What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 7 vs Panthers

Gronk

Staff member
Fui was placed on report for a shoulder charge in the Tonga vs Samoa Test.

<confused>

It just looked like a stock standard shoulder, but he's facing 1 week if he pleas guilty, 2 weeks if he fights it.

#huh?

Bigfella

Coach
I thought Fui looked very effective in that company.

Certainly a long way ahead of fellow veterans like Asotasi and Kite.

spiderdan

Bench
why was that game played under nrl rules? i thought the shoulder charge was still ok in every non-nrl comp.

barney gumble

Juniors
Very true. Same as the Aus vs NZ test should have allowed the shoulder charge.

The Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) followed the lead of the NRL and banned the shoulder charge as of the start of this year. The first game it was in force was the world club challenge. So, no shoulder charges in international games as well.

spiderdan

Bench
The Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) followed the lead of the NRL and banned the shoulder charge as of the start of this year. The first game it was in force was the world club challenge. So, no shoulder charges in international games as well.
ah i see. i hadn't heard that.

thanks for clarifying. fair enough then.

if it was a clear cut shoulder charge then fui should cop the week.

Gronk

Staff member
I thought it should have been dealt with on the field. Penalty and we move on.

Why is it being treated like an attack to the head ?

hybrideel

Bench
because it's not as simple at just not doing it. If you have been using the shoulder charge for your entire career, say 20 or so years in Fui's case, you just just stop automatically when it could well be a natural reaction by now. It takes time to get it out of the game. TBH i think for this season at least, any shoulder charge that doesn't attack the head should be a penalty at most. Let them know they can't do it anymore but don't punish them too harshly because of a knee jerk reaction

strider

Post Whore
I see alot of, what ARE shoulder charges happening that are probably pretty hard for a player to make a split second decision and change what he has been doing for 5+ years instinctively. Times when you don't necessarily have time to pull out of a collision, but you also don't have time to make and actual tackle, so you brace and hit em with your shoulder/chest/body - and that is now deemed illegal.

Not saying Fui's was one of those, but there are times you go, well yeah it would probably have been hard to not hit him with your shoulder.

Seems a bit rough that Fui gets the same penalty as Fa'oso who totally blind sided a guy with a very forceful and intentional shoulder/body hit

It was far from a nothing game. It meant the world to the fans there and unless we make the finals it will be the most entertaining game I attend this year.

Not to mention the fact that games like that are needed to develop the real potential in rugby league, which is the international scene.

Springs

First Grade
Moi Moi played great for Tonga. If he was to carry that from over to club games then he will be a loss this week.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
It was far from a nothing game. It meant the world to the fans there and unless we make the finals it will be the most entertaining game I attend this year.

Not to mention the fact that games like that are needed to develop the real potential in rugby league, which is the international scene.

It's already huge in Tonga and Samoa.

Latest posts