What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui???

simmo1

First Grade
He's gotta go. Our club has a pretty good reputation with off-field behaviour, and I think its important for us to maintain that.

Sigh, and after after the team stuck by him through his bouts of indifferent form and last year's incident.

Put Miller in, and pray by the time he has fully developed we still have a team capable of winning the comp.

macnaz

Staff member
Where do you pull this from? The club has got their own code of conduct, and they can conduct their own investigation and sack him if they determine a breach to that code.

Its been done by other clubs. The Bronco's punted John Te Reo and Ian Lacey for code of conduct breaches before the charges came to court. Codes of conduct are enforceable completely independent of criminal law in almost every workplace.

Of course most clubs just prefer to sit back and watch the legal process unravel because most of the time it means they have to do pretty much nothing, because these domestic abuse causes very rarely stand up in court. (Robert Lui Episode 1, Anthony Watt's, Greg Inglis, Greg Bird so on and so forth). And so as a result of Wests Tigers taking that exact approach last time, they have to wear the bad publicity when it happens again.
LOL where do i pull this from.. Its comon knowledge .. Do i really have to explain it all again ??

WHAT IN THE CODE OF CONDUCT HAS LUI BREACHED ?? Answer that and we can move on from there ok.

badav

Bench
LOL where do i pull this from.. Its comon knowledge .. Do i really have to explain it all again ??

WHAT IN THE CODE OF CONDUCT HAS LUI BREACHED ?? Answer that and we can move on from there ok.

What exactly are you on about? You are completely and utterly incorrect. Don't explain it again. It was wrong in the first instance.

I cannot tell you what part of Wests code of conduct Lui has breached. You know why? Because clubs code of conduct are between them and the players. They don't publish them on internet forums.

Its up to Wests to investigate and then decide if their has been a breach. What im trying to tell you is they can easily do that of their own accord irrespective of any criminal charges or investigation. However they have shown by past precedent, no willingness whatsoever to do this. To quote Chris Tucker do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouf.

Mark my words right now these charges will also be thrown out of court eventually. And then lets see if Lui can strike it 3rd time lucky in 2012 and then if Wests want to apply the lets wait and see approach yet again.

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
Badav.. Yes I agree that he can be sacked IF a breach of conduct is found-but that was not the point I made that you believe is wrong. The point I made was if the club wants to sack him on an ALLEGATION that is proven wrong then they are liable for legal recourse if Lui takes that option, I dont understand how you deem that wrong?

N.C.

Juniors
Badav.. Yes I agree that he can be sacked IF a breach of conduct is found-but that was not the point I made that you believe is wrong. The point I made was if the club wants to sack him on an ALLEGATION that is proven wrong then they are liable for legal recourse if Lui takes that option, I dont understand how you deem that wrong?
They did it to Daine Laurie. But then he wasn't one of Sheens' favourites.

Bench
They did it to Daine Laurie. But then he wasn't one of Sheens' favourites.
Exactly,Lui has to go if we are to retain our image,I hope the NRL deregesiter him,because I think Sheens will take the soft option,show some balls Humpty and sack this bloke.

N.C.

Juniors
Released him from the final year of his contract just after he was charged with a similar offence.

On reflection, maybe it was that they did not take up an option to extend his contract.

Maybe there's no comparison there at all...

Magpie Nick

Juniors
Released him from the final year of his contract just after he was charged with a similar offence.

On reflection, maybe it was that they did not take up an option to extend his contract.

Maybe there's no comparison there at all...

I'm fairly sure Laurie wasn't even charged in the end and he was released, at least publically, so he could get some game time.

maitland_magpie

Juniors
Sack Lui NOW, and as for talk of signing Todd Carney, why would you replace one dickhead with another. The Tigers image is way to valueable to damage it with either of these arse clowns at the club. I would rather support a club that struggles to make the finals with a team that you can respect then support a successful team full of grubs. Could you imagine supporting a team with the likes of Brett Stewart, Glen Stewart, Anthony Watmough, the lowest of grubs each and everyone of them. No thanks, I couldn't celebrate any victory if the Tigers became a club like Manly who are happy to have any f#ckwit play fo them.

Das Hassler

Bench
Sack Lui NOW, and as for talk of signing Todd Carney, why would you replace one dickhead with another. The Tigers image is way to valueable to damage it with either of these arse clowns at the club. I would rather support a club that struggles to make the finals with a team that you can respect then support a successful team full of grubs. Could you imagine supporting a team with the likes of Brett Stewart, Glen Stewart, Anthony Watmough, the lowest of grubs each and everyone of them. No thanks, I couldn't celebrate any victory if the Tigers became a club like Manly who are happy to have any f#ckwit play fo them.

I bit harsh there but dead right (a little harsher would have been nice)....The tigers very rarely ever sign a known problem child..last one would have been Craig Field which pretty much followed the script. It started out well but pretty quickly went downhill ala. Carney at the chooks. The next year they signed their second known boofhead from manly..Hoppa...that also worked out less than well. Never understand why the younger boofheads are reffered to as "just kids" ..these guys aren't kids, they're grown fu--in' MEN who have been given the opportunity of a lifetime...if they blow it then tough luck, Re. Carney, Ray Warren keeps on about how "we all" (reffering to the RL community) should not let this amazing talent go to waste ..what a bunch of BS..as someone far more famous than i (but not famous enough for me to remember who it was) said..."the greatest resource in the world is unrealised talent".. if you blow it it shouldn't matter to anyone but you...the next amazing talent is sitting in the waiting room
(edit) With Laurie, Sheens was proven dead right...it went even worse for Penrith..how many first grade games did he play in two years inbetween breaches.. a dozen if that?

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
THE troubled Wests Tigers halfback Robert Lui and his partner have agreed to begin counselling this week before the 21-year-old appears in court on Friday charged with assault.
Lui was stood down by the Tigers a fortnight ago after police charged him with assaulting his girlfriend, Taleah Rae Backo.
He is due to face Burwood Local Court on Friday and his future at the club is likely to rest on the outcome.
Advertisement: Story continues below
However, the Tigers have made an effort to assist Lui and his partner since the matter arose by offering counselling.
The Tigers chief, Stephen Humphreys, said: ''We … couldn't force them to do it but we thought it was in their best interests.''
Lui, who has been staying with family in Brisbane, was charged last year with nine offences relating to the alleged assault of Backo, but was cleared in April.
After the latest charge the club met with sponsors in an attempt to alleviate concern. Humphreys has warned against prejudging Lui.
The Tigers have also dismissed any interest in Daniel Mortimer, the Parramatta halfback who was told by the Eels he was not required for 2012 despite being on contract for the next two years.
Mortimer would be a potential replacement for Lui if he was sacked but Humphreys said there would be no approach about the 22-year-old. He also emphatically ruled out any interest in the discarded Sydney Roosters playmaker Todd Carney

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...his-partner-20111004-1l7bl.html#ixzz1ZxoK4Du5

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Would be a real shame if Lui was to be sacked, but you can't blame the club.

Such a waste. He will end up a quality player if he sorts out his off-field issues. All that work put into him, wasted.

N.C.

Juniors
A shame if we hang onto him and it turns out he can't keep his hands to himself again.

All that work off the field, not just wasted... vanished into thin air!

Latest posts