What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rookies

Walter sobchak

First Grade
as a casual Pommie warriors fan can you guys name a few rookies to look out for this upcoming season.

Will we see haze perham breakthrough? What about that Fijian kid on the wing?

Also do you guys know if west tigers centre/halfback Tommy Talau and knights fullback star toa have opted to play for the kiwis??

Thanks in advance guys.

Iron Lion

Juniors
Rookies... I know that word... I remember it from a long-ago time.

Oh, I remember now... the hope, the excitement ... the ...!!

Must not think about rookies... Must not question the process .... must back Kearney...

jaseg

Juniors
No idea about Talau but Toa played Junior Kiwis this year I'm pretty sure.

Not much hope RE rookies... maybe Perham or Ravutaumada, but given the number of guys in front of them it seems unlikely. Beale in particular just clogging up any reserve spots.

Actually, Jackson Frei (or for a real sneaky one, Eliesa Katoa) might be the best bet? We just moved Satae & Sao out with no replacement so..

Walter sobchak

First Grade
No idea about Talau but Toa played Junior Kiwis this year I'm pretty sure.

Not much hope RE rookies... maybe Perham or Ravutaumada, but given the number of guys in front of them it seems unlikely. Beale in particular just clogging up any reserve spots.

Actually, Jackson Frei (or for a real sneaky one, Eliesa Katoa) might be the best bet? We just moved Satae & Sao out with no replacement so..
Toa also played for the Aussie schoolboys against England in 2018. As did Talau.

Surely tommy Talau qualifies for NZ through his dad??

As for the warriors I remember the good old days of Stacey Jones, clinton toopi, nigel&joe vagana and Ali Lauititi etc coming through the ranks.

Iron Lion

Juniors
The two best forward rookies at the Warriors in terms of impact are Elisea Katoa & Tom Ale.

Both big dudes & powerful.

Katoa is so talented he is in the full-time squad but he is nowhere near ready to play on a weekly basis.

Tom Ale is another Jason Taumalolo but his development stalled this year after he was a complete terror for the opposition in 2018. He was impossible to bring down first tackle or 1 om 1. Only signed on a development contract though I heard several clubs were wanting to sign Ale.

Warriors better invest heavily into him in 2020 so he is ready for NRL in 2021.

jaseg

Juniors
Toa also played for the Aussie schoolboys against England in 2018. As did Talau.

Surely tommy Talau qualifies for NZ through his dad??

As for the warriors I remember the good old days of Stacey Jones, clinton toopi, nigel&joe vagana and Ali Lauititi etc coming through the ranks.

Playing schoolboys just means he/they was going to school in Australia, doesn't it? (which, given that he's a Knights player..) - Taumalolo, Foran, Benji, Taupau, Proctor etc all played for the Australian schoolboys team for example.

Honestly... we could have great prospects but it wouldn't matter. Kearney is a massive roadblock. Most will be lucky to see the field.

Iron Lion

Juniors
Playing schoolboys just means he/they was going to school in Australia, doesn't it? (which, given that he's a Knights player..) - Taumalolo, Foran, Benji, Taupau, Proctor etc all played for the Australian schoolboys team for example.

Honestly... we could have great prospects but it wouldn't matter. Kearney is a massive roadblock. Most will be lucky to see the field.

I feel the same and think I think , nah the writings on the wall for Kearney. He knows he has to blood players now or he is out the door.

O'Sullivan is not even targetting seasoned players. They are going after rookies on purpose.

New owners probably smart. To win back the fans you have to do it from the roots up.

Young talent is there

Katoa
Ale
P.Turner
Curran
Frei
Rauvutamada
Egan
* Tino Fa'asuamaleaui

JJ

Immortal
I
New owners probably smart. To win back the fans you have to do it from the roots up.

As the near immortal Yogi Berra once said "It's deja vu all over again" LOL

Think he also said, "the future ain't what it used to be..." seems pertinent too

MKEB...

Staff member
I was playing against Willie in under 13s in New Plymouth, Not sure if he was born in Samoa or not. But I recall him sounding Kiwi as

Matua

Bench
Could the son not be eligible for NZ considering he was born in Oz and his dad was born in Samoa. (Although the mum could be a KIwi and some news articles state Talau was born in the Naki).

Does the Dad being an NZ citizen give eligibility?

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Could the son not be eligible for NZ considering he was born in Oz and his dad was born in Samoa. (Although the mum could be a KIwi and some news articles state Talau was born in the Naki).

Does the Dad being an NZ citizen give eligibility?

dad being an NZ citizen would give him ancestry eligibility you’d think.