What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rodman's Comeback

General Knight

Juniors
Image may be hurting comeback: Rodman
October 9, 2004 - 10:09AM

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Former NBA star Dennis Rodman thinks his bad-boy image is hurting his chance of a comeback.

"They think I'm uncoachable and I don't know why," Rodman said. "I'm just a free and independent person."

Rodman, 43, hasn't played pro basketball since 2000 when he was waived by the NBA's Dallas Mavericks after a 29-day stint with the team. He was let go a day after he slammed owner-in-waiting Mark Cuban.

Rodman is in Monterrey, Mexico, to play two games with the city's Fuerza Regia team.

"I'm ready to come back," Rodman said. "I'm in good shape and I know I can do well."

Rodman was in Colorado last month and practiced with the Denver Nuggets. General manager Kiki Vandeweghe would not comment on Rodman's situation.

I doubt he will be successful in his comeback but if he succeeds then i certainly will want to watch him play again. He was one of the characters of the game. I missed those times that he'd take his shirt off when he was fouled out.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Rodman is one of my favourite players ever. The true competitor, such a great rebounder for someone only 6'6". Same goes for Barkeley. Hope he goes well, though I'm sceptical about this.

Mr Saab

Referee
tiger pride said:
Rodman is one of my favourite players ever. The true competitor, such a great rebounder for someone only 6'6". Same goes for Barkeley. Hope he goes well, though I'm sceptical about this.

barkley is a true 6'4
rodman is a true 6'8

Still, Rodman was a very lean 6'8 and out rebounded the likes of Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, Olajuwon etc. Rodman didnt have dual roles like the stars...as in scoring and defence. Rodman had no scoring responsibilites and thus could concentrate soley on defence. Still, Rodman did what he did SO WELL and would be on my all time NBA bench.

I read someone, maybe Barkley, say that if he just went on the court to get rebounds like Rodman did, and not have to score, he could have gotten as many. As it was Barkley was a great rebounder for his size.

Rodman was considered for the first Dream Team, but wasn't picked because he was considered too one dimensional. This was before he became a hair-dyeing, tattoo covered nut, so he wasn't left off because of that.

aqua_duck

Coach
Rodman was awesome for that Chicago side of the 90's, he owned the oppositions power forward, he's the best rebounder I've ever seen. I reckon Rodman at his best was a much better version of Ben Wallace.

Mr Saab

Referee
aqua_duck said:
Rodman was awesome for that Chicago side of the 90's, he owned the oppositions power forward, he's the best rebounder I've ever seen. I reckon Rodman at his best was a much better version of Ben Wallace.

Rodman is one of my fav players and a great rebounder...but you have to remember that that was his sole job. He had to offensive responsibilities and could concentrate soley on defence. Look at Sir Charles Barkley..in the late 80s and then into the 90s he did both. At one time he was avg 27-28 ppg and 11-12-13 boards.

aqua_duck

Coach
Charlie Saab said:
aqua_duck said:

Rodman is one of my fav players and a great rebounder...but you have to remember that that was his sole job. He had to offensive responsibilities and could concentrate soley on defence. Look at Sir Charles Barkley..in the late 80s and then into the 90s he did both. At one time he was avg 27-28 ppg and 11-12-13 boards.
Yeah thats true but I mean Rodman at his best was grabbing almost 19 rebounds a game to go with his 10 points.

pug306

Juniors
Rodmans career stats show in only 1 season did Rodman average 9.8 points per game while grabbing 18.7 boards & that was in 91-92. The rest of the time his offensive output dropped & in two seasons he averaged 4.7 points per game.

For a player that averaged 5 offensive boards a game thats poor.

He was a great rebounder, defender & hustle player but he was no where near a player who averaged 10 points per game.

Mr Saab

Referee
pug306 said:
Rodmans career stats show in only 1 season did Rodman average 9.8 points per game while grabbing 18.7 boards & that was in 91-92. The rest of the time his offensive output dropped & in two seasons he averaged 4.7 points per game.

For a player that averaged 5 offensive boards a game thats poor.

He was a great rebounder, defender & hustle player but he was no where near a player who averaged 10 points per game.

most of those offensive rebounds were ones he kept alive and kicked out to re start the play. Rodman was never a scorer. Still, i wouldnt have any problem with him being in my team

Rodman
Malone
Olajuwon
Magic
Jordan

Who needs Rodman to score in a team like that ;-)

Charlie Saab said:
Rodman
Malone
Olajuwon
Magic
Jordan

Who needs Rodman to score in a team like that ;-)

My first reaction to that team was Rodman and Malone were both power forwards, and you don't have a small forward. But I remember that the young Rodman with the Pistons was a lean, quick 3-man. He didn't score much but he guarded 3's like Bird. Later with the Bulls he had bulked up and played the 4 spot, very well although he was shorter than most power forwards.

Mr Saab

Referee
CanadianSteve said:
[My first reaction to that team was Rodman and Malone were both power forwards, and you don't have a small forward. But I remember that the young Rodman with the Pistons was a lean, quick 3-man. He didn't score much but he guarded 3's like Bird. Later with the Bulls he had bulked up and played the 4 spot, very well although he was shorter than most power forwards.

Rodman Bulked up? I must have missed that ;-)
I would always classify the Worm as a small forward and not a power forward. Sure, Rod could guard the powers (he could guard your house!)
but really he was a small forward doing a power forwards job.
Asi said, Rodman would be in my team each and every time.

General Knight

Juniors
Does anyone remember that first movie he was in? I think it was called Double Team, Jean Claude Vandame was in aswell. Man when he first appeared in that movie I thought he was meant to play as some gay guy. It was the worst movie though.

Charlie Saab said:
Rodman Bulked up? I must have missed that ;-)
I would always classify the Worm as a small forward and not a power forward. Sure, Rod could guard the powers (he could guard your house!)
but really he was a small forward doing a power forwards job.
Asi said, Rodman would be in my team each and every time.

Look at a picture of him in early Piston days compared to one with the Bulls in the late 90s. Besides more tattoos and different coloured hair, he was also much thicker and more muscled in the arms and upper body in the later years. I bet he gained at least 20 pounds over his career.

With the Pistons he actually played small forward, along with Dantley and later Aguirre. Mahorn and Salley were their power fowards. With the Bulls he played power forward, with Pippen being the small forward.

I agree that he was a small forward's height, but did a great job guarding the power forwards like Malone.

In his younger days he would guard quick perimeter players like Pippen; with the Bulls he was wrestling with the big guys in the post. I remember him guarding Ewing sometimes in the playoffs, and even Shaq in 96 when the Bulls beat the Magic in the playoffs.

Mr Saab

Referee
Yeah the Worm did bulk up a bit, but nothing substantial...his body structrue wouldnt allow it.
I will never forget the block Rodman did on Pippen in 89 ( i think )...Rodman came from no where and just destroyed Pip.

Latest posts