What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robinson

kit66

Bench
I can't watch that at work here but I hope he thanked / gave credit to his recruitment team. Given the rosters they've had for the last 10 years you'd expect a few trophies in your cabinet.
It's similar to Bennett at the Broncos in the 90's, the roster helped as much as the coach.
Both great coaches for sure but it's all relative.
Give me an underdog fairy tale any day - West Tigers 2005 GF win under Tim Sheens.

Last edited:

giboz71

First Grade
I can't watch that at work here but I hope he thanked / gave credit to his recruitment team. Given the rosters they've had for the last 10 years you'd expect a few trophyies in your cabinet.
It's similar to Bennett at the Broncos in the 90's, the roster helped as much as the coach.
Give me an underdog fairy tale any day - West Tigers 2005 GF win under Tim Sheens.

Well you can also argue that the best coaches attract the best players.

Certainly the case at Souths this year.

I think great coaches build teams and identify the players that they need and will strengthen their roster. They also know how to bring through young talent because the best proven formula for winning comps is a healthy mix of youth and experience.
Bennett and Robinson don't have to prove much and I really don't think it's relative.
The issue of recruitment is part of their quality as coaches.
At various stages we have had great rosters also but without a top line coach, those windows of opportunity came and went without a whimper.
Bennet - 3 year tenure, 2 minor premierships and a title.
Didn't have anything like a Broncos roster to work with and still did the business.
I can't watch that at work here but I hope he thanked / gave credit to his recruitment team. Given the rosters they've had for the last 10 years you'd expect a few trophyies in your cabinet.

kit66

Bench
I think great coaches build teams and identify the players that they need and will strengthen their roster. They also know how to bring through young talent because the best proven formula for winning comps is a healthy mix of youth and experience.
Bennett and Robinson don't have to prove much and I really don't think it's relative.
The issue of recruitment is part of their quality as coaches.
At various stages we have had great rosters also but without a top line coach, those windows of opportunity came and went without a whimper.
Bennet - 3 year tenure, 2 minor premierships and a title.
Didn't have anything like a Broncos roster to work with and still did the business.

I'm not saying they aren't good coaches, obviously they are but you have to temper that with the keys they've been handed. Robinson got the Ferrari in 2013 and all he had to do was keep it on the road. Sonny Bill, RTS, Tupou, Minichello, Pierce, Maloney, M. Jennings. He's had similar quality every year since. Bennett had the 90's model.
I think a better example would be Bellyache, who more than most does exactly what you said. He really has turned a lot of ordinary players into something special, builds teams around a couple of great players and fashions a Champion Team the measure of any Team of Champions. That takes a great coach.

Mary shouldn't even be mentioned in the same thread as those above.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I'm not saying they aren't good coaches, obviously they are but you have to temper that with the keys they've been handed. Robinson got the Ferrari in 2013 and all he had to do was keep it on the road. Sonny Bill, RTS, Tupou, Minichello, Pierce, Maloney, M. Jennings. He's had similar quality every year since. Bennett had the 90's model.
I think a better example would be Bellyache, who more than most does exactly what you said. He really has turned a lot of ordinary players into something special, builds teams around a couple of great players and fashions a Champion Team the measure of any Team of Champions. That takes a great coach.

Mary shouldn't even be mentioned in the same thread as those above.

Fair to say that the Roosters & Melbourne do all the little things right, which adds up to a solid club.

The right coaches.
The right Ceo and management.
From top to bottom, the right people, not the club old sons for the sake of it.

We have proven for all to see, we have got it completely ass up.

We are the George Constanza of the NRL.

If we were to do the opposite of everything we are doing now, we’d be like those other two teams.’

RedVDave

First Grade
Fair to say that the Roosters & Melbourne do all the little things right, which adds up to a solid club.

The right coaches.

If we were to do the opposite of everything we are doing now, we’d be like those other two teams.’
To be fair George Costanza did win a world series during his tenure at the NY Yankees.

Belta

Juniors
Well you can also argue that the best coaches attract the best players.

Certainly the case at Souths this year.

Call me cynical but I have a sneaky suspicion that the best players also have a particular affinity with brown paper bags. Not sure if it’s the colour or texture they like but whatever it is it’s very successful in luring the best of the best. I only wish Mary would go to super market and get a whole stack.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes those damn brown paper bags are floating around more often these days and if we are aware of their existence then you can bet that the big boys down at Phillip Street know it also .

Some have mentioned that there is also the greed factor that some players have nowadays , no loyalty other than to the highest bidder for their services . If there is not enough then simply whinge and whine to the media about being treated so unfairly and after a week or so break your contract - all too simple in this day and age .

The solution is that clubs must be able to sue such individuals so as to recoup their money and those particular players must sit out a 12 month period before playing once again . Of course that must be enforced by the NRL itself , only then will these ‘ defections cease . That’s my two bobs worth anyway. :innocent:

The right coaches.

I reckon the Coach is the single most important person in the club.
Management should be supportive but make the coach accountable.
Something St. George has not been prepared to do.
At the end of the day, players want to win premierships and the money aspect is just a tempting distraction.
Great players and players with potential will come to a club for a little less money if a great coach is at the helm.
We have no chance of that dynamic influencing our recruitment with McGregor as head coach.
That's why we shop at Best and Less instead of David Jones.

WepnutV

Juniors
Wow Another sack mary thread in disguise.. the same people posting the same shit about the same person, but in different threads.. wtf

_snafu_

Immortal
I wonder if Robinson has a whiteboard and easel like McGregor. Essential items for brainstorming and out of the box thinking.