What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robbie Graham - NSW Under 16's

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Tim Grant's shocking omission from the NSW Blues side means there will be just one Panther on show at ANZ Stadium on the 5th of June. That honour goes to Robbie Graham, the 2013 Harold Matthews captain, who has been selected in the NSW Under 16's side to play Queensland in the curtain raiser to the main fixture.

The Rugby League journey of Graham started at the age of four, in the Under 6's at Colyton. He was inspired by a family who loves the game of Rugby League.

Graham played ten seasons at the Colts before moving to the Minchinbury Jets in 2012. He started as a centre before moving into the halves, then into the lock forward position, and finally back to centre where he starred for the Penrith Panthers in 2013.

A Blues jumper looked a long way away as Graham missed the Harold Matthews pre-season due to a broken hand. This put him behind the rest of the squad, but a tremendous work ethic meant that he quickly caught up to the fitness levels required.

Harold Matthews trainer Nathan Mairleitner was glowing in his endorsement of Graham.

"Regardless of who Robbie worked with, with myself on strength and conditioning or offence and defensive coaches, his attitude and willingness to learn was of the highest quality," Mairleitner says.*

Not only did Graham bounce back from his injury setback but he went on to be named Captain of the Penrith Panthers team.

Vincennes Fialelei played with Graham at Colyton, as well as at the Panthers, so he is one player that knows him better than most.

"He is the type of captain that goes out of his way to help you with your game. He gives the boys feedback and praises them when they do something good."

Graham is known for his stellar running game in which he has worked hard to master.

"When I was younger, I used to use my speed but...watching my brothers play they would always hit that unders line. So I practised and practised it. Penrith also helped me a tremendous amount with my foot work," Graham says.

Fialelei heaped praise on his captain in both attack and defence.

"If it wasn't his determination in his defence, it was his speed and agility in attack with his lethal palm."

The Penrith Panthers were unfortunately bundled out of the Harold Matthews competition in the preliminary final after an outstanding season. Graham along with Jarome Broadbridge, Liam Murray and Reed Izzard were invited to a 'Possible v. Probables' Origin trial at Leichhardt Oval.

"It was a faster game than I thought it was going to be, and I wasn't too sure if I was going to be selected," Graham said of the trial.

On Monday the 20th of May, the team was announced and Graham couldn't believe it at first.

"I was shocked when I saw the side. I had to look over it a few times to make sure it was true!"

State of Origin is something Graham has been exposed to from a young age and he can't wait to be a part of it.

"It definitely is the best three games of the year. With the intensity involved and watching the players spill everything to represent their state; to me that is what footy is about," Graham says.

Fialelei commented that the Penrith Panthers Harold Matthews team is "overwhelmed by Robbie's selection."

Mairleitner added, "It's a fantastic achievement for a great kid who always made those extra efforts on the field."

When asked about how it feels to be pulling on the jersey in front of thousands of fans at ANZ Stadium, Graham said, "It is an unbelievable feeling and I can't wait to give everything I have to make NSW proud."

Last edited:

parra pete

Referee
Don't know anything about Robbie Graham, who has been selected in the KO Cup team on Saturday...but he once was in 'illustrious company" selected as an Emerging NSW squad.

The 16-18 years Blues in Waiting squad (player, club, junior club)
Nick Cotric (Canberra Raiders, Valley Dragons)
Cleveland McGhie (Canberra Raiders, Mt Warrigal)
Finlay Dibley (Cronulla Sharks, Gymea)
Lachlan Hughes Cronulla Sharks, Taren Point)
Harrison Muller (Cronulla Sharks, Orange CYMS)
Daniel Vasquez (Cronulla Sharks, St Josephs)
Adam Keighran (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, Wyong
Roos)
Will Kerr (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, Camden)
Jayden Okunbor (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, Milperra)
Mitchell Connor (Central Coast Centurions, Central Wyong)
Latrell Mitchell (Central Coast Centurions, Taree RSL)
Daniel Peck (Central Coast Centurions, Toukley)
Ethan Roberts, Grafton Ghosts, Grafton Ghosts)
Darcy Cox (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, Ourimbah)
Wade Hannell (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, Woy Woy)
Liam Knight (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, Berkeley Vale)
Jessie Ramien (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, Coonamble)
Tom Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, Mona Vale)
Tyrone Amey (Newcastle Knights, Wyong Roos)
Ngangarra Barker (Newcastle Knights, Raymond Terrace)
Jack Cogger (Newcastle Knights, Toukley)
Jobey Ingram (Newcastle Knights, Kurri Kurri)
Brock Lamb (Newcastle Knights, Thornton/Beresfield)
Jake McNamara (Newcastle Knights, Lake Cathie- Bonny Hills)
Troy Dargan (Parramatta Eels, Mounties)
Michael Doolan (Parramatta Eels, Ashcroft)
Simon Fonua (Parramatta Eels, Chester Hill)
Tyrell Fuimaono (Parramatta Eels, St Mary's)
Mark Griffiths (Parramatta Eels, Guildford)
Dillon Khoury (Parramatta Eels, Guildford)
Tepai Moeroa (Parramatta Eels, Colyton/Mt Druitt)
Cameron King (Parramatta Eels, Narrabri)
Denzal Tonise (Parramatta Eels, Parramatta City)
Joey Tramontana (Parramatta Eels, Marconi)
Alex Twal (Parramatta Eels, Parramatta City)
Robbie Graham (Penrith Panthers, Colyton/Mt Druitt)
Soni Hala (Penrith Panthers, Parramatta Junior Eels)
Reed Izzard (Penrith Panthers, Windsor)
Soni Luke (Penrith Panthers, St Mary's)
Nat Butcher (South Sydney Rabbitohs, South Eastern)
Liam Coleman (South Sydney Rabbitohs, Mascot)
Brock Gray (South Sydney Rabbitohs, Mascot)
Gabriel Hamlin (South Sydney Rabbitohs, South Eastern)
Paul Momirovski (South Sydney Rabbitohs, Alexandria)
Reimis Smith (South Sydney Rabbitohs, Gungahlin)
Jonathon Tufuga (South Sydney Rabbitohs, Mascot Jets)
Ben Cassell (St George Illawarra Dragons, Newtown Junior Jets)
Jacob Host (St George Illawarra Dragons, Renown)
Ryan King (St George Illawarra Dragons, Western Suburbs)
Blake Lawrie (St George Illawarra Dragons, Dapto)
Ryan McCauley (St George Illawarra Dragons, Orange CYMS)
Hame Sele (St George Illawarra Dragons, Berala)
Izaac Thompson (St George Illawarra Dragons, Hurstville)
Kyle Madden (Wests Tigers, Thirlmere/Tahmoor)
Mark McCormack (Wests Tigers, Camden)
Pifeliti Pifeleti (Wests Tigers, Strathfield)
Bayley Sironen (Wests Tigers, Holy Cross)
Ray Stone (Wests Tigers, Moss Vale)

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
One of those blokes who was great as a junior, but failed to kick on.

I can't recall the name.

Last edited: