What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rookie coaches with experienced assistants

i've noticed this in a few clubs lately they have a rookie in there as head coach but a more senior coach with a lot more experience as assistant

steve price & steve folkes
mick potter & royce simmons
trent robinson & jason taylor
shane flanagan & peter sharp

strider

Post Whore
i've noticed this in a few clubs lately they have a rookie in there as head coach but a more senior coach with a lot more experience as assistant

yeah - folkes gets around doesn't he

thinks clubs are scared of these guys who have experience but failed at some point, so don't wanna pay em the big top coach bucks, but want their experience involved somehow

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Best for a rookie head coach to be surrounded by some people with experience. It would be suicide to have none of the coaches with any experience.

Chipmunk

Coach

Although Mick Potter doesnt have alot of NRL exprience I wouldnt classify Royce Simmons that much more experienced than Mick Potter.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Although Mick Potter doesnt have alot of NRL exprience I wouldnt classify Royce Simmons that much more experienced than Mick Potter.

Royce:

Super league - 4 years

NRL - 8 years

Potter:

Super league - 6 years.

NRL - Debut this year.

Based purely on number of years coaching, Simmons has Potter covered.

lingard

Coach
If Neil Henry gets the sack from the Cowboys this year, there might be another rookie coach signing. Is there a shortage of good coaches? Or are the really good ones just so much better than the rest?

Tony Bongo

Bench
Watching the Titans today and reading this blog I was reminded of how they started with a rookie coach in Cartwright and how he is still there to date. Even after earning a wooden spoon he has still been able to attract some very good players in recent times. I think this speaks volumes for a club primarily focused on stability and it is clear that the Titans supporting the coach has reaped rewards. I was one who thought they were crazy signing him on for five years but it seems that in light of the stability they have created it has paid off.

Latest posts