What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters Player Movements For 2010

I guess this could be the thread to discuss changes to our team that occurred in 2009.

In: Nick Kouparitsas (Canterbury Bulldogs - immediately), Smith Samau (Gold Coast Titans - immediately)
Out: Iosia Soliola (St Helens Saints), Craig Fitzgibbon (Hull - not sure which one...)

Last edited:
Source: sydneyroosters.com.au

Soliola to head to England in 2010
Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Sydney Roosters confirm that Sia Soliola has signed a three year deal with St Helens commencing from 2010.
Soliola has been at the Roosters since 2004 and has gone through the club’s junior program from SG Ball to NRL level.
When informing Roosters CEO Steve Noyce of his decision, Sia expressed his desire to leave the club on a high.
“He was really enthusiastic about putting in a strong year for the Roosters and leaving the club on a successful note.”

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
Typical, finally shows a bit of form in the second row after putting up with his sh*t in the centers the previous 2 years and he signs with a new club.

adamkungl

Immortal
ffs...

the last 2 weeks have been his best ever. He is a killing machine in the second row. So many big hits. And now he leaves. f**k.

JT_

Juniors
No big loss, as Cherrington and maybe Sa will adequately replace him. Although i may eat my own words by the seasons end.

ffs...

the last 2 weeks have been his best ever. He is a killing machine in the second row. So many big hits. And now he leaves. f**k.

Jeez, that is a bit of an exaggeration, man. He killed it in 2005 and has not come close to replicating half of his form. I like Sia, I really do, but I am not going to miss him.

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
Yes Sia made 2 HUGE hits on MNF, but did you watch how many times he ran out of the line and missed a tackle? There wer several occasions, 1 was right on the tryline.

Chook Norris

First Grade
no big loss

but we have to let some other forwards go.. (O'meley, mason, fitzy after this year)
we need some quick, mobile.. especially mobile second rowers who know more than just holding onto the ball.. and quick centres

the big lumbering forward pack game Freddy is playing is killing me.. and everyone else

James Aubusson.. glad he's injured for the rest of the year to be quite frank

JT_

Juniors
Rest of the year? Did he do an ACL or something?!? Yep, definitely we need to get rid of this old school forward pack and either push Sa, and Cherrington to secondrow, or buy maybe another secondrower in the mould of Creagh/Tupou.

JT_

Juniors
He was good playing there last year forcing Tupou to the bench during the middle part of the season until he got injured. He did look alot better against the Storm so maybe getting snubbed by NZ test team has given him a bit of a reality check.

Two weeks at Newtown would give him a reality check. He has been lazy and looks uninterested in 2009. Some of the worst defending I have ever seen in my life has come from Sa this year, which saddens me because I have enjoyed watching these past few years.

Halycon

Juniors
I'm going to have to disagree with the sentiments in this thread. We have plenty of first grade quality backrowers:

M.Aubb
Fitzy
Sa
Mason
Koup.
Ahern

They aren't the issue. What we desperately need is a pair of quality centres (and perhaps a hooker). We currently have none and I've noticed people are all too happy, on one hand, to advocate a backrower (M.Aubb) and an untested centre in Williamson as our combination whilst pushing for more backrowers?

Our go forward in recent weeks has not been terribly bad. What has been, however, is when we shift the ball wide. Jones looks afraid and hesitant to catch the damn ball whilst Sa just looks out of place completely. In essence, we just don't look like scoring through our outside backs at all, and I have little confidence in them.

We should be having a go at off-contract, talented and most importantly fast outside backs. I've heard rumors that Inu wants to come to the Roosters, that could be a handy acquisition to begin with.

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
Sure we have quite a few decent second rowers, but what everyone is calling out for a good to great second rowers. From what I've seen so far Maubbs has played better at center than lock. Fitzy is coming towards the end of his career, expecting him to retire at the seasons end. Sa could be good if he gets his head in the game and out of French rugby union as he is terribly inconsistant. Mason hasn't been consistantly good for 4 years now and has proven he is best off the bench as an impact player. Koupiristas is only an average player at best really and is a player you like to have off your bench for depth. Ahern from what I've seen in the couple of games is very raw still and I don't know how he will turn out. You didn't mention Shack who has been one of our best by far this year, and Cherrington, probably our best second rower in terms of current ability combined with potential.

I agree, Jones is terrible at center, never looks threatening at all. Maubs has proven he is a good center though, good defender, strong runner and has plenty of pace to burn also, so he might be wasted at second row.

I'm going to have to disagree with the sentiments in this thread. We have plenty of first grade quality backrowers:

M.Aubb
Fitzy
Sa
Mason
Koup.
Ahern

They aren't the issue. What we desperately need is a pair of quality centres (and perhaps a hooker). We currently have none and I've noticed people are all too happy, on one hand, to advocate a backrower (M.Aubb) and an untested centre in Williamson as our combination whilst pushing for more backrowers?

Our go forward in recent weeks has not been terribly bad. What has been, however, is when we shift the ball wide. Jones looks afraid and hesitant to catch the damn ball whilst Sa just looks out of place completely. In essence, we just don't look like scoring through our outside backs at all, and I have little confidence in them.

We should be having a go at off-contract, talented and most importantly fast outside backs. I've heard rumors that Inu wants to come to the Roosters, that could be a handy acquisition to begin with.

Mitchy Aubusson is a centre, not a backrower. There has never been a reason to change this, his form in centre is great. He'd be great. He's played like five games in the forwards.

Inu, I'm not so sure about him right now.

JT_

Juniors
Kris Inu looks disinterested at the Eels. Has been for quite some time now. A change of scenery can definitely turn his game around and replicate that 2007 form. He can play pretty much anywhere across the backline but he'd be very useful as a left centre and alternatively on the wing if required.

M Aubs, is a capable 2nd rower at best, not a first option. The only thing I have against M Aubs is that he's still a bit naive, or raw you could say. One example of this is when we are on a 2 on 1, he often passes very early instead of drawing the defender in and thus, ruining a potential try. He's got size and great mobility but just needs to get some game time to iron out a few flaws.

adamkungl

Immortal
Mitchy Aubusson is a centre, not a backrower. There has never been a reason to change this, his form in centre is great. He'd be great. He's played like five games in the forwards.

Thank you. Maubs can match it with the better centres in the comp. He doesn't have the flair but he's a top defender, gives good service to his winger, and is faster than he looks. Happy for him to be one of our long term centre. Imo when Minichiello and Maubs return we will see a huge improvement.

Two gun players will see some decent form from us, and I hope I don't overexaggerate when I say Maubs has been our best player for the last three years.

Halycon

Juniors

I've still gotta disagree mate. I think M.Aubs is probably our best choice at centre as it stands, he can certainly defend and read a play well, but he simply doesn't have the flair or speed that other sides centres offer. I'd compare him to a Ben Smith insofar as he just seems to be a talented backrower playing wider.

Inu, i'm not entirely sure on either as he's currently a fringe first grader, but essentially beggers cant be choosers.