What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rocket and Sharp sacked

MrT

Juniors
AS A cashed-up AFL prepares for its 2012 invasion, rugby league's four underperforming western Sydney clubs are in disarray and turning on themselves.
The 14th-placed Parramatta Eels yesterday axed league legend Rod Reddy from their recruitment staff, along with assistant coach Peter Sharp.

Parramatta's upheaval follows similar crises at league heartland clubs Penrith, Canterbury and Wests Tigers.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Reddy is poised to contest his sacking through Parramatta Leagues Club's

human resources department. Sharp, the former Manly and North Eagles coach, was axed with two years remaining on his contract. Both have vowed to remain with the Eels for the remainder of this year.

Asked about his demise, Reddy said: "I am in the process of speaking with (Parramatta CEO) Paul Osborne and HR at Parramatta Leagues Club." Asked had the decision left him bitter, Reddy - who played 16 Tests for Australia - said: "No comment. That is why I am going through HR."

Parramatta also recently off-loaded Reddy's son, Joel, who signed with Wests Tigers.

Sharp, who previously coached English club Hull and was an assistant coach at Melbourne and Newcastle, declined to comment on his sacking. Reddy and Sharp were both told their exit was part of a club "restructure".

The signing of Brisbane recruitment officer Peter Nolan was a reason behind Reddy's dumping.

There are fears that all four marquee western Sydney clubs will bomb out this season and miss places in the top four. Parramatta are already out of finals contention.

On current form, none of the four teams will come close to winning the NRL title.

Penrith sacked coach Matt Elliott, then told popular caretaker coach Steve Georgallis he would not take over next year. CEO Mick Leary has gone, with star players Petero Civoniceva and Trent Waterhouse also departing.

There were also suggestions yesterday that another high-profile Penrith player could soon be cut.

At Canterbury, the sacking of coach Kevin Moore has caused tension and instability.

The hunt continues for a replacement.

Star Bulldogs centre Jamal Idris revealed mid-season he will join Gold Coast next year.

The Tigers loom as the west's best finals hope. However, they too have endured problems, with leading players Bryce Gibbs, Tim Moltzen, Andrew Fifita and Wade McKinnon forced out to accommodate new signing Adam Blair and the upgrading of emerging players' contracts.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...league-heartland/story-e6frexnr-1226103014613

Eels Dude

Coach
That sounds like a gibberish article filled with innuendo to stir debate. Talking about 'fear' of Western Sydney rugby league dying because the clubs in the area aren't retaining coaching staff. Idiotic claims all round in that article that are just agenda driven.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Can't believe we sacked Reddy.

Since the Eagles stole Crusher our junior recruitment and development has been the envy of the league. We've had massive stars like Tautai come into first grade as teenagers, not to mention other notable efforts like Hauraki or Oake.

And we bring in that hack from the Broncos as a replacement - what's he going to do? Bring us through a bunch of Jack Reeds or Josh Hoffmans or something?
Great....
Give us back our Josh Cordoba recruiter!!!

Gronk

Staff member
Sacked or informed that their contracts won't be renewed ? Reddy says is to peruse the matter with HR. So I guess that means he is claiming unfair dismissal. Oh well we have some experience in defending these matters in the courts of late.

hybrideel

Bench
Sharp was brought in mainly as someone who was good at communicating with the players wasn't he? Maybe Kearney feels that he can do that himself now and doesn't need the help that Smith and Anderson did

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Wtf has AFL got to do with anything? Reddy had to go he'd delivered SFA for yrs, and as for Sharp he was never appointed by SK. Funny how the article leaves out Gus has come to penrith to turn them
Around and Moore was useless as tits on a bull.

the_eel

Juniors
Can't believe we sacked Reddy.

Since the Eagles stole Crusher our junior recruitment and development has been the envy of the league. We've had massive stars like Tautai come into first grade as teenagers, not to mention other notable efforts like Hauraki or Oake.

And we bring in that hack from the Broncos as a replacement - what's he going to do? Bring us through a bunch of Jack Reeds or Josh Hoffmans or something?
Great....
Give us back our Josh Cordoba recruiter!!!

This!

About time Reddy moved on.

boxhead

First Grade
Crap article. Good news though.
I think we all knew about Rod Reddy a while ago, we haven't heard from him in ages, add to that the Nolan recruitment.
Sharpie is a bit of a surprise, but because we have Brad Arthurs here Sharpie's role is pretty much redundant.

cv8z

Juniors
Can't believe reddy senior was at the club in the first place and
I'm surprised how long he was kept

jimmy77au

Juniors
but who'll do the lineup announcements on the Eels Iphone App now?

It won't be the same without the personality of Sharpie shining through.

Bitterly disappointing.

Tizzun

Juniors
I feel for both men, hopefully they can kick on somewhere else. We'll have a few changes in the coaching and training staff next year, should be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Gronk

Staff member
I have no idea about Sharpie's contribution to the squad but Rocket's failed to bring in good kids. Kthanksbye Rod.

Bigfella

Coach
Nothing to do with disarray. Quite the opposite I reckon.

Nolan and Kearney have obviously looked at what's in place in relation to recruitment and not been happy. No one in rugby league thinks we've done well in that aspect.

And a for sharpy - Kearney wanted to build his own team when he was appointment and made no bones about that. I wish Him well, but if e doesn't fit with Kearney and Arthur and their style and plans it is right that he be let go too.