What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC08 Final Spot - Who do you want in?

Who would you like to see take the last spot in the World Cup?

• Total voters

pcpp

Juniors
With the two final European spots being wrapped up by Ireland and Scotland, perhaps against the wishes of many in the forum, only one of Wales, Lebanon, Samoa, and the USA will make it.

Wales - Semi-finalists the last two world cups, have a semi-professional RL team looking to get into the Super League.

Lebanon - Will probably draw big crowds at Parramatta and Penrith due to the large Sydney based Lebanese population. Has an emerging domestic competition.

Samoa - Strong side on paper, although some players have dubious commitments and ties to Samoa after playing for NZ.

USA - Has a strong domestic competition with plenty of home grown players in the squad.

I'm hoping that Wales get in, due to their performance at the last two world cups and for the Celtic Crusaders and the game in Wales, but their performances obviously have not been up to scratch. Lebanon is a close second due to the probable crowds and then USA and Samoa.

thommo4pm

Coach
I'll take any of the 4 with Samoa the exception.
I don't like how the players who didn't qualify for NZ all of a sudden rock up to play for Samoa.
Really if we want League to grow as much as we all do, then we need the USA in the Finals, and for the AMNRL together with RLIF start to make some further progress in the US market. It seems like Jacksonville are the only franchise over there making any real progress, I could be wrong though, and am happy to be proven so.
I'd be happy with either Lebanon or Wales making it also.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
I can see the benefits for each one of those 4 teams making it thorugh, but my least favourity would be Samoa

roopy

Referee
I'd love sense to prevail and three of the four get through - unlucky USA just not good enough yet.
Back to reality - Samoa should win.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
My Preferences
1. Wales (to good to be forgotten all of a sudden, plus they could possibly play in the 4 nations)
2. Samoa (yeah their players have played for NZ, but they would ensure a good game a football by people that really know the game well)
3. USA (I was very impressed with them when they played Australia a few years ago, would love to see a rematch some time)
4. Lebanon (If they arent going to be able to have their best team on the paddock then I dont nor would most people care)

Nz

Juniors
1. Wales - Still one of the better teams of international RL despite the loss to Scotland, could prove to be very competitive at a world cup as they always have been. Will no doubt boost the support of the Celtic-Crusaders if they get in.

2. Samoa - Although they have a few band-waggoning ex-NZ players, Ireland and the Scots will most likely recruit first grade players in the same way. On paper they look like a good outfit but have usually disappointed in World Cups, it wouldn't be a bad thing for these guys to make it.

3.Lebanon - Unfortunate to be playing in the repecharge finals, will no doubtedly draw big crowds if they succeed. A world cup could bring wonders to the game, though, I still think Wales and Samoa are more deserving.

4.USA - Coming of a massive loss to Cumbria, i think their reputation and morale would have been severely tarnished. Give them a few more years to develop and they’ll be right. Its too early to be putting USA into a world cup thus far.

Big Picture

Juniors
Before yesterday the US would have been my top choice, the WC needs a big country like that for the exposure. Then again they'd likely get beaten by Tonga and that wouldn't impress too many Yanks.

After yesterday my preferences would be:

1. Wales -- it would be a terrible shame if they miss out after making the semis the last 2 times
2. USA -- the game's sleeping giant (along with Russia) that could lift its' International profile immeasurably when they develop enough
3. Lebanon -- has a credible domestic league that's landed meaningful sponsorship
4. Samoa -- the last thing we need is a team loaded with past NZ (or Australia) players.

bowes

Juniors
anyone but USA, as they'd make the world cup even more of a laughing stock if at all possible by getting smashed in a deliberately rigged easy group

SouthsvsNRL

Juniors
Go Somoa................

I think it will be good.

I like the way Wales have promoted the game thought. They deserve it more.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

Wales, because mainly a lot of the players are classed as locals, plus theyve been in the last two and it will be a shame to see the semi finalists in the last WC miss out

USA, theyve got their own competition and like Wales have fielded a number of locals, although it will be tough for them I like to finally see the Americans make it, even though they'd be the lowest ranked side in the WC. They could be crowd favourite.

I love to see USA in it, but Wales deserves it more.

Lebanon would be good cause they'll draw crowds in Sydney, but they're basically fielding Australians with Lebanese background.

I dont like to see Samoa if they fielded a lot of ex Kiwi internationals. I mean guys like Lauatiti and T Puletua would still be good enough for Nzl if they picked up their form.

Misanthrope

Staff member
If Samoa can retain something like their current squad for the World Cup, then I'd like it to be them purely for the fact they'll be the most competitive of the squads. Wales would be my next choice for similar reasons, and because they'll be pushing for a Super League franchise.

Lebanon and USA would both be good purely from an expansion point of view, but I can't imagine either of them really producing much in terms of competition for the bigger nations.

ucantseeme

Juniors
Since they are battling for the 10th spot in a 10 team tournament, these are the 4 weakest teams in a RL Top 13. Although Scotland and Ireland are ahead only by a whisker.

In saying that, I think Samoa has the strongest side of the 4 but there inclusion in the WC will have the least benefit for the home nation. Could be renamed NZ2. As for the rest:

USA, got thrashed by a county side, they won't get passed Samoa.

Lebanon, surpried the local comp is taking off so well, Robbie Farah might make a big difference in 08, but again they won't get passed Samoa if they get to play them.

Wales, with Harris and Briers in the team they only beat Scotland by 2 points, can't say they are going backwards as their local RL seems to be going forward. On reputation they should get in but on form, no.

ucantseeme said:
Wales, with Harris and Briers in the team they only beat Scotland by 2 points, can't say they are going backwards as their local RL seems to be going forward. On reputation they should get in but on form, no.

That's a bit of an understatement... They have a professional club with mainly Welsh-qualifying players on the roster and the strong likelihood of a Super League franchise in 2009. None of those other nations are anywhere near that stage of development.

As everyone else has said on here there are good reasons to want to see each of these teams in the WC... IMO, having weighed all these up, Wales making the WC is the best result for RL development.

Though, the last place is decided on the field and I'd be pretty damn surprised if Samoa didn't take the last place...

Latest posts