Picture

Juniors
Fortunately Canada is working to try and set that up regardless, but yeah it would be nice to let them participate in the tournament even if it was on the basis that they couldn't qualify (ie. Like France in the Mediterranean Cup Qualifier tournament for the 2000 RLWC).
Considering that the climate here means they have to play at the same time of year as rugby union, to set that up they need to look beyond union players and target American football players. Not enough union players are going to switch for more than the occasional game.

Canada need internationals, and South Africa would have some drawing power for the Canadians public and players just because of their profile in Union.
For union players maybe, but certainly not for the public here. Rugby union has such a low profile here that South Africa's standing in it means absolutely nothing to most Canadian sports fans. It's probable that more Canadians remember the Jamaican bobsled team at the Calgary winter Olympics than know anything about South Africa's union team. Countries that would have drawing power for them would be ones we have established rivalries with in sports people here do know, like the US and Russia.

juro

Bench
Is it being played in Philadelphia to spread the international games around instead of always being in Jacksonville? Or is it because some people weren't happy with how the Atlantic Cup was run this year?

mtngry

Juniors
Japan had the same 4 team comp problem, it sucks, but is a fair rule.

But regarding Canada
, if they put one or two teams in the AMNRL would the
RLIF allow them to attempt to qualify?

druzik

Juniors
Is it being played in Philadelphia to spread the international games around instead of always being in Jacksonville? Or is it because some people weren't happy with how the Atlantic Cup was run this year?

There was nothing wrong with the way it was Run, not sure where you got that impresion from. If it wasn't for Spinner and the Axemen running it I can guarantee it would have not been as successful as it was.

If a sport is going to grow it needs to be spread around and promoted in different parts of the country.

juro

Bench
I wasn't implying anything about the Atlantic Cup tournament being a failure or anything. I was just asking a question. Thanks for confirming, Druzik!

crimpo

Juniors
The work put in for the Jacksonville events was obviously huge - they've set a standard for Philadelphia to step up to.