What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Stone Memorial Golf Day

getsmarty

Immortal
Robert Stone Memorial Golf Day
Mon 28th November, 12:00PM
A A

The St George Illawarra Dragons held their annual Robert Stone Memorial Golf Day at The Coast Golf Club, Little Bay on Friday.

The Dragons first-grade full-time pre-season train-on squad were in attendance as well over 100 of the Club’s valued Partners.

Corporate Partners were joined by Dragons Assistant Coaches Ben Hornby, Ambassadors Shaun Timmins and Mark Gasnier as well as the Flames Cheerleaders.

Furthermore, several members of the current playing squad including new recruits Paul Vaughan, Cameron McInnes, Nene Macdonald and Josh Kerr as well as Kurt Mann, Drew Hutchison, Will Matthews and Jack de Belin.

A corporate presentation lunch followed up the day allowing our valued Partners to interact with the playing-group in a relaxed environment.

1480300604721.jpg

1480300620762.jpg

1480300634094.jpg

1480300644848.jpg

1480300662301.jpg

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/11/28/robert_stone_memoria.html

Old Timer

Coach
I used to stop in Carss Park in the mid to late 70's for coffee and bumped into Robert a couple of times and he was a most affable, good natured fellow with a big smile. If not mistaken he was teaching at the time.
Around that time Roy Ferguson had the paper shop on Carlton Parade and he too was a very good natured easy going guy as well.
Both happy to have a chat and unpretentious about themselves and knock about fellows.
A real shame that some of these idiots in the sport today don't have similar natures and I honestly think a real job wouldn't hurt them in the least.
Back in those days a dickhead arrogant young fellow would be quickly punched into line.

getsmarty

Immortal

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

As a youngster, i played this course a million times.
This photo depicts the Members putting green, overlooking the 10th tee.

Talk about a squillion memories or what.

I can still remember seeing Greg Norman working the Pro Shop as a trainee, for Billy McWilliam, the club Professional................. wow!

Como Connection

First Grade

I can still remember seeing Greg Norman working the Pro Shop as a trainee, for Billy McWilliam, the club Professional................. wow!
The five new holes with water hazards on all of them has really improved the course, now is a 121 slope rating.
CC

SaintPauli

Juniors

Little Bay is a beustiful part of Sydney. Come a long way in the last 20 years. Must be seen to believe.

Wittenberg

Juniors
I watched the 1977 grand final replay the other day. Often people talk about Reddy bashing Price and the Eels, but if you watch the first 10 minutes you see that Stone was a wrecking ball and one scrum that broke up with 10 minutes to go in the first half saw Stone belt the crap out of two Parra forwards and opening up the forehead of one of the Eel props. Reddy might have been after Price but Stone belted Higgs, the player whose knee had ended little Mark Shulman’s career the week before. Stone seemed determined to pay Higgs back and kneed him twice, stomped on his hand and belted him twice in scuffles that occurred after scrums. He would have been sent off today, or have been cited numerous times. And he scored a try. It was the most devastating prop display I think I have seen a St George prop play

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I watched the 1977 grand final replay the other day. Often people talk about Reddy bashing Price and the Eels, but if you watch the first 10 minutes you see that Stone was a wrecking ball and one scrum that broke up with 10 minutes to go in the first half saw Stone belt the crap out of two Parra forwards and opening up the forehead of one of the Eel props. Reddy might have been after Price but Stone belted Higgs, the player whose knee had ended little Mark Shulman’s career the week before. Stone seemed determined to pay Higgs back and kneed him twice, stomped on his hand and belted him twice in scuffles that occurred after scrums. He would have been sent off today, or have been cited numerous times. And he scored a try. It was the most devastating prop display I think I have seen a St George prop play

It was a great game.
I was at the first gf but watched the replay on tv.

If Stone was playing for the Saints now, he would of been stood down by the nrl.

If Stone was now playing for the Bulldogs and did that, he’d be suspended for 4-6 weeks.

If he was now playing for the Broncos and did that, he’d be cop a one week suspension.

If he was playing for the Storm, he wouldn’t even be cited.