What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roebuck - Arrogant Ponting must be fired

Azkatro

First Grade
JJ said:
:lol: and Roebuck's accused of bias

Clearly the rest of the world is wrong, and the Australian players are noble gentleman who take great care to act according to the true spirit of the game.

:lol: :lol: @ Michael Clarke "taking" a difficult catch
Ahhh JJ.. do you miss the point on purpose or does it just come naturally? Are you just going to go on and ignore the hypocrisy of the Indian's behaviour over this matter?

fish eel

Immortal
JJ said:
it's not racism, it's name calling - it was interpreted as having racial overtones,

No JJ.

Calling Symonds a monkey is racist.

Yesterday, in another thread, I posted numerous examples, with links, where such behaviour had occurred elsewhere and been widely condenmed a racist.

El Diablo

Post Whore
fish eel said:
No JJ.

Yesterday, in another thread, I posted numerous examples, with links, where such behaviour had occurred elsewhere and been widely condenmed a racist.

but Symonds is Ausralian so it's not racist

dice

Juniors
herbert henry1908 said:
he was warned that it was racist. What part of this do you not understand!?

Exactly. Some people are as thick as bricks and Roebuck is no exception. Roebuck is detracting from the severity of the racist allegations and the fact Ponting did exactly what the ICC demanded he do, and that he has the ACB's full support.

I can only assume Roebuck either sees nothing wrong with racism or is running his own agenda.

simmo1

First Grade
Eddie. said:
Harbhajan Singh can be an irritating young man but he is head of a family and responsible for raising nine people. And all the Australian elders want to do is to hunt him from the game. Australian fieldsmen fire insults from the corners of their mouths, an intemperate Sikh warrior overreacts and his rudeness is seized upon. It might impress barrack room lawyers.

Probably the worst aspect of the Australians' performance was their conduct at the end. When the last catch was taken they formed into a huddle and started jumping up and down like teenagers at a rave. It was not euphoria. It was ecstasy. They had swallowed a dangerous pill called vengeance. Not one player so much as thought about shaking hands with the defeated and departing. So much for Andrew Flintoff consoling a stricken opponent in his hour of defeat.

These two paragraphs are ludicrous. So Harbhajan can carry on doing whatever he likes because he has a family to feed? That is the most f**ked up thing I have ever read in my life.

Let them celebrate. They just retained the trophy, they should be happy. England did the same at Edgbaston (apart from Flintoff), but no one had a cry about that one. :crazy:

backdoor

Juniors
JW said:
63637.1.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/10/20/nroe20.xml

In a statement, the victim said Roebuck told him: "I'm going to cane you now. Then it will be over and I will forgive you and, if I don't cane you, I will feel differently about you."

Roebuck asked the boy to bend over and delivered three "forceful strokes" over his clothing.

Mr Fenny said: "Roebuck then pulled the boy towards him, in what appeared to be an act of affection. He then asked if he could look at the marks on the boy's buttocks, something which he in fact did."
Clearly a true benchmark for gentlemanly behaviour himself.

The question to be asked now is does Roebuck now feel differently about Ponting and the Australian team after his "journalistic caning"

Seriously though it does seem a little like Roebuck has a slight axe to grind and maybe, just maybe his newspaper contract in India is worth more than his fees from SMH and the ABC.

JJ

Immortal
fish eel said:
No JJ.

none of us have seen all the details yet so we can't be sure

a version I have heard is that on being verbally attacked by Symonds he asked him why he was acting like a monkey - not unreasonable imo

El Diablo

Post Whore
JJ said:
a version I have heard is that on being verbally attacked by Symonds he asked him why he was acting like a monkey - not unreasonable imo

fair dinkum

you're a complete tosser and a racist

JJ

Immortal
El Diablo said:
fair dinkum

you're a complete tosser and a racist

look in the mirror chump - you're quite obviously the most racist piece of sh*t in this forum

fish eel

Immortal
JJ said:

Whatever happened, Mike Proctor, who has no reason to favour Australians, deemed what was said to Symonds as unreasonable.

