What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roopy

We all know so much about each other on this message board already, but I'll flesh out the details a bit.

I am a 43 year old male nurse who has worked at Morisset Psych Hospital for 25 years (since I was 17). The majority of that timehas beenspent working in maximum and medium security units for mentally ill offenders, but I'm a bit old for that caper now, so i work in a psych rehab area called 'The Cottages,' which is basically a group of old staff residences in the grounds of the hospital converted to hold patients who are trained ineveryday living skills, such as cooking and cleaning, in the hope they may be able to one day live in the community. This is the worlds most boring job, but on the good side, I could do it in my sleep, so it's good money for no effort.

I am going to uni at present to update my nursing qualification to a degree, which is necessary because my qualification is over 20 years old. The semester starting next week is my last, thank god, and I am maintaining a comfortable credit average with very little effort (was getting destinctions, but have slackened off towards the end).

My other interest is Australian Colonial history, which I have bored you all with on occassion. I have been writing a book on a particular bushranger gang for about five years and it is in the final stages of being prepared for printing at present. I enjoyed the research for the book, but the writing and preparations for publication have been anything but enjoyable. I don't recommend anyone write a book, it's a pain. Added to the drudgery of writing etc, there is a complete certainty that I will lose a lot of money with the book - even if I manage to sell every copy (very unlikely), I will still lose several thousand dollars on the whole deal, but its really a hobby, so I suppose it's no different to people spending money on things like sport or crafts.

I have just moved house and am now living one street back from Lake Macquarie with good water views and a fairly pleasent little house on an average sized block. I haven't made up my mind if I like it yet.

Rugby League is the only winter sport I follow, and have done so all my life. I was a very average player, but enjoyed having a run around. I never saw the need to train, but no one did in the grade I played, well, the young blokes who were trying to get to a better grade did, but no one else. It's very different now, the team I used to play for has a 'If you don't train, you don't play' policy.

I spend far too much time on the net, and i can be contacted at the email address in my profile or on MSN Messenger using the same email address.

Unlike many people on this message board, I am no fan of boxing, because I have had to see the negative results of the sport far too often in my professional life - but I don't want to spend a lot of time preaching on the subject, I usually choose to avoid boxing threads.

C

CanadianSteve

Surely everyone here will purchase a copy of Roopy's book, won't they?

J

Johnsy

Excellent post roopy.
I am Johnsy, 31. Studied environmental science at uni, finished 1.5 years ago. I have been working in admin since and cant stand it. I am applying for the qld police, and that is a drawn out process at best. I have been waiting for the letter of confirmation for a few months now and I am really starting to feel frustrated much to Mrs Johns delight ;).
I am married 2 kids and live in a great suburb in Bris Vegas (Tarragindi). I am hopefull to get in for the March 11 intake, but it is more likely to be May 13. After graduating from the pork academy I want to end up in Towoomba. great place big enough but not too big. Great parks etc and excellent schools for my daughters. My wife is doing her masters in educ, and should be finished about mid year 03. Depending on the cops I am unsure what i will end up doing, just so long as it is a challenge, rewarding and secure, (not asking much, considering general employment conditions in 2002).
As a family we are looking forward to earning "decent" money after being students for 5 or so years. I love Brisbane as a city to live in, but I really do struggle to consider myself a queenslander, cant see it happening, ever !! As most of you know I have a thing for ther dragons, since I was 5 in fact, and yes cant see that one changing either. I am looking forward to seeing a few other members posts. Good effort Roopy.
Johns

R

roostergirl

Ok, my turn!

I am a 28yo female who lives at Kirra on the Gold Coast. I have had a lot of different work experience, only because I have no idea what I want to do with my life! Currently I am managing a Pizza Hut Restaurant.

I went to High School on Brisbane. Did pretty good, but only decided to start a Uni degree 3 years ago. I am exactly halfway through a Bachelor of Business at Griffith Uni, here on the Gold Coast. I am majoring in Human Resources & Marketing.

I have a lovely boyfriend of 2 years who is 21. No plans of marriage or brats yet
emsmilep.gif

I got into League at about the age of 14. It was always a major priority at school & the footy players were Gods! I remember going to watch Valleys play every Friday night, then wandering over the bridge to Brothers too. The Broncos entered the comp when I was unfortunately at the same school as Ribots kids. The whole Brisbane thing just seemed to be poluted with arrogance & I was a North Sydney fan from that moment on. Watching the Penrith GF in 1991, I noticed a Freddy! When he went to Easts I started supporting them also. Super League made me lose interest in League & I didn't bother following it much then.Norths left the comp & I became a 100% roosters supporter.

Oops I wrote a lot more than planning!

Hmmm...where do i start???

OK, well im a 19yr old student from Western Sydney. Growing up in the at times colourful area (as Legend,Willow and others will attest to) has given me a pretty broad view of life and people. I have to say I enjoy it here though, its the sort of area where u learn new things all the time.

Im currently doing second year Business at UTS in the city. Found it quite a struggle to keep focus during first year, which reflected in the low pass marks. Neverbeen able to go well in subjects that have required regular and constant effort!Im majoring in Sports Management and Banking, and really hope to get somewhere, preferably in the sports industry. It was quite a difference at uni first year, being with a whole group of people who were definitely a lot more hard working than me!

I was never to dedicated in school. Quite a lot on the lazy side, i really wouldn't have gotten near my final marks if it wasn't for all the essay related subjects that i did. I was always thankful that I could 'at times' put together something that was mildly coherent, probably helped me through the final year.

League is my sport, though i have a tolerance for most codes. Always gone with the Bulldogs, a long family tradition continued. First game i remember (just) was the 1988 gf against Balmain. Stuck with them through some terrible times (riots, SL etc etc). Couldn't follow another team.

Still got a good group of friends that really help at times. I'd hate to imagine what life would be like without some of them. Still on the single side, but hey, you can't have it all.

Moffo.

I'm glad you asked that question Raidpatch.

Some people were asking for a section devoted to 'getting to know you' threads, and one was started (see left of page for 'Get to know you' section).

I thought I'd start the ball rolling, and I thought others might put up their own threads under their own names - but this is good too.

Maybe if we all had a thread under our own names in the 'Get to know you' section we could use them to pose questions to each other when we felt a need to communicate one on one, just a thought.

Thanks for the clarrification there Roopy. I just couldn't figure out what was happening.
Great idea about people posting on new threads though. I guess it's easier to track down members that way rather than scrolling through replies.

Infact, I'll go ahead and delete my reply and post it in the Get to know yousection under my username. It makes more sense to me that way.
I hope more people can contribute to this section because it makes for a good read in my opinion. Nothing like getting up close and personal.

Thanks again pal.

B

Bomber

Myself

I am a twenty year old non-smoking non-drinking Queenslander and currently into the third year of a five year Education course (more about that later). I was born and bred in Mossman which is a town of roughly 1500 people and hasn't changed much in the last twenty years. I went to primary school in Mossman and boarding school in Cairns at St Augustines College where I excelled in music, playing the piano and sitting AMEB exams (Level Eight) and 'anchoring' the SAC Stage Band, 1999 Queensland Catholic Gold Medallists.
emthup.gif

My sporting career has been far less illustrious, really a tale of tragedy. One game as goalkeeper for the Mossman Soccer Club (record - lost). One game for the Mossman-Mt Molloy cricket club (run out without facing a ball, 32 runs conceded off my only over). A few turnouts for the Port Douglas SLSC, once came second in the flags.....I think I've found my niche however as a league referee in the Cairns junior leagues, first as a touchie attached with the Saints club (1998 Grand Final!), and now as the referee for U6-10s for the mighty Mossman-Port Douglas Sharks. It's tough going and I'm not the fittest bloke around, but it's my favourite four hours all week!

Academically I did pretty well out of high school, graduating in 1999. From there it was only a hop, skip and jump to James Cook University. I originally stayed at the student accomidation that they had set up there, but the Americans and Norweigans pissing up every night, plus some personal family business, took its toll on my studies, and I probably spent more time playing Nintendo, checking WORL and eating McDonalds than I care to remember. I made some great mates though and was asked for my second year to move in with them in Smithfield, next to JCU.

Despite the great company, academically it didn't really work out, and both of my mates bolted during the year (one graduated and works as a lawyer in Melbourne, the other deferred and went on a nine-month sabbicatal throughout Asia). Thus I was left with two blokes I barely knew (one was a pommie drop-out who spent all his time playing Dungeons and Dragons and drinking Diet Coke, the other was a nice bloke but spent all his time studying). At the end of last year, I was issued with an ultimatum by the university effectively saying that if I tripped one more time, I would be back in Mossman quicker than you could say 'chicken-in-a-minute'.

The consequences of my non-performance at uni was that my degree was extended from four to five years and I'm doing extra subjects to make up the slack. Also, I have shifted camp from Cairns to Mossman, living with my mum and sister at Newell Beach, 6km north of town. I feel in some respects that my life has come full circle, as this is the first year I've been living at home since Grade Seven.With the help of tutors etc, 2002 <u>will</u> be my year!

Pets......I've had a few.Our forte as a family has been dogs (five). We've also had a few cats, including one which was sold to us with five buns in the proverbial oven. Turtles, mice, chooks.....our current pet is a great kelpie named 'Chief' after one of the greats of RL. He also has a new nickname at the moment - Dracula - due to his ability to sniff out sanitary pads from anywhere.......

League......I've been a Cowboys man since day one, always dreaming of That Day when we go all the way. However, I'm enough of a realist not to bullshit to everyone a la Harkin that we are worldbeaters. I think the current administration is great and will definately make a difference to the club. Buying a premiership is not the way to go.

That's about all. Questions asked, answers will be given. Cheers
embeer.gif

Latest posts