What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rod McGregor - Men of League

denis preston

First Grade
His career was strange wasn't it.NSW rep ( deserved ) in 77 and gone back to Yass in 1980 ? Obviously being a homesick country boy didn't help his career. Wonder if Trudgett joining us didn't help things for him or Trudgett was because he was struggling ? In any event those were the days where we really could recruit !

bathtime

Juniors
Sad story about Rod McGregor, he was a gun back in the day. Worth the read.

One of my favourites in 77 side, The first game I went to ever was the grandfinal replay.
5/6 years ago I was in Yass and read an interview with Rod McGregor framed on a pub bar wall. He talked about his memory loss from headknocks when executing his "copy book" tackles You can hear Rex mossop advise all youngsters to take note during grandfinals.
McGregor said he sometimes had to ask after a game, did we win?
But the reason St George let him go was his damaged vision, detached retina I think also from a headknock.
Wishing Rod and family well.

18to87

First Grade
McGregor was an integral part of what is still my favourite St George side. Alzheimers is a hideous affliction - for the sufferer and their loved ones - and I hope that he can see out his days with as much comfort, happiness and dignity as is possible.
It doesn't have to be all suffering, especially in the early stages. Hence "living with dementia" is typically the language used.

There are a couple of pictures of Rod here and this organisation does a great job of supporting their clients: https://www.instagram.com/community__home_australia_/

Latest posts