You might want to defend Harbahjan. Deny the racism directed at Symonds, but it really is not defendable. Particuarly after what happened in India:

Australia's only black player, Symonds was subjected to racial abuse in the form of monkey chants during the final three games of the one-day series in India, even though Indian officials attempted to deny it.

During the last one-day match in Mumbai, on the field Harbhajan called Symonds a monkey.

An upset Symonds reported the incident to Australia's officials following the match and attempted to defuse it.

The Queenslander knocked on India's team dressing-room door and asked to speak to Harbhajan.

After explaining how he felt about the term, which infers someone is sub-human, Harbhajan said he was sorry and agreed not to use it again.

This explains why the Australians in general and Ponting in particular were so incensed when Harbhajan again clashed with Symonds on the field on Friday.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23015353-5001505,00.html

Given what has previously transpired and undertakings given, Harbhajan rightly got what he deserved.

El Diablo

Post Whore
JJ said:
look in the mirror chump - you're quite obviously the most racist piece of sh*t in this forum

i on't see you looking in the mirror. thank christ

racist

HevyDevy

Coach
JJ said:

Sometimes I almost begin to believe that we can have a reasonable discussion based on clear facts JJ - then you go and decide to ignore the fact that Harbajhan used the one word that he knew he couldn't use following the series in India.

JJ

Immortal
fish eel said:
Whatever happened, Mike Proctor, who has no reason to favour Australians, deemed what was said to Symonds as unreasonable.

You might want to defend Harbahjan. Deny the racism directed at Symonds, but it really is not defendable. Particuarly after what happened in India:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23015353-5001505,00.html

Given what has previously transpired and undertakings given, Harbhajan rightly got what he deserved.

I'm not defending Singh - although it might sound like it - he's been given an appropriate punishment. The thread is about Ponting's and Australia's perceived arrogance and lack of respect for the game and the opposition

JJ

Immortal
HevyDevy said:
Sometimes I almost begin to believe that we can have a reasonable discussion based on clear facts JJ - then you go and decide to ignore the fact that Harbajhan used the one word that he knew he couldn't use following the series in India.

I don't think I have ever said that Singh was doing the right thing - if I have I shouldn't have.

I just think that there is a context, and making a statement you later regret is possible. Nonetheless he's been rightly suspended.

Again, the Aussie's behaviour is less than exemplary, and again given how great the team is it'll be a shame if history remembers them as a bunch of merkins (even if only a few of them are merkins).

And if you agree with the jingoistic racist nonsene the likes of El Diablo are posting, then a reasonable discussion is not possible

HevyDevy

Coach
There is no doubt that Australia has an air of arrogance about them (although if we can accuse any other country of that as well it's India).

I also believe that Ponting can lose control of his emotions at times. One of the great things about Steve Waugh was the fact that he never looked fazed and never looked overly joyous. He just maintained that ruthless look of determination on his face which in itself must have intimidated the opposition.

Pomnting carried on a bit at times in this match without doubt, but I have a problem with just how far some people are going with their bullsh*t - Kumble saying only one side played in the spirit of the game, Roebuck crapping on about Ponting standing down etc, India saying they'll quit the tour.

You know the irony of the whole lot? Push past the turmoil and we have a Test match that will be remembered for years to come, a match that generated massive interest throughout and continues to dominate headlines even now.

Could there be anything better for the sport in general? People love controversy.

fish eel

Immortal
JJ said:
I'm not defending Singh - although it might sound like it - he's been given an appropriate punishment. The thread is about Ponting's and Australia's perceived arrogance and lack of respect for the game and the opposition[/quote]

In the context of the current events, you cannot do that fairly IMO without mentioning Singh.

And yesm, it does sound like you are defending Singh and condoning his actions, which is tantamount to condoning racism on the sporting field IMO.

JJ

Immortal
Dunno, but wishing the destruction of two nations and then stressing you meant it ain't that classy f**kwit

El Diablo said:
sometimes i just wish Pakistan and India would nuke each other

El Diablo said:
not at all

i meant it