What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters game next Monday

saintjeff

Juniors
We are a bit slow after a bye ,with two in 4weeks .It is stopping our momentum.
The rorters got piggy back penalties from Cummins and yet the square ups were only a minute from h/t.
They are the most penalised side ,if we deprived them of the ball we win .
Yet we let sheck out of the in goals and then Will drops the bomb .Oh! what could have been.
We have to beat parra to get back on the horse

Gutsy effort from the boys.

Horribly outgunned in the forwards tonight.

Benny Creagh ran with purpose, super effort. DeBelin and Ah Mah tackled hard, lots of effort.

Halves were under pressure because of ordinary go forward.

Flo changing wings disrupted both wings.

Didn't get up in defence once the avalanche of penalties started.

We scored a great long distance try, best try of game.

We should be proud of the effort and understand the roster has its limitations.

Enjoy the ride guys. Will be happy to see us scrape in to the 8. Comp is very competitive and we have the worst draw imaginable. Excellent effort thus far. Lets hope the coaching staff is able to get the boys up mentally for Saints next game.

expert

Juniors
Gutsy effort from the boys.

Horribly outgunned in the forwards tonight.

Benny Creagh ran with purpose, super effort. DeBelin and Ah Mah tackled hard, lots of effort.

Halves were under pressure because of ordinary go forward.

Flo changing wings disrupted both wings.

Didn't get up in defence once the avalanche of penalties started.

We scored a great long distance try, best try of game.

We should be proud of the effort and understand the roster has its limitations.

Enjoy the ride guys. Will be happy to see us scrape in to the 8. Comp is very competitive and we have the worst draw imaginable. Excellent effort thus far. Lets hope the coaching staff is able to get the boys up mentally for Saints next game.
Touched up by a depleted Roosters ain't that good of an effort there bro.............

Minh

First Grade
I'm still very proud of our team, they never gave up. We sorely miss Thompson, I think the big forward packs still have the edge over us but it's nowhere near as bad as the last 3 years. You can see the big Roosters forwards do damage and often get over the advantage line when they get a head of steam but our guys still kept chopping away at them.

The Nick

Bench
Gutsy effort but very frustrating.

Roosters came to play tonight and we struggled to match their intensity for 80mins. Their line speed in defence was very good - sometimes too good, I think we were unlucky to miss out on a few penalties there.

One positive was that despite our limited possession in the first half, and the fact the boys were obviously struggling in patches they hung in there and didn't give up. I noticed a few times when we were defending on our line Marshall and Lestrange were very vocal and doing their best to inspire the boys. The last few seasons we would have been put to the sword in a game like tonight, but our boys hung in there and pushed until the end. They're absolute competitors and they want to win. The attitude was there, the execution wasn't.

Bring on next week.

Bigcoq

Juniors
I'm still very proud of our team, they never gave up. We sorely miss Thompson, I think the big forward packs still have the edge over us but it's nowhere near as bad as the last 3 years. You can see the big Roosters forwards do damage and often get over the advantage line when they get a head of steam but our guys still kept chopping away at them.
Lucky JWH, Moa and Jennings didn't play?

FlameThrower

Bench
The last 2 losses against big forward packs, has been disappointing, perhaps a coincidence, but in both games we started a bit slow and the intensity was not there, I think what will really hurt us now is an injury against our key players, like Duges, Marshall or Widdop, plus take away Tyson or Thompson and we may struggle with depth?
As has been stated we need a big solid effort against Parra and can't turn up expecting a win on a plate.
Finally, I was there at the game and the atmposhere was terrible ...imagine the same game at Kogarah?????

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Teams are starting to figure out how to get around our compressed goal line defense. Dogs exploited it and Roosters found us out a few times tonight, good scramble and attacking errors from them stopped another few tries.

I like Matthews and all, but god we miss Thompson so badly. That guy brings so much enthusiasm and aggression, I dont think its a coincidence that our forwards look flatter since he's been out. He ups the line speed, leads the kick chase and runs great angles.

Our attack looked a bit average in the first half, but I dont know why we cant catch teams out all game the way we did in the last 10 minutes. There was some great attacking moves to out Flo and Aitken away.

Dragon66

Juniors
Not to much to be down in the dumps about.
With almost the same roster as the past few years we are punching above our weight with Mary in charge.

We were right in this game tonite right up to the final minutes.
Getting pizzelled with penalties in the first half when it counted made the contest almost unwinnable except we almost did, and as far as Marshall and Widdop's kicking games is concerned it was their worst effort this year. No pressure on the Roosters coming off their goal line and no repeat sets from line dropouts. Makes a big difference to the momentum of a game.

We said at the start of the year that we expected a 7 to 10 finish this season, so as long as they compete like that every week they can count on me to support them 100%.

We all know we are still short two big strong aggressive players up front, and maybe another back with pace. I can only say that I am enjoying every minute of the ride so far.

dwight12

Juniors
Teams are starting to figure out how to get around our compressed goal line defense. Dogs exploited it and Roosters found us out a few times tonight, good scramble and attacking errors from them stopped another few tries.

I like Matthews and all, but god we miss Thompson so badly. That guy brings so much enthusiasm and aggression, I dont think its a coincidence that our forwards look flatter since he's been out. He ups the line speed, leads the kick chase and runs great angles.

Our attack looked a bit average in the first half, but I dont know why we cant catch teams out all game the way we did in the last 10 minutes. There was some great attacking moves to out Flo and Aitken away.

I have been worried about being found out on the flanks for quite a while now. Hopefully we can address this. I 100% agree in regards to Thompson.

saintjeff

Juniors
Hey whateveryour name is the dragons beat you on anzac day with a full team ,so go away and become a politician as you talk the same bull as they do

hewi

Bench
Was at the game. Thought from very early that the Dragons hadn't turned up to play. Line speed was non existent. Benji's kicking awful. Fifth tackle option, non existent. Inability to wrap,up the tackled player , bad gave the roosters to many second phase plays. Lastly, far far to much side ways running, on a couple of occasions Dugan and Widdop actually ran backwards.Not pretty to watch. Penalties and number of tackles took it's toll. To beat teams like the dogs and roosters we need Benji to be kicking into touch in the corners and constantly turning their forwards around. I think the byes have not done us any favours and yes we miss Thompson.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Not to much to be down in the dumps about.
With almost the same roster as the past few years we are punching above our weight with Mary in charge.

We were right in this game tonite right up to the final minutes.
Getting pizzelled with penalties in the first half when it counted made the contest almost unwinnable except we almost did, and as far as Marshall and Widdop's kicking games is concerned it was their worst effort this year. No pressure on the Roosters coming off their goal line and no repeat sets from line dropouts. Makes a big difference to the momentum of a game.

We said at the start of the year that we expected a 7 to 10 finish this season, so as long as they compete like that every week they can count on me to support them 100%.

We all know we are still short two big strong aggressive players up front, and maybe another back with pace. I can only say that I am enjoying every minute of the ride so far.

good post pretty well somes up my thinking as well

BennyV

Referee
Was at the game. Thought from very early that the Dragons hadn't turned up to play. Line speed was non existent. Benji's kicking awful. Fifth tackle option, non existent. Inability to wrap,up the tackled player , bad gave the roosters to many second phase plays. Lastly, far far to much side ways running, on a couple of occasions Dugan and Widdop actually ran backwards.Not pretty to watch. Penalties and number of tackles took it's toll. To beat teams like the dogs and roosters we need Benji to be kicking into touch in the corners and constantly turning their forwards around. I think the byes have not done us any favours and yes we miss Thompson.

Can I ask, why is the plan against big packs to kick it out? We would be far better off kicking on the 4th and keeping it in play with a good kick chase to cram them down that end of the field - then getting plenty of outside backs scooting low at their forwards. Kicking into touch simply gives their forwards a breather...

Titans used these tactics perfectly to deconstruct the heaviest pack in the history of the game last week...

Mr Red

First Grade
Can I ask, why is the plan against big packs to kick it out? We would be far better off kicking on the 4th and keeping it in play with a good kick chase to cram them down that end of the field - then getting plenty of outside backs scooting low at their forwards. Kicking into touch simply gives their forwards a breather...

Titans used these tactics perfectly to deconstruct the heaviest pack in the history of the game last week...

agree with this..
kicking into touch and slowing the game down actually goes against our own mobile pack and plays into the hands of the big pack.
yes there are times we do need the rest, however it seems the default option to kick into touch rather than being more selective about when to use it and when to not.
our long kicking game overall seems a bit one dimensional

Latest posts