What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

WHO WILL BE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR?

• Total voters

Kasper

Bench
Who does everyone think it will be? I personally believe it is out of Firman and Slater with Witt an outside chance. My vote go's to Firman though.

RenoufPhan

Juniors
I'm not very fond of the Dragons, but you've got to give it to Firman.

He's been great all year for the Dragons, and halfback would probably have to be the most difficult position on the field for a rookie to make an impact.

All 3 of those guys have been great, but I'd give the nod to Firman.

kaon

Juniors
Billy Slater

Most of his exploits get missed by the mainstream media and he has just been explosive down there.

weasel

First Grade
I have a feeling it will be Slater who wins it, although Firman probably deserves it. It's a close call though.

Frenzy

Juniors
kaon said:
Billy Slater

Most of his exploits get missed by the mainstream media and he has just been explosive down there.

This of course applies to most of his failings. He's a very shoddy defender.

Firman for mine with Matt Hilder of the Sharks as a smokey. He's been outstanding in an underperformed side. Played every game, one of only 3 Sharks to do that this year.

Anonymous

Juniors
There's a tendancy to favour halfbacks in these type of awards. Slater may be a great attacking player but he isnt in the middle all the time. Besides, the commentators keep going on about how Brett Firman is the next Andrew Johns (got to feel for Firmo there) so you'd think that'd be enough to see him bolt home.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
They all have played well this year but i believe Brett Firman would have the lead, he is a future Australian halfback i reckon.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
the next couple of yrs are going to be fought out between firman and young witty for all rep games :D witt queenslander and firman nsw, they both look great,i think witt has done a great job considering the injuries that parra have had.we had no forwards for most the yr and he still stands out,looking forward to seeing him behind a strong pack of forwards next yr.firman is a great prospect aswell,but im looking through blue n gold eyes :D so i go with witty.

bucko

Juniors
I've gpne Firman. Witt's starting to firm with Parra's late surge, and Slater was really good for a patch in the middle of the season, but has dropped off a bit, much like Phil Graham.

Frenzy

Juniors
Willow said:
There's a tendancy to favour halfbacks in these type of awards. Slater may be a great attacking player but he isnt in the middle all the time. Besides, the commentators keep going on about how Brett Firman is the next Andrew Johns (got to feel for Firmo there) so you'd think that'd be enough to see him bolt home.

Well Willow, me ole china plate, ordinarily I'd agree with that but I think that pertains to major awards more.

Perhaps some people can help me out here. Here's a list of all the past ROTYs I could find. Not many halfbacks in this incomplete list (knowing my luck after posting this all the missing ones will be halves :lol:)

Anyway, if you can, fill in the blanks for me peeps :)

1980 -
1981 -
1982 - Phil Blake - 5/8
1983 -
1984 -
1985 - Steve Linnane - halfback
1986 - Paul Sironen - second rower
1987 - Alan Wilson - second rower
1988 -
1989 - Jim Serdaris - hooker
1990 -
1991 -
1992 - Matthew Rodwell - halfback
1993 - Jack Elsegood - winger
1994 - Steve Menzies - second rower
1995 - Mathew Rogers - winger
1996 - Glen Morrison - lock
1997 - no awards
1998 - Mark McLinden - halfback
1999 - Michael Vella - prop
2000 - Tasesa Lavea - 5/8
2001 - Braith Anasta - 5/8
2002 - Matt Utai - winger

Frenzy

Juniors
kaon said:
Didn't Ben Kennedy come in for an award a few years ago?

I'm positive he is a past Dally M ROTY as well but I can't establish what year.

Could be wrong though and he may of been a Norwich Rising Star award winner

HappyTiger

Juniors
Id say the most consistant of those guys mentioned would be Slater.Firman of late has been ordinary and Witt i dont think has had the same impact as the other 2 guys.My vote Slater.