What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rookie of the year - Walsh or Walker?

Rookie of the year

• Reece Walsh

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Sam Walker

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Other - please state

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Easy! Who’s your rookie of the year and why?

Walsh - 9 tries, 10 try assists in 13 games

Walker - 7 tries and 17 try assists in 17 games

I can’t really see any other other rookies coming close. Maybe Charlie Staines if he scores a few more tries, or Daine Laurie looked good before getting injured.
Also, honourable mention for Matt Burton - played 7 games before this year so is just out of contention, but has been on fire and would have been in contention too

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Trying not to be biased- Walsh for me. Walsh has done as well as Walker in a team with far less talent, often having to do it all himself. Origin call up that wasn’t to be, and over all has shown that he can be versatile and play half, full back or off the bench, doing well in each position

JJ

Immortal
Two outstanding rookies... putting bias aside, I'd go Walker - he's playing 7 in a team still competitive, and lost Keary, Friend, Cordner - the former two would have been critical in helping him along...

Similar argument can be made for Walsh, no wrong answer there

Grapple

Bench
Walker easily. Walsh has been great for the warriors, he has done more than enough and shown that he is a great talent with a whole lot of potential but Sam has shown leadership qualities and the ability to control the game well above his age level. Time and time again. Easy choice.

Walsh with our injured ravaged team. Each week we had a different team. Walsh still shines. Walker gets the Silver Medal. Walshy looks better as the Golden Child because the quality of the Roosters club is more widespread to assist Walker.

jaseg

Juniors
They'll give it to Walker because he plays for the Roosters and has had a better platform to work from.

Both clubs have been annihilated by injury, but the Roosters were coming from a much better position, have a better and established coaching regime, and Walker had a preseason there. Reece came in part way through the year and has been great behind a much worse team. I'd just lean Reece... but Walker wouldn't be a bad pick at all. They're close - but voting will go heavier at Walker asa result of him being in a better situation. I'd be pretty surprised if Reece gets it.

Rich102

Staff member
Walsh. Shines like a star. With little protection.
Appreciate him while he is here.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Walsh becuase he’s doing it in a tougher environment and producing more highlights per game. But both would be worthy.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't know Walker's situation, but the fact Walsh came in without having played at all in 2020, without a pre-season, and has done what he's done in a bottom 8 side is ridiculous.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Might be biased lol, Josh Schuster for me, phenomenal year and was talk if he didn’t get injured was in line for an origin bench spot. Can break the line on his own, can put others through the line, can take a hard carry and make plenty of metres, has a kicking game and has done it all out of his natural position. Wouldn’t swap him for anyone

Might be biased lol, Josh Schuster for me, phenomenal year and was talk if he didn’t get injured was in line for an origin bench spot. Can break the line on his own, can put others through the line, can take a hard carry and make plenty of metres, has a kicking game and has done it all out of his natural position. Wouldn’t swap him for anyone
He is definitely up there. Very skillful player.

Meth

Staff member
I went Walker, just ahead of Schuster (who I'm not sure is technically a rookie)

Walsh definitely up there.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Yip, 5 games in your previous 2 years is cut off.
Burton had 7, so is just out of contention.

Sorry Beaver, can’t believe I missed Schuster!

JJ

Immortal
I think it's Walker easily actually - both going to wear those horrid maroon jerseys for a while I imagine

Last edited: