What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ross Taylor announces retirement

JJ

Immortal
He’s achieved everything he could have, hitting those winning runs in the test championship was probably the time to call it, but great that he’s playing a couple at home, and the odis

will miss him, just seems a good dude, and a terrific talent

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The best kiwi player of his era, never tried to steal the limelight, never tooted his own horn or or force himself into the captaincy, genuinely humble and dignified, stood up when it counted, including world cups and Australian tours. I hope him well.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
held the team together well prior to Bradmanson taking over, like him as a batsman, nice bloke too

King-Gutho94

Coach
Ross has a special place in kiwi history.

He is the only New Zealand test captain since i was born to have captained the kiwis to a test victory over Australia in Hobart 2011 😉.

Ross was a great 3 format batsman.

Almost scored a triple century against the Aussies in Perth. Yes it was a road but seriously anyone who scores 290 against a decent attack is a monumental effort and showed his true class.

And i am sure he would have liked just one more run against Australia as he finished with 999 test runs against Aussies.

King-Gutho94

Coach
He’s achieved everything he could have, hitting those winning runs in the test championship was probably the time to call it, but great that he’s playing a couple at home, and the odis

will miss him, just seems a good dude, and a terrific talent
Where would you rank him all time in regards to Kiwi batsman.

Martin Crowe was regarded as one of the best.

Kane Williamson will finish his career as the best i reckon.

Is Ross ranked 3rd behind those two.

JJ

Immortal
Where would you rank him all time in regards to Kiwi batsman.

Martin Crowe was regarded as one of the best.

Kane Williamson will finish his career as the best i reckon.

Is Ross ranked 3rd behind those two.
Some of our early greats (Donnelly, Dempster) weren’t able to play much, Glenn Turner too. In an all time team that’s probably the top 6

Dempster
Turner
Williamson
Donnelly
Crowe
Taylor

cerberus

Coach
Some of our early greats (Donnelly, Dempster) weren’t able to play much, Glenn Turner too. In an all time team that’s probably the top 6

Dempster
Turner
Williamson
Donnelly
Crowe
Taylor
hard call
john r reid must have been a pretty fair player
nathan astle was a nicker like ross .i believe if he played on drop in wickets his average could have been a lot better

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
hard call
john r reid must have been a pretty fair player
nathan astle was a nicker like ross .i believe if he played on drop in wickets his average could have been a lot better
Yep, Reid, Sutcliffe, JF Reid, Jones, there are a few, Reid would be a superstar today

Fangs

Coach
Very good batsman.

Had some lean runs and a habit of getting out cheaply at times. But that happens to the best of them. Current average at test level just over 45 and over 48 in ODI.

Still has some matches to play to improve that record as well.

Meth

Staff member
A pretty frustrating player at times. But then just when you write him off, he'd bounce back with a big score. Of the Kiwi players I've seen play, he's third.

On another note, he handled himself really well after getting booted as captain.

Lords was the time to retire, undoubtedly.

Reactions: JJ

Dempster
Turner
Williamson
Donnelly
Crowe
Taylor
No Room for Jeremy Coney ?? I doubt Danny Morrison would have been considered even for a second