What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui - Starting Half in 2013

hardbaby

Coach
Hi guys. Just doing some early form and I think your boys will win the premiership. But I am wondering about hooker and halfback. Will Lui be the starting half next year or will you start with Morgan and Lui will have to win his way in? Also, you have lots of talented hookers but no stand out. Will it be Anthony Mitchell?

hardbaby

Coach
You reckon? Marshall was brilliant when Lui was at half. The moment he left, Marshall went to mud. I think the same could be true of the Lui/Thurston combo. Morgan went well this year. But I don't think he is in the same league as Lui.

Diesel

Referee
I dont want Lui anywhere near 1st grade.

x2

Two years in a row he did something inexcusable. Once is disgusting and shows how weak he really is, for it to happen twice the Cows should rip up his contract no matter how much footy talent he has

Talanexor

Juniors
I don't want Lui anywhere near first grade either, but I'm resigned to the fact it's going to happen. The club wouldn't stick by him through all those dramas just so he could play QLD Cup.

I also don't think much of Morgan as a 7. If anything, I think his future is in the centres or at lock. He's got an ok passing game, but isn't an organiser. If you actually watch the way he played in the back end of the year, he was playing as a third centre, not a halfback.

I'm really hoping Thompson pulls his finger out and manages to put all the parts of his game together for 80 mins week in week out this season. He's got silky skills and can organise, and he's already the best defensive half in the league. And unlike Morgan and Lui, he has composure and knows how to build pressure, instead of always going for the hail mary play.

Daza_06

Juniors
Taking the topic a little off the subject here but the situation is you have 3 potential halfbacks: Lui, Morgan and Thompson. You also have 3 potential hookers: Moore, Mitchell and Thompson.

I personally would start the season with Morgan at halfback with his form back end of the season (unless Lui has a ripper of an offseason). Then at hooker I would start the season with Moore (a virtual unknown to me just going by what i've heard) with Thompson on the bench.

Halfback/five-eight is Thompson's position but as has been mentioned before Thompson is just about the best defensive half. Why can't he play hooker? Coming off the bench he can target those slow players at the ruck. And to be honest I think Lui and Morgan are ahead of him for the halfback role so why not give it a shot.

I think Thompson has been a bit of a forgotten man and if he can't fit into the hooker role he must be close to leaving the club altogether.

In saying all that this is a great dilema for Henry to have, competition in key positions.

hardbaby

Coach
Just can't see either of these young halves keeping Lui out. He may not be popular with supporters (and understandably so) but he is an extremely talented footballer. He was signed to play half. It may have taken him a year to get there, but I'm sure he will take the position in time.

As for Moore, it seems like mixed reports. Another bloke with heaps of talent and major off-field issues. I think he'll be there or thereabouts. At least you have options.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Just can't see either of these young halves keeping Lui out. He may not be popular with supporters (and understandably so) but he is an extremely talented footballer. He was signed to play half. It may have taken him a year to get there, but I'm sure he will take the position in time.

As for Moore, it seems like mixed reports. Another bloke with heaps of talent and major off-field issues. I think he'll be there or thereabouts. At least you have options.

His defense is as hard as a ninety year old's c**k. Add that to the off field drama and he can GTFO as far as I am concerned

His defense is as hard as a ninety year old's c**k. Add that to the off field drama and he can GTFO as far as I am concerned
Yep Lui was terrible in defense for the Tigs.
At least Ray Ray or Morgan can tackle.
Beating Women is a bout as hard as Lui gets.

Talanexor

Juniors
Mitchell was outstanding at half in the games he played for us last season

Yeah I thought so too - although I only thing he played one game at half. Got something like 3 try assists out of that too IIRC.

Not bad for a fringe first grade hooker who hasn't played in the halves since he was a teenager... I think Mitchell surprised a lot of people last season.

If we didn't already have so many halves at the club, I'd be tempted to experiment with Mitchell at halfback longer term and see how he handles it.

Having said that, this is the spine I'd like to see next year:

1. Bowen
6. Thurston
7. Thompson
9. Mitchell
14. Moore

Thompson to be given a super-simple role like Adam Reynolds was this year. Focus on getting the kicking game right and tackling hard. Leave the flashy stuff for Thurston and Bowen.

I think Ray has the potential to be a very good half, but he just hasn't been able to make much of an impact in attack, even though we've seen glimpses of his skills. I say give him 6-7 games and if he still can't manage it, then we cross his name off the halfback list permanently and go with either Morgan or Lui from then on. Thompson's had enough chances - time to deliver.

Hopefully a simplified role for him will help.

Vic Mackey

Referee
You guys are kidding if you think Lui isn't a fantatic half. Say what you want about his off field antics, but on the field he is a class halfback